I play through a 6505 with all jj's. The low end just recently became farty through eminence governors and man o wars in a x pattern. The speakers are not blown. I recently got a schecter hellraiser with emg 81's. Could I be due for a tube change? Tubes are almost 2years old and the amp is biased hot. Just wondering if tubes could be the problem as the low end used to be tight.
Check the batteries on your EMG's.
Have you lost a bunch of volume too? Could definitely be a blown preamp tube (smaller ones.)
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Ill change the battery. I have been swapping out the fx loop and phase tubes but no luck. No volume loss though. What could cause this problem? It still happens if I turn the bass down to 3 as well as the resonance...
could be a tube though without the decrease in volume then its not a power amp tubes
any other changes you've made to your rig?
Added an isp decimator, but the problem happened well after I added it.
Last edited by hardrckr120 at May 20, 2010,
Faulty power tubes often sound crappy long before you get any volume decrease. Replace them, if it doesn't fix the problem you will have spares and that's always a good thing to have around.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Would a less focused low end be a sign of tubes starting to go bad then? My tubes usually blow and I never have a chance to get them before they do, which is why I don't know what to listen for
Less focused low end, fizzy top end, lacking midrange, popping and farting, they can do anything when they start to die.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the feedback. The tubes are a couple years old and the high end has been pissing me off too lately so I will take it in. I really need to learn how to bias myself without dying
Tubes degrade over time and it's very likely that this is the case.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Definitely a power tube issue. Like Cathbard said, degrading tone and audio anomalies are signs of imminent power tube failure, long before any volume drops.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Ye the low end has always been tight and I have been happy with it, so I will have the power tubes and maybe the preamp as well just to get that tightness back