Well, being the lower-middle class teenager I am, I can not afford anything more than Garageband '08 software, and a Digitech RP255 for my recording arsenal. And even though my signature clearly says that "if it sounds good, it doesn't matter if it's digital", I would like to ask for any tips to make my digital recordings sound more like, for example, John Frusciante (solo) recordings. The type of music that I love to play/record calls for much of a more lo-fi sound that I haven't been able to achieve with my recording software, and that people like John Frusciante get in their recordings. Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4TtHE__hn0

As I stated above, I have the ever-so expensive technology of a Digitech RP255 (to go straight into my computer) and the recording software of Garageband '08. Does anybody have any tips on making it sound as lo-fi as songs such as the one I posted above?

Thank you for any future help, and for taking the time to read my tall order

And no, I do not really expect to achieve an exact replication of that sound, but I hope you guys can help me get closer! After all, I'm not a recording wiz :-/.
I am a Stephenist
I have extensively used garageband and the Logic series
, a few things that come to mind:
1.) Use the 60's type amps offered in Garageband
2.) If you use the new age digital amps offered and it sounds to digital or "good", use the equalizer - turn the bass down and treble up slightly, that will get you back to the 'twang' of lo-fi recordings.

One trick I use - record the track once, then dub it over a 2nd time.
So, use 2 amps (2 tracks) - copy and paste the recording onto each.
You can make one amp have heavy reverb, and a second be clear.

that link you posted sounds like it also has some heavy reverb, so turn that up on the amp also.

hope that helps,
Just thought of this too --
If you have an Amplifier plug your guitar into that. bring it near your Mac. use a microphone to record it as opposed to the direct line in.
that will create some 'static' in the back round, might help get your desired effect..

the best thing to do is fool around and figure it out what you like to hear - you'll learn alot along the way.
Quote by JJ2003
I have extensively used garageband and the Logic series
, a few things that come to mind:
1.) Use the 60's type amps offered in Garageband
2.) If you use the new age digital amps offered and it sounds to digital or "good", use the equalizer - turn the bass down and treble up slightly, that will get you back to the 'twang' of lo-fi recordings.

One trick I use - record the track once, then dub it over a 2nd time.
So, use 2 amps (2 tracks) - copy and paste the recording onto each.
You can make one amp have heavy reverb, and a second be clear.

that link you posted sounds like it also has some heavy reverb, so turn that up on the amp also.

hope that helps,

Thank you for the advice . Do you suggest using the amp simulations on Garageband, because I usually just use the amp simulations on the Digitech? Should I probably cancel out most of the processing from the Digitech and rely more on Garagebands emulations?
I am a Stephenist
Quote by JJ2003
Just thought of this too --
If you have an Amplifier plug your guitar into that. bring it near your Mac. use a microphone to record it as opposed to the direct line in.
that will create some 'static' in the back round, might help get your desired effect..

the best thing to do is fool around and figure it out what you like to hear - you'll learn alot along the way.

Sorry, mic recording is out of the question for the most part. My recording is of little concern to the family, and I doubt they'd be willing to quiet down every time I wanted to use our family computer for recording :-/. My situation is slightly pitiful, lol.
I am a Stephenist
I have never used the recording interface your using - so if you want to try some of my tips I would turn it down so that it comes into garageband clear, with zero effects. Modulate and change the sound with garageband.
If you need some more help drop me a PM anytime,
Quote by JJ2003
I have never used the recording interface your using - so if you want to try some of my tips I would turn it down so that it comes into garageband clear, with zero effects. Modulate and change the sound with garageband.
If you need some more help drop me a PM anytime,

Thank you! I will experiment further with all these tips .
I am a Stephenist