I had the TV on, and just heard the expression "It's literally cold as ice!".

This got me thinking...

Water turns into ice at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C). Can ice be colder than 32 degrees? Or is it all just one stable frozen temperature? IF it is stable, can anything be colder than ice?

If this is a stupid question I'm sorry, I'm not a big science buff. Now that I've typed this thread, it's sounding more stupid to me.

Please don't flame too much, you might melt the ice.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at May 19, 2010,
well, yeah there are a lot of things colder than ice. But I honestly don't know if it's one stable temperature or not. I'm pretty sure it can get progressively colder until it sublimates maybe. I don't know I failed at science.
Well, water can be liquid at any number of different temperatures between 0 and 100 degrees Celsius. So I'd imagine it could be solid for a range of different degrees- 0 being the warmest ice possible.

I didn't actually take any science in high school though, so I could be wrong.
Yes. Ideally, you can get water down almost to absolute zero if one was to chill it enough. 32F is just where water goes from the liquid state to the solid state.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
It can get colder than 32 F and many things are colder than ice.
Quote by mcamp1230
Uhh dry ice is much colder

Brings up if we're basing 'cold as ice' on Carbon-dioxide based ice, or Water based ice..

Hmm, interesting.

But it can get colder than its freezing temp.
Water turns into ice at 0 degrees Celsius.

If it goes below 0 degrees Celsius, it remains ice.

Therefore, ice can be colder than 0 degrees Celsius.
Okay also, numbers are an idea. They can go as far as our minds can take them. Can temperatures go just as far as numbers do? In this case, infinite.

Both increasing and decreasing.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
I think this question has been pretty well answered.

Glad I could help single-handedly.

Yeah, it was all me...

Please, don't kill me.
Quote by JayT44
Okay also, numbers are an idea. They can go as far as our minds can take them. Can temperatures go just as far as numbers do? In this case, infinite.

No. The coldest theoretical temperature is absolute zero, which is 0 degrees Kelvin, or -273.15 degrees Celsius. It's the point at which there is no movement of particles in an object.

Infinite positive temperature could be possible I guess. I dunno
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Last edited by BeastlyBassist at May 19, 2010,
Quote by JayT44

Well, people say that absolute zero (-273 degrees C) is the lowest temperature possible.
Quote by JayT44
Water turns into ice at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C). Can ice be colder than 32 degrees? Or is it all just one stable frozen temperature?
That's the transition temperature at normal atmospheric pressure, between solid and liquid. Ice can be heaps colder than that.

Same thing about the transition from liquid to vapor. 212F / 100C. Above that temperature, at normal atmospheric pressure, water is a gas, not a liquid. But the temperature of water in gaseous form can be much higher than that.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by BeastlyBassist
No. The coldest theoretical temperature is absolute zero, which is 0 degrees Kelvin, or -273.15 degrees Celsius. It's the point at which there is no movement of particles in an object.

Yeah, that's right. I learned that before actually, it just never stuck.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Quote by JayT44

There is a point at which there is no molecular movement, known as absolute zero. It's -273 C or 0 K. That's as low as temperatures go.
There are all sorts of exceptions especially on different planets and moons not just laboratory experiments. Really just depends on the element and pressure. i.e. hydrogen can be ice or the freezing point is different at different elevations.