basically, i've always had trouble with scales but i've noticed something lately. i used gosk.com today for the first time and i think i finally understand them. now can anyone tell me if i'm correct, all you have to do to learn a scale is A: pick the scale you want to learn (pentatonic for me) B: learn the positions (5 in this case for me) and C: learn the notes that are in the specific scale and the interval steps? i mean, i usually struggled with this and used to map them out on the enxt but when i saw these pics it hit me, all the shapes apply to every scale, just changing the tonic, correct? have i just found out or am i still missing something?

and another little question, when making chords on the fretboard, can i does it matter what order the notes come in as long as the root note is the chord i'm trying to make?

edit: when i said positions i meant these images: http://gosk.com/scales/minor-pentatonic-scale-for-guitar.php
so basically learning a scale can be as easy as those few steps i said?
Bingo! The scales are moveable. Root 6 scales apply to any note on the 6th string. Root 5 scales apply to any note on the 5th string. Welcome to the world of scales.

It doesn't matter which order the notes come for a chord. In fact, this variation is called "voicing." Doesn't matter if C is played as C E G, C G E, C E G E G, or C E G C E - they're all C major chords - just different voicings. If the root note is something other than C, then we get into some other topics, such as slash chords, like C/E, or C/G. Still a C chord, just with an E or G in the root or bass.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at May 19, 2010,
It only works b/w the minor and major scales really. I'm sure there are other ways to group numerous scales if your looking for the right one. My teacher teaches me the Minor and Major all on one piece. (0-12 fret all the way.) Once you go into more Unique and Foreign scales such as the Spanish Gypsy and Byzantine scales. Always look for similarities. Alot of scales I've found are sometimes just a few notes different. Wheter it be a dominant 7th or a flattened 3rd. If you can group scales together then be my guest. It usually won't be as cut-and-dry endless your given the similarities.
What you've said is correct, but once you've got the fingerings down, the interval gaps and how they sound, you should really start moving onto finding out how to use them (which you have by constructing chords). Then from this you can find out what notes sound good over certain chords and what makes each scale unique and sound like it does. Sorry to seem a bit of a killjoy, but you've definetely seemed to have got it down. Nice work!
STEP ONE: Learn the notes on the fretboard
STEP TWO: Learn the scale of your choosing, not just the shape but the notes.
STEP THREE: Play those notes in the same progression in other places on the fretboard. Do so with an understanding of the intervals between each note rather than the shape they happen to be in on your fretboard
STEP FOUR: Profit!