So take a gander at what arrived from Greg today! I could take pictures of the fedex box and whatnot but you know what that looks like, right?

Sorry for the quality - I use my phone as my camera.

Video demo (better quality than the Keeley one methinks): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZt4mtAGn0U

Audio: On my profile.

Review: Overall I like this pedal. You can't make it sound bad no matter how you tweak the knobs. At the same time, the knobs really don't do much tweaking the pots don't seem to span many values (I'm no technical wizard, that's my guess at explaining it lol), the MOSFET switch doesn't drastically alter the sound or anything, and the 3 modes aren't terribly different (though the CompCut is definitely louder). The boost doesn't so much boost volume as it does beef up the sound. I think this pedal provides a bit more of it's own overdrive than I'd like - right now that's great because it sounds way better than my V5's overdrive, but when my Suckerpunch gets here, that's not a characteristic I'll want. So I think I'll like it less when the SP15 gets here.

I don't think you guys really need to know much about this pedal or I'd write more... this isn't rare or anything. Gearmandude (however it's spelled) did a side-by-side comparison of the handwired red vs the standard blue MOSFET's and they sound virtually identical. So the blue one at your GC/Sam Ash is the same thing, it just doesn't look as cool What I will say though, is that this pedal meshes with the Keeley Java Boost really well. It's made me seriously consider another Range Master-type pedal to go along with whatever pedal(s) I also get.

Anyways... 2 down, a bazillion to go
Last edited by josephde at May 20, 2010,
CompCut is the absolute shit if you're using it to boost an overdriven amp.

It lets you keep the amp's natural character with regards to touch sensitivity instead of compressing the hell out of it.

I rather dislike compression and I use the 800's overdrive, so naturally it's my favourite setting.

Also, my blue, non-MOSFET white knob FD2 is also handwired - are the standard production MOSFET versions different?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
CompCut is the absolute shit if you're using it to boost an overdriven amp.

It lets you keep the amp's natural character with regards to touch sensitivity instead of compressing the hell out of it.

I rather dislike compression and I use the 800's overdrive, so naturally it's my favourite setting.

Also, my blue, non-MOSFET white knob FD2 is also handwired - are the standard production MOSFET versions different?

Yeah. They're just PCB. And some of the 10th anniversaries are apparently PCB'ed as well. I've seen them on eBay and heard talk of them on other forums as well.
Last edited by josephde at May 19, 2010,
Quote by mexican_shred
congrats joe

lol it feels kind of out of place because it was bought with the intention of selling/trading it shortly after
HNGD

To be honest, although I am a huge fan of handwired PTP amps, when it comes to this sort of pedal I think a PCB is a better solution as long as the board is designed well. A "handwired" SS pedal is a bit of a gimick really, the signal paths are so short and the amplitude is so low that there is no advantage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
HNGD

To be honest, although I am a huge fan of handwired PTP amps, when it comes to this sort of pedal I think a PCB is a better solution as long as the board is designed well. A "handwired" SS pedal is a bit of a gimick really, the signal paths are so short and the amplitude is so low that there is no advantage.

I agree its gimicky, but that doesn't stop me from preferring handbuilt to PCB lol as long as the tone is there, I don't see a problem with going for something you also think is cool

Anyways, audio clip on my profile. Clean, then FD2.