I bought a Digitech Bad Monkey brand new recently, but I've never been able to figure out if it is broken or useless by nature. I'm putting it in the effects loop of my 6505+ 112, with the recommended level 10 - gain 0 settings.

All it seems to do is boost the volume 2 fold, and it robs the amp of its gain. It goes from awesome gain and saturation to way too loud hard rock sound as soon as I engage the Monkey.

It must be broken right?
Last edited by sensei888 at May 20, 2010,
Quote by sensei888
I bought a Digitech Bad Monkey brand new recently, but I've never been able to figure out if it is broken or useless by nature. I'm putting it in the effects loop of my 6505+ 112, with the recommended level 10 - gain 0 settings.

All it seems to do is boost the volume 2 fold, and it robs the amp of its gain. It goes from awesome gain and saturation to way too loud hard rock sound as soon as I engage the Monkey.

It must be broken right?

Why did you put it in the effects loop?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I figured cause its an effects pedal, I stick it in the effects loop. Is that not correct?
Quote by sensei888
I figured cause its an effects pedal, I stick it in the effects loop. Is that not correct?

Nope. The effects loop is for modulation effects, or anything you want before the preamp. You don't usually place an OD/Dirt pedal in the loop. <.<
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Yeah it wouldn't give you tighter distortion at all if it wasn't infront of the amp.
And you'll probably want to turn down the amps gain a tiny bit when the Bad Monkey's engaged.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by BurstBucker Pro
+1 Run Distortion and Overdrive pedals before the amp, not in the FX loop.

So Guitar > pedal > input is what is referred to as "before the amp"? Ah what a revelation lol
Last edited by sensei888 at May 20, 2010,
Plug your guitar directly into the Monkey, and the Monkey into the input on the front of the amp.

Your FX loop is on the back of the amp: (7 and 8)
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at May 20, 2010,
Yea thanks, people were telling me to put it 'before the amp', I thought that meant before the pre-amp.
Quote by sensei888

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
"Before the preamp" means in front of the amp. The effects loop is AFTER the preamp. Putting an overdrive in the effects loops presents two problems:
1. It won't drive the preamp harder which is the whole point
2. It will be sending line level to the overdrive pedal which is substantially higher than the guitar signal that it was designed to take.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification