Poll: Is Morality Subjective or Objective?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Morality Subjective or Objective?
Subjective
88 79%
Objective
17 15%
What?
7 6%
Voters: 112.
Page 1 of 3
Today at lunch me and my friend were having a discussion (argument?) over whether anarchy could ever work. The conversation then turned into a discussion about morality, because for anarchy to work everyone would have to have a sense of morality and not be greedy and stuff...

But yeah the point is, my friend said that morality is completely subjective and varies from person to person. For example, while some people think murder is wrong, other people see no problem with killing another person. My friend said that there is no universal moral code that must be followed

I disagree. I think that morality is objective and cannot differ from person to person. I argued that killing is morally wrong and that the fact that is wrong does not vary. I think that there are some things that are fundamentally immoral for everyone.

So what does the Pit think? Is morality subjective or objective? Oh and since me and my friend are both atheists, the existence of a higher power that imposes a universal moral code is null and void.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
I believe it's subjective.

What do I know? I'm just a woman.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Everything is subjective; objectivity does not exist. Except for in mathematics.

Really? Everything is subjective?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
I think that some things (murder, theft, rape) are objectively wrong, but I think a lot of other things (premarital sex, drug use, homosexuality, abortion) are pretty subjective. I have yet to figure out how to reconcile those two though.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Unfortunately, I don't think there could ever be an objective basis for morality in principle.
Our subjective views of morality are mostly similar because of our biology and societal structures.

... But that's not to say I don't think we should act like there is.
Last edited by AA00P at May 19, 2010,
I personaly think that killing another person is moraly correct in certain condition. It's totaly subjective, just as everything.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Quote by FrustratedRocka
I think that some things (murder, theft, rape) are objectively wrong, but I think a lot of other things (premarital sex, drug use, homosexuality, abortion) are pretty subjective. I have yet to figure out how to reconcile those two though.

If you can say "I think" then it's subjective!
Quote by bender424
I personaly think that killing another person is moraly correct in certain condition. It's totaly subjective, just as everything.

Well in certain conditions, pretty much everything can be morally correct (except for rape). But I'm talking about killing for no reason (sorry i should have said that) such as in the cases of spree and serial killers.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
I've killed a lot of people.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
It's entirely subjective, evolutionary and societal pressures are the reason why people tend to have similar morals on things such as rape and theft, however that doesn't make them objective.
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at May 19, 2010,
Quote by afterthewar
Today at lunch me and my friend were having a discussion (argument?) over whether anarchy could ever work. The conversation then turned into a discussion about morality, because for anarchy to work everyone would have to have a sense of morality and not be greedy and stuff...

But yeah the point is, my friend said that morality is completely subjective and varies from person to person. For example, while some people think murder is wrong, other people see no problem with killing another person. My friend said that there is no universal moral code that must be followed

I disagree. I think that morality is objective and cannot differ from person to person. I argued that killing is morally wrong and that the fact that is wrong does not vary. I think that there are some things that are fundamentally immoral for everyone.

So what does the Pit think? Is morality subjective or objective? Oh and since me and my friend are both atheists, the existence of a higher power that imposes a universal moral code is null and void.

I disagree with your views on it.

Does that prove you wrong already? Damn.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
It doesn't have to be one or the other, you know.
Normal is what people are until you get to know them
One just has to follow the rule that you should treat others the way you would like to be treated.

Morality is objective! But it's true that people have different opinions about it because the world is still kind of screwed. But the situation has still improved over time (think of the middle ages for example). I'm living in the hope that one day we will all think the same way.
Quote by UntilISleep

>_>

<_<

I've gotten 7 people fall for it...

And at that pic...
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
everything in the world is subjective. except for that. and that.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by afterthewar
Well in certain conditions, pretty much everything can be morally correct (except for rape). But I'm talking about killing for no reason (sorry i should have said that) such as in the cases of spree and serial killers.

I think it's right to kill just for fun and rape women!!! You see it's subjective for you! I don't do it, cuz I'll go in jail!
Quote by Colgate Total
I disagree with your views on it.

Does that prove you wrong already? Damn.

Not everything is objective. Just morality.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
Quote by truiteleague
I think it's right to kill just for fun and rape women!!! You see it's subjective for you! I don't do it, cuz I'll go in jail!

See but if you do that, either you realize you are doing something morally wrong, or you are crazy. At least thats what I think.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
Well how do you test if killing someone is morally wrong. Does water boil at 212 degrees? Yes we can scientifically prove that, but theres no way to prove that killing someone if wrong or not. If someone tells you killing is wrong, but they cant offer any hard evidence, why should you believe them. You have to decide for yourself if killing is good or evil, but just because alot of people think killing is evil doesn't make it universally evil.
Quote by OMGWinner
One just has to follow the rule that you should treat others the way you would like to be treated.

1Morality is objective! 2But it's true that people have different opinions about it because the world is still kind of screwed. But the situation has still improved over time (think of the middle ages for example). 3 I'm living in the hope that one day we will all think the same way.

1 Exclamation points do not create truth.
2 Contradictions are fun.
3 Boring fucking world you want.
I'll settle for tolerance.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Subjective, obviously. For example, a murderer may have been taught that killing is alright, and throughout his life, he believed it. Whereas somebody else could be taugh it's bad, and believe it's wrong. It all depends on how the person sees it. Most people today would think murder is wrong, but 2000 years ago, people thought differently. I think because we've started forming governments, and leaders in our society, and they've started laws, morals came about. But this was basically they're decision, and they decided what our morals are. So most people decide to follow them, but if they've been taught differently, they'd believe there was is the right way.
Quote by JayT44
>_>

<_<

I've gotten 7 people fall for it...

And at that pic...

Wth really?

I chose subjective, but what do I know, I'm just a dumb busty blonde.
Quote by UntilISleep
Wth really?

I chose subjective, but what do I know, I'm just a dumb busty blonde.

icwutudidthar

>_>

*clicks on profile*
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Lol I knew someone would not understand what I meant and point out a contradiction, but...

If everyone treated others the way they would want to be treated the situation would improve a lot (even to perfection). That's the core of it.
Quote by afterthewar
See but if you do that, either you realize you are doing something morally wrong, or you are crazy. At least thats what I think.

I think it's right but society won't let me do it!
Quote by OMGWinner
Lol I knew someone would not understand what I meant and point out a contradiction, but...

If everyone treated others the way they would want to be treated the situation would improve a lot (even to perfection). That's the core of it.

But that doesn't have a thing to do with morality being objective or not.
Quote by IommiPage
Subjective, obviously. For example, a murderer may have been taught that killing is alright, and throughout his life, he believed it. Whereas somebody else could be taugh it's bad, and believe it's wrong. It all depends on how the person sees it. Most people today would think murder is wrong, but 2000 years ago, people thought differently. I think because we've started forming governments, and leaders in our society, and they've started laws, morals came about. But this was basically they're decision, and they decided what our morals are. So most people decide to follow them, but if they've been taught differently, they'd believe there was is the right way.

Hmm...That's well put. Its wrong of course, since you disagree with me, but its interesting.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
Quote by OMGWinner

That's the only morally object statement I can think of (The Golden Rule) and even then, it's only a suggestion, not a mandate.

Other than that, morals are totally subjective.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by OMGWinner

That's my wish. Tolerance. Not moral or ideological compliance to a set. Simply tolerance. My moral standard is quite different than yours I'm sure. Doesn't make you wrong. Doesn't make me right. It simply makes us different. When you attempt to force your moral compass upon me you have no tolerance. At that point I have no compunction to tolerate you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Aaah the topic of Objective/Subjective morality, I know it well. As you've already stated that you're leaning towards objective morality, I'll make this quick.

Since the existence of objective morality would only be possible with a god, we can conclude that: THERE CANNOT BE OBJECTIVE MORALITY WITHOUT A HIGHER POWER. But why is that? Do we really need a god for everyone to have a set of ethical laws that everyone has to abide by? I hate repeating myself but, yeah.

If there is objective morality (Ethical laws that apply to everyone, irrespective of who you are or what the situation is) then you would have to have a moral lawgiver (ie. God). If there is no God then there is no one to enforce these laws and everything is subjective.

So in short: No God=No rules. You cannot rationally believe in objective morality and still continue to be an athiest.
Quote by Demonhunter04
Aaah the topic of Objective/Subjective morality, I know it well. As you've already stated that you're leaning towards objective morality, I'll make this quick.

Since the existence of objective morality would only be possible with a god, we can conclude that: THERE CANNOT BE OBJECTIVE MORALITY WITHOUT A HIGHER POWER. But why is that? Do we really need a god for everyone to have a set of ethical laws that everyone has to abide by? I hate repeating myself but, yeah.

If there is objective morality (Ethical laws that apply to everyone, irrespective of who you are or what the situation is) then you would have to have a moral lawgiver (ie. God). If there is no God then there is no one to enforce these laws and everything is subjective.

So in short: No God=No rules. You cannot rationally believe in objective morality and still continue to be an athiest.

thank you. wanted to say something like that but couldn't think of how
Quote by afterthewar
Hmm...That's well put. Its wrong of course, since you disagree with me, but its interesting.

Do you think it's morally wrong to eat dogs?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by guylee
You're both wrong. Technically it's subjective, but there are a lot of things that all people have in common.

That doesn't make it objective, that just makes it the majority.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
well we know that its subjective. most people didn't find slavery and the "possession" of women wrong in old ages, but now thats way different. its changed, meaning it can't be universal
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Demonhunter04

I don't think having a god has anything to do with morality, i just think there are some things that are right and some things that are wrong and i think this is universal but not governed by a belief in a higher power.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
Quote by afterthewar
Not everything is objective. Just morality.

Yes, even morality is subjective.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by IommiPage

Every society/social group has it's form of government, no matter how primitive they may seem to us. Even a decent amount of animals know that it's wrong to kill amongst it's kin. Just because a lot of greedy idiots liked to kill each other hundreds -or thousands- of years ago makes it subjective? We've simply become more sensible then our predecessors morally, mostly due to how advanced communication has gotten I think(not because we're smarter or anything like that-we're pretty dumb). In conclusion, you can choose to kill and be immoral and maybe your OPINION is "Hey killing is totally kewl man" you're still doing something that even every animal knows is not right.
Page 1 of 3