Page 5 of 7
Twin Shadow, yeah?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by genghisgandhi
Give me some cheesy, sugary pop music, similar to Belle and Sebastian or whatever. Something that will make me feel gay (homo) while listening to it.

If you don't listen to The Smiths, then you oughta. Gay as fuck and also the second best band ever.

Hunx and His Punx is cheesy, sugary, gay-as-dick pop music.
Quote by genghisgandhi

I never really liked The Smiths.

Whoa, whoa , whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold yer horses. I appreciate that music is a matter of taste, but how can you NOT like the smiths lol?
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
smiths is boring.

I have what i assume is the first twin shadows album that came out in 2010, i like it. I guess B52s is a given?

Oh oh oh. Is It All Over My Face? by Loose Joints
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNKwr1Ne9G8
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
oh. so it turns out i'm egrogius. I'll relisten to Meat Is Murder, last time I listened to it i was 14, i might do better approaching with a more mature mind or something? My head of 6th form is really into them, as well as my english teacher though, so that makes it weird.
CuSO4

S my d. I've been listening to Strangeways the most throughout the last few weeks, it's so good. I could probably do w/out "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish" and "Death at One's Elbow," but they're not bad.

I always laugh at the grandiosity of "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me." It's so unnecessary, but I love it nonetheless. :3
miles davis described a sense of pretending u know somebody as the 'fleshy pocket.' so one word reminds it of female genital sounds because it's 'fleshy'.

u like enjoying the plays
to anything
yr nice time
how abt me
Quote by neidnarb11890
The only tracks from Meat Is Murder that I don't love are the title track and, depending on the day, "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore".

That's one of my favorite tracks on the album. :s
I will never like the Smiths except for "How Soon is Now?"
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by due 07
That's one of my favorite tracks on the album. :s

Oh yes, especially the line:

Well, it suddenly struck me
I just might die with a smile on my
Face after all

For once Morrissey wasn't being a miserable twat.......
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
The Smiths are brilliant. Just everything about them. Except for Meat is Murder, which is a pretty juvenile song, to be honest.

I think you have to understand the context of The Smiths to truly appreciate them (like Charles Bukowski e.g.). Manchester was such a shithole in the 70's and 80's, especially for the working class, with high unemployment, ulta-conservative politics and no sense of hope. And the Smiths were one of the few bands really commenting on it back then, while most bands were playing trivial and shallow synth pop.
I'm assuming this is the thread I'd go to.

I'm looking for bands similar to People In Planes. From what I understand this is the forum they would belong in(Several threads in here about them) so I'm asking for recs here. If I'm mistaken then I'd appreciate being point towards the proper forum.
I know I'm late to the conversation, but Bigmouth Strikes Again will probably remain my favorite Smiths song for a good while.
Last edited by blake1221 at Jun 12, 2012,
Quote by neidnarb11890
I disagree, I think The Smiths' music is pretty universal & that's why they have such a rabid cult fan base even amongst teenagers today living on a whole other continent.
Disagreed. I don't really think the requirement for an understanding of the context counteracts the potential of having a huge following.

I mean, sure, there's the universal themes of teenage angst, alienation, unrequited love, etc, but it's really just one aspect of it. I've always found Morrissey to often be half-joking a lot of the time, which alot of people don't understand. And the Smiths were quite radical in their political opinions. And they were very distinctively a Northern English working class band, which is something not everybody outside of the UK realises, but something which you will come to realise if you get into the whole 80's Manchester scene and the characterstics of it.

If you compare the world they lived in to yours, you will be able to understand the people who created the music, and not just the music, which will lead you to appreciating them on a more personal level. Just sayin'.

But this is really for the Smiths thread, I suppose.
Quote by Tsar66
I eat meat and thought Meat is Murder was a great song.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the statement, I just think the lyrics are lackluster.
Quote by blake1221
I know I'm late to the conversation, but Bigmouth Strikes Again will probably remain my favorite Smiths song for a good while.

Once I realized that the voice in the backgroundish of the chorus sounded like one of the Chipmunks I haven't been able to enjoy it.

I just straight up dislike Morrissey's voice.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Manchester City has pretty soccer uniforms. :3

Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
I know I'll like The Smiths someday, I just know it.

Yeah, it's pretty nice. I recommend it.
fuck uniforms
no gods no uniforms

I agree w/ all the nice stuff Tom said, except I don't think it really addressed the root of the disagreement, which I figure relates to what it means to "appreciate" something. Arguments are crazy, they're filled w/ words, & words are just metaphors man. Words are not real. Concepts are not real. I am not typing words on a screen right now. I am moving my fingers and through a series of mechanical things and electrical charges (brains are filled w/ electrical charges too, and the rest of the nervous system) the orientation of light is changing on this screen. In fact I am not even doing that, the body that i'm moving is not me, it is another metaphor, I am my mind. Words mean nothing when you are in touch with bare existence. Except words are the way our thoughts are organized, without them how would we think? How do animals think? Are they on that bare existence trip all the time? Is it all just sensory images? Or do they think in grunts and meows? I will think in grunts and meows from now on. Thinking in sensory images is supposedly how the "unconscious" mind works. The "unconscious" is just another abstraction, though. I am an abstraction. I am not real. The rest of you are real because you presumably exist "physically" (is that another abstraction? I don't know). I am an inverse solipsist. The mind is the same thing as the soul, except soul sounds all spiritually and bullshitty. Wish people wouldn't talk about souls.
The mind is so not the same as the soul. I don't think Tom gives the role of context in popular music enough credit but I agree that The Smiths can easily be enjoyed without knowing their background.
context...? what context.
Psh. My life is a context.
pushing on a wall, hoping cats will fall out.

Context...? What context. Psh.
My life is a context—pushing
on a wall, hoping
cats will fall out.
Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ at Jun 14, 2012,
We obviously disagree. I mean, I'm sure you can appreciate it. Just not on the same level as someone who grew up in the same city and lived during the Smiths' existence, who walked the same streets during the same time period, etc etc. Reading about and understanding the origin of the music is a way of bringing that nearer, but it will never be as significant as if it would have been to be there at that time and place - just as listening to it without knowing nothing about its context won't. For example, you could look at Guernica and find it appealing without knowing anything about it, but if you find out that it depicts the bombing of civilians, its significance increases. And probably even more so if you were a republican soldier during the Spanish Civil War.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that no piece of art ever transcends its time and place, at least not fully. Which is why you have to understand the (socio-economic, cultural, polititcal etc) context to fully appreciate them and the multiple aspects that the piece of art offers. Personally, I don't believe art (and the amount of appreciation for it) really can be separated from (the amount of knowledge of) its context, which is where we seem to disagree.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
then pray tell what the eff is the soul eh smart guy

The thing that goes to heaven

I think Red Avatar makes some good points but forgets that context is only significant to the extent in which it inflluences the music of the band and is in and of itself only vital to 'understanding' the music in the scholarly sense.
Due to the very nature of song, several of the themes that may have arisen from The Smiths existing in a particular millieu can evoke more universal feelings and emotions, applicable to a wide range of experiences both personal and popular.

The Smiths are a bad example anyway. Tom's Sex Pistol's one was better because they'd be shit if it wasn't for the backstory
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
fuck uniforms
no gods no uniforms

I agree w/ all the nice stuff Tom said, except I don't think it really addressed the root of the disagreement, which I figure relates to what it means to "appreciate" something. Arguments are crazy, they're filled w/ words, & words are just metaphors man. Words are not real. Concepts are not real. I am not typing words on a screen right now. I am moving my fingers and through a series of mechanical things and electrical charges (brains are filled w/ electrical charges too, and the rest of the nervous system) the orientation of light is changing on this screen. In fact I am not even doing that, the body that i'm moving is not me, it is another metaphor, I am my mind. Words mean nothing when you are in touch with bare existence. Except words are the way our thoughts are organized, without them how would we think? How do animals think? Are they on that bare existence trip all the time? Is it all just sensory images? Or do they think in grunts and meows? I will think in grunts and meows from now on. Thinking in sensory images is supposedly how the "unconscious" mind works. The "unconscious" is just another abstraction, though. I am an abstraction. I am not real. The rest of you are real because you presumably exist "physically" (is that another abstraction? I don't know). I am an inverse solipsist. The mind is the same thing as the soul, except soul sounds all spiritually and bullshitty. Wish people wouldn't talk about souls.

Quote by neidnarb11890
I agree with all this, but I don't think The Smiths were ever as historically & politically direct as Guernica. I'll concede that The Smiths are certainly a product of their time & place & all those things you said above. But I don't think one need necessarily know a whole lot about that time & place to understand songs like "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now". Those feels are pretty universal, at least amongst lonely losers like myself & Moz.

Anyway, I am done w/ this. Arguing is bad for the soul.

I just think the Smiths are a lot more historically and politically direct than people normally give them credit for. Especially the Meat Is Murder album. And Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now is really one of their more generic songs, hence its widespread popularity.

But yeah, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
can we put Like Flies On Sherbert by Alex Chilton on the list? i like it.
CuSO4

If you can like really enjoy music without being relatively aware of the historical, cultural, sociopolitical, hexagonal, epidermal etc etc etc context in which it was created, I am gelatin. Like I know obviously people do it all the time, but I always feel like I don't really connect with () the music unless I learn a pretty decent amount of stuff about the band/album.
yeah "i am gelatin" for Can, cuz I hardly knew anything about them until after I was absorbed by their jams, & I still hardly gaf and prefer to think of them as without a time or place, just a gadoonmbly sound that has always been and always will be.

But I figure everybody always has some impression of the surroundings of an 'artwork', and people can perceive a lot about something just from an impression, even if they don't know facts and stuff. So I dunno, I guess specific knowledge of a band can facilitate a greater appreciation on an intellectual level, but like does that really matter, really? Like isn't the aesthetic & emotional part the reason peeps are drawn to music in the first place? & like isn't that where inspiration comes from? ~'-'~
oh man Can is so good. Monster Movie is so good & the other albums are so good. so good. MM should be on the list in this thread's first post and so should Ege Bamyasi and Future Days. i miss walking around outside at school rly late listening to Can. maybe one day i will live in the city again and i will go to the park late at night and listen to Can. it is a good thing i am a man and i can go out at night and don't have to worry about being raped.
Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ at Jun 15, 2012,
Sometimes I burn one of my friends compact discs (he listens to cd's) and he'll get way into a certain album but not want to see the album artwork or even pics of the band.
Sun Ra? I'm not sure if he counts as indie/alt. He was totally awesome though.

Quote by due 07
If you can like really enjoy music without being relatively aware of the historical, cultural, sociopolitical, hexagonal, epidermal etc etc etc context in which it was created, I am gelatin. Like I know obviously people do it all the time, but I always feel like I don't really connect with () the music unless I learn a pretty decent amount of stuff about the band/album.

I'm the same way. Amateur musicologist here!

MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS POST: What the fudge??? Why isn't You're A Woman, I'm a Machine by Death From Above 1979 (2004) on the list? (besides the fact that I haven't recommended it yet) If you need help recognizing it, it's my avatar, and it sounds like this.

EDIT: Ooooh, also, Hissing Fauna Are You the Destroyer? (2007) by Of Montreal is a classic. Also consider Skeletal Lamping (2008) by the same band. Its my favorite, but people tend to think of Hissing Fauna as more classic.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Jun 15, 2012,
Quote by snipelfritz
Sun Ra? I'm not sure if he counts as indie/alt. He was totally awesome though.

I'm the same way. Amateur musicologist here!

MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS POST: What the fudge??? Why isn't You're A Woman, I'm a Machine by Death From Above 1979 (2004) on the list? (besides the fact that I haven't recommended it yet) If you need help recognizing it, it's my avatar, and it sounds like this.

EDIT: Ooooh, also, Hissing Fauna Are You the Destroyer? (2007) by Of Montreal is a classic. Also consider Skeletal Lamping (2008) by the same band. Its my favorite, but people tend to think of Hissing Fauna as more classic.

Yeah DFA should be on there.