So I found a jcm900 on craigslist for an absolute STEAL. The guy said its about 20 years old so I'm assuming its one of the earlier models from the early 90's. Does anyone know much about these? Are they better/worse than the ones that have been in production in recent years? Any big issues that they had? Any info would be great!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
how much is he selling it for? I'd say go play it and see if its good. The Jcm900 were a response to all the jcm800 getting modded for more distortion. I dont really know the difference between the old ones and new ones

I bought a Jcm800 for 600 off of craigslist from the 80s and came out amazing id say go for it
Buy Now.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Yeah I'm definitely interested in buying it if its in good condition. I just wanted to make sure the older models didnt have any massive flukes.
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by GibsonSG25
if anything the older ones are better

+1. the older the 900 the better imo. especially if it has 34's in it

whats the price?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
$350, like i said, it practically constitutes theft.
Into:
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by JWD32792
$350, like i said, it practically constitutes theft.

offer him $300. I have never heard of any big reliability issues with 900s. and I own one and the worst that has happened is it blew fuses and redplated tubes due to user error (biased wrong)
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
The only real design flaw regarding reliability is the PCB mounted pots but all 900s have those. Not a biggy really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
well id check it out, there were numerous models of 900s, including single channel models, which now adays most players dont want a single channel master volume amp, i actually had a master volume 900 called the SLX if i remember, i played in a hardcore band then, so i only used distortion, with OD it was beastly though, i guess i did use a volume pedal to clean up a tad sometimes
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
Agreed, the SL-X has better distortion but the Dual Reverb is more versatile because it has two real channels and not just two Master Volumes. If all one is playing is metal then the SL-X is the way to go but not if you have a wider repetoire.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification