Hi i have got my first acoustic which was the Takamine EG523 and picked it up for about $600 US. Now i as i search for my 2nd one i want a Taylor acoustic-electric model. i have a price range of $2500 at max. Tell me which Taylor model i should purchase !
Taylor 712. A friend of mine has a 7 series grand concert w/o the cutaway and it's the best damn acoustic I've ever heard. Honest to God. I'd trade any of my guitars for one, including my Martin.
I once played a $700 Martin that felt and sounded better than a $1400 Taylor. Not to say that Taylors aren't good, or that they're inferior to Martins. On the contrary, I love them to death. I just thought I would bring that story up to illustrate that sometimes it's more about the individual guitar than the brand - or even the model.

Basically, with that budget, you shouldn't buy anything unless you pick it up in the store and immediately think, "Oh my God I love everything about this guitar and I want it SO bad right now," while playing it.
Well.. that leaves a lot open. Why don't you start with telling us what you want in a guitar other than just electronics. Specific woods? Styles of playing? Body shape? Bueller?
Taylor 710 97'
Taylor 414ce LTD-R Fall 09'
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M
Custom strat

My photography
well my first guitar was a jumbo, so i want to try dreadnought or grand auditiorim. what are each charateristic? and i play alot of fingerstyle. i would say i am intermediate to advance because i make my own arrangements or songs and stuff.
have you tried a taylor gc8? imo it's one of the best fingerstyle guitars i've ever played - and it looks just beautiful.
GA models are the most popular Taylor bodyshape. They are designed basically to be balanced and able to perform in any situation, so you can strum or fingerpick it. Drednoughts are big and traditional. They produce boomy sounds with a lot of overtones. I have a Grand Auditiorium myself and I love the balance, though the volume is not as strong as a dred or a grand symphony. If you fingerpick a lot, I recommend a GA or a GC (grand concert).

Here's the next thing - you want electronics. The thing is, Taylor electronics are about a $500 upgrade to the price tag, and with your budget, you can get a midrange Taylor with electronics or a high-end Taylor without electronics. Let me offer you some suggestions:

Check out their limited edition series. Jim from Guitar Rodeo (check the website) is basically a Taylor foster parent and can give you information on these. A lot of these guitars, like the 414ce LTD, have upgraded tonewoods with electronics but you're paying the price of the original model. You can get an all-glossed rosewood b/s grand auditorium with electronics for $1710. You won't find rosewood on a Taylor unless its a higher-end model or a limited edition.

If electronics aren't mandatory, then I recommend checking out Taylors acoustic series. One of their most popular and famous guitars is their GA8 (which is the equivalent of the 814ce without the electronics or the cutaway). The GC8 is the same tonewoods on a grand concert shape, and like patticake said, is phenomenal. The 7 series uses rosewood with cedar tops and produces a warmer tone. I personally like the 7 series a lot.
Taylor 710 97'
Custom strat

My photography
^not to mention that if down the road he wants to get another Taylor in place of the one he got from Jim then he can give it back to Jim for the full price he paid him and use that balance to carry over to another Taylor!

It's like a buffet, but you have to vomit up the food you already ate before you can get another plate
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light
^not to mention that if down the road he wants to get another Taylor in place of the one he got from Jim then he can give it back to Jim for the full price he paid him and use that balance to carry over to another Taylor!

It's like a buffet, but you have to vomit up the food you already ate before you can get another plate

This.

This is the best reason to buy from Jim. The only stipulation is that you have to have the guitar for a year and it has to be in decent condition - no cracks or abuse.
Taylor 710 97'
Custom strat

My photography