Poll: Please read the post before voting !!!
Poll Options
View poll results: Please read the post before voting !!!
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 / MA 50
13 32%
Laney TT 50
7 17%
Carvin V3
16 39%
Peavey Ultra Plus
14 34%
Mesa Boogie Single Recto
21 51%
Traynor YCS 100
4 10%
Egnater Renegade 65
12 29%
any other ( please suggest )
5 12%
Voters: 41.
Page 1 of 2
So , after a lot of study of amps I have selected a few to choose from and would like some suggestions and reviews from person who have really played these amps (no 5-min jams or tryouts ) , as I want to know the long term deal of these magnificent beasts !

Here are the necessary details and specifications :

EDIT : Half stacks wanted . I dont loathe combos and carrying them feels troublesome !

Budget : Around $1000 ( IF possible including a V30 loaded cab as well , no issues going used )

Musical styles : mostly Metal ( prog , death , black , neoclassical ) and Rock , Virtuoso and hell lot of Blues and bits of funk , jazz , psychedelic ... ( I know that's a wide range , but a good amp can be boosted and brought into metal territory like the Blackstar HT-5 )

Cleans must be good and can manage with a decent Crunch , but really need that cutting lead sound with defination .

Also can do without a good Mid-gain tone , as I dont dial that kind of sound but should have an excellent low-gain sound and that little breakup bluesy tone like Eric Johnson' or Joe Sat's !

All the channels must have separate Gain , Volume , Reverb knobs atleast ...wont mind shared EQ tone stack !

Must provide the option of switching power tubes EASILY , also easily biasable too ! FX loops are overrated !

EDIT : Would really prefer an amp that has a footswitch which gives you the ability to select any channel and reverb too . ( not like the bugera 6262 footswitch )
ALSO ....should I wait for the Bugera TRIREC ???
~~~~~ Important ~~~~~~

If suggesting any other amp please keep in mind these few things :

* No Hi and Low input jacks .... just not my thing really !

* No noisy amps please , a bit is acceptable ( I dont really prefer to use a noise gate(tone suckers) or atleast at really low settings ) .

* The amps should have a good reputation of being road worthy , and must be able to literally eat dust and maybe occasional knocks and whacks . ( No I dont hate my gear but I sometimes get really unpredictable after booze in a fun loving way....lol )

I guess thats it ! Lets see the flood of posts

PS : Thanks in advance fellow UGers ... apologies for any errors !
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
GB&A MS-10 (a teeny tiny solid-state amp)

Coping up with some serious GAS !!!
Last edited by sigma005 at May 20, 2010,
An Engl screamer would meet your expectations.
They're built like tanks, got a decent reverb, loaded with a V30 and sound damn good cranked up I have to say.
If you boost them, I'm quite sure you could get it into the more heavier metals territory.
Mine is a combo, but it's for sale in a head too.
Quote by mitchibanez
An Engl screamer would meet your expectations.
They're built like tanks, got a decent reverb, loaded with a V30 and sound damn good cranked up I have to say.
If you boost them, I'm quite sure you could get it into the more heavier metals territory.
Mine is a combo, but it's for sale in a head too.

Hows the clean channel of that beast ? Does it takes pedals nicely ? And can you provide me with some insight on the breakup of clean channel ?
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Get a mesa boogie Mark IV. Definitely road worthy and sound great with V30s. It will probably cost a little bit more than $1000 bucks for a used one but I think it is worth it to get THE BEST lead guitar sound.
Hey check out my band. Prog Metal/Death/Jazz
www.myspace.com/siegeofaugusta

1993 Jackson Rhoads Standard w/ EMG's for sale, PM if interested
Quote by zezimathehero
^Shut the hell up and talk about BTBAM
Well to say, the clean channel stays clean rather long. If I have my mastervolume up 75% and the channel volume about 40% it starts breaking up a little if you strum hard (I think I use this much volume at rehearsal). I haven't run any pedals on it yet but I've been told it's really good, you could check out some youtube videos or just try it yourself in a store.
Anyhow, I can't explain you how the clean sounds as it has it's own characteristics. But if you use your guitars volume it can get really glassy without sounding that thin. Warm cleans aren't a problem either.
I've owned the Laney TT50-112 combo for more than 6 months now. Here's what I can say about it:

It's very versatile. Great cleans and great medium gain. It can do 80s metal on its own. If you're talking modern metal, you'll want a boost just to add some gain to it.

It seems kind of roadworthy. I bought mine second hand and its been around for 20+ years. The front grill was torn in a few places but I mean..it's a front grill! Of course it'll get torn. The tolex and actual body is in good shape. The main problem for me seems to be the pots; the pots on mine are scratchy, probably because of the age.

Stupidly tweak-able. I think it's the Laney amp with the most knobs. Separate EQs for each channel. 3 channels. Boost function for the 3rd, modern switch for channels 2 and 3, and bright switches for all 3. There's also a handy 'tight' switch. FX level knob is also there to control the wet/dry mix of the pedals in your FX loop.

If you're planning to go with the TT50, I suggest you buy the head and not the combo. The Celestion Classic Lead 80 in this combo is doesn't suit such a bright amp like this Laney.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by urrynater86
Get a mesa boogie Mark IV. Definitely road worthy and sound great with V30s. It will probably cost a little bit more than $1000 bucks for a used one but I think it is worth it to get THE BEST lead guitar sound.

+1

But its been a few hard luck days . I have been sweeping ebay and other sites but they are going around 1500 bucks and finding a head is like a needle in a haystack . Who in his sane mind would sell that if he knows his stuff !
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by mitchibanez
Well to say, the clean channel stays clean rather long. If I have my mastervolume up 75% and the channel volume about 40% it starts breaking up a little if you strum hard (I think I use this much volume at rehearsal). I haven't run any pedals on it yet but I've been told it's really good, you could check out some youtube videos or just try it yourself in a store.
Anyhow, I can't explain you how the clean sounds as it has it's own characteristics. But if you use your guitars volume it can get really glassy without sounding that thin. Warm cleans aren't a problem either.

Sounds yummy ! But ENGL's do seem to lack in cutting through the mix , except the Savage I guess .
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by HellBoy9393
I've owned the Laney TT50-112 combo for more than 6 months now. Here's what I can say about it:

It's very versatile. Great cleans and great medium gain. It can do 80s metal on its own. If you're talking modern metal, you'll want a boost just to add some gain to it.

It seems kind of roadworthy. I bought mine second hand and its been around for 20+ years. The front grill was torn in a few places but I mean..it's a front grill! Of course it'll get torn. The tolex and actual body is in good shape. The main problem for me seems to be the pots; the pots on mine are scratchy, probably because of the age.

Stupidly tweak-able. I think it's the Laney amp with the most knobs. Separate EQs for each channel. 3 channels. Boost function for the 3rd, modern switch for channels 2 and 3, and bright switches for all 3. There's also a handy 'tight' switch. FX level knob is also there to control the wet/dry mix of the pedals in your FX loop.

If you're planning to go with the TT50, I suggest you buy the head and not the combo. The Celestion Classic Lead 80 in this combo is doesn't suit such a bright amp like this Laney.

I really really prefer a half stack over a combo . I have heard things about Laney that they sometimes sound thin and dont pair well with single coils and bright guitars . Is this true ??
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by sigma005
I really really prefer a half stack over a combo . I have heard things about Laney that they sometimes sound thin and dont pair well with single coils and bright guitars . Is this true ??

I wouldn't say they sound thin. I have never played a single-coil guitar through my amp so I can't say anything about them not 'pairing well' with single coils. I'd imagine it's true though since bright guitar --> bright amp = over 9000 bright.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Peavey JSX
Good cleans, Distortion that can easily enter metal territory, easily bias-able with tube swapping, built in noise gate.

I don't know of any amp that has separate reverb controls for each channel, unless the Mark series does (that's the only one that I believe does - but its in the back of the amp)
Quote by Sputnik1
Peavey JSX
Good cleans, Distortion that can easily enter metal territory, easily bias-able with tube swapping, built in noise gate.

I don't know of any amp that has separate reverb controls for each channel, unless the Mark series does (that's the only one that I believe does - but its in the back of the amp)

Well a master reverb knob would do fine , but having individual knobs provides some options that I would prefer to have .

the Traynor YCS 100 has individual Gain , Volume , Reverb , and EQ knobs ! Also has FX knob ! hey I never noticed that !!!
http://www.traynoramps.com/products_photos.asp?name=ycs100h2.png
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Man that is a terrible amount of knobs, it just makes it look bad. I just think amps need to remain simple, thats why Im not a fan of the Mark V
Quote by Sputnik1
Man that is a terrible amount of knobs, it just makes it look bad. I just think amps need to remain simple, thats why Im not a fan of the Mark V

Well thats the part of cookie you like .

The Mark V is the amp I would LOVE to own , but its price is something I'm not ready for yet . duh Mesas have always been heavy on the pocket same goes for ENGL
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

My vote(s) went to the Peavey Ultra (which I currently own), the Single Recto (which I recently sold) and the Egnater Renegade (which I've been trying to find used for a good price for a while).

The Ultra is really an awesome amp for the price you can get them for. The cleans are great, the crunch channel is awesome and the lead channel is brutal as hell.

The Rectos have much better cleans than people give them credit for, I had a Series I, and the cleans on that thing were great IMO. The drive is really lush, very cutting on the Modern setting and nice and smooth on the Vintage setting. Tightens up nicely with an overdrive, though don't expect it to get as tight as the Ultra.

The Renegade is just an all around awesome amp. Great cleans, great mid-gain and it gets surprisingly heavy. Not all out brutal like the Peavey or Recto... but can definitely get some nice high gain tones!

As for the Mark IV suggestions, they're really an acquired taste. For me, the only thing good about them is the lead channel. The clean channel is too warm and sterile IMO and R2 is just plain worthless without a bunch of pedals
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
My vote(s) went to the Peavey Ultra (which I currently own), the Single Recto (which I recently sold) and the Egnater Renegade (which I've been trying to find used for a good price for a while).

The Ultra is really an awesome amp for the price you can get them for. The cleans are great, the crunch channel is awesome and the lead channel is brutal as hell.

The Rectos have much better cleans than people give them credit for, I had a Series I, and the cleans on that thing were great IMO. The drive is really lush, very cutting on the Modern setting and nice and smooth on the Vintage setting. Tightens up nicely with an overdrive, though don't expect it to get as tight as the Ultra.

The Renegade is just an all around awesome amp. Great cleans, great mid-gain and it gets surprisingly heavy. Not all out brutal like the Peavey or Recto... but can definitely get some nice high gain tones!

As for the Mark IV suggestions, they're really an acquired taste. For me, the only thing good about them is the lead channel. The clean channel is too warm and sterile IMO and R2 is just plain worthless without a bunch of pedals

Dude , I never knew that deal on the Mark IV , thanks for the info !
Hows the bottom end on the Ultra Plus ? Power tubes , are they easily switchable to EL34s ?
Also can you provide me a shot of the front panel of the Ultra Plus ?

EDIT : No need of pics it has 2 inputs hi and lo jus found out ....aww
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by sigma005
Hows the bottom end on the Ultra Plus ? Power tubes , are they easily switchable to EL34s ?

What's the big deal with high and low inputs? Just plug your guitar into the high input and forget about the low one...

And I have the Ultra 120, same thing as the Ultra Plus... but less visually appealing, not that I could complain though, I got it super cheap

Also, I doubt they're easily changed to EL-34s. I'm sure that'd require some screen grid resistor changes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
out of those the ultra. That is one underratted amp.

if you look for mark iv's closely you can score them for about 1200 usually ; )
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
out of those the ultra. That is one underratted amp.

if you look for mark iv's closely you can score them for about 1200 usually ; )

I'll give you $900.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
What's the big deal with high and low inputs? Just plug your guitar into the high input and forget about the low one...

And I have the Ultra 120, same thing as the Ultra Plus... but less visually appealing, not that I could complain though, I got it super cheap

Also, I doubt they're easily changed to EL-34s. I'm sure that'd require some screen grid resistor changes.

I just dont want an amp with 2 inputs it confuses me , not my cup of tea buddy .
And I want something hassle free when changing tubes as I'm usually quite busy with other things and work , stuff to do !
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by sigma005
I just dont want an amp with 2 inputs it confuses me , not my cup of tea buddy .
And I want something hassle free when changing tubes as I'm usually quite busy with other things and work , stuff to do !

No offence but that's a silly reason not to get an amp. Would you choose not to buy a car because it has more than one pedal?
Quote by AxSilentxLine
No offence but that's a silly reason not to get an amp. Would you choose not to buy a car because it has more than one pedal?

Dude , every person has different preferences , tastes , views and its called Diversity !

Whatever works for you wont work for me and vice versa .
Say I use a XXXL condom ..... well works for me , But Not For You Son ! ( No Offence By The Way )

Now step aside please ....
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Yes, sound preference, brand preference, but number of inputs? That's not preference that's close mindedness and IMO lunacy to discount a Mesa Mark because it has more than one input what is so confusing about 2 inputs?

Yes it's your choice, but believe me when I say that if you choose something based on number of inputs it's the wrong choice.

*end rant*
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Yes, sound preference, brand preference, but number of inputs? That's not preference that's close mindedness and IMO lunacy to discount a Mesa Mark because it has more than one input what is so confusing about 2 inputs?

Yes it's your choice, but believe me when I say that if you choose something based on number of inputs it's the wrong choice.

*end rant*

Dude I just dont want 2 inputs !!!!! That how I like it . I just cant decide which input to use when there are hi and lo , you cant have the best of both worlds , so I'm happy with a single input .
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

I dont bite more than I can Chew , but I bite HARD !!!
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

You must have OCD lol. Hi and lo inputs give extra versatility, if anything.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Huh? You haven't offended me just left me profoundly confused sorry but disqualifying an amp because it has 2 inputs is the most n00b thing i've seen posted here this year...

I don't want to argue or offend you but it just makes no sense at all to me

for the record I voted for the Carvin
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at May 20, 2010,
Quote by HellBoy9393
You must have OCD lol. Hi and lo inputs give extra versatility, if anything.

Lol ....maybe ! I dont give a $]-[!T !
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by AxSilentxLine
Huh? You haven't offended me just left me profoundly confused sorry but disqualifying an amp because it has 2 inputs is the most n00b thing i've seen posted here this year...

I don't want to argue or offend you but it just makes no sense at all to me

for the record I voted for the Carvin

Im not disqualifying any amp just because it has 2 inputs !

I DONT WANT THAT OPTION ON MY AMP THATS HOW I LIKE IT ! I want an amp with a single input for some reasons !
Are you done now I want this thread to be a little more useful ?

I think the colour PINK is gay , but some other people think its a nice shade ! Understood ! Jeez !!!
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Vintage amps like Marshall Plexi , Hiwatt have 2 even 4 inputs ....okay ...they are kickass amps ....but I dont like that feature !!!

PS : Going offline for half an hour for a smoke up session of pure THC ! Be Right Back !!!
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by sigma005

Changing valves isnt like a ritualistic thing, youd only have to do it every few years.

I know the lo input is exactly the same as the hi in my laney just with a resistor in series to cut down the signal strength, attenuate it by a few decibels and roll off some treble. Ive not unplugged from the lo input in years, just plug into what sounds best and leave it there.

If you went into a guitar store tried out some superamazing amp that was superawesome and then you were like "naw man, its got 2 inputs, ill buy a line 6 spider instead" then its your loss like. Most of us are speaking from personal experiance, take it or leave it i guess.

Personally i voted for the TT, peavey ultra and carvin.

And i use XXXXXL condoms. I know my shit.

Edit: You're a dick, people here are taking the time to give a random stranger advice, you should respect that and be more gratefull.
Last edited by beckyjc at May 20, 2010,
Quote by sigma005
Im not disqualifying any amp just because it has 2 inputs !

I DONT WANT THAT OPTION ON MY AMP THATS HOW I LIKE IT ! I want an amp with a single input for some reasons !
Are you done now I want this thread to be a little more useful ?

I think the colour PINK is gay , but some other people think its a nice shade ! Understood ! Jeez !!!

You'll need to delete the Peavey Ultra from your list then.

I heard they suck anyway, they're got like 2 inputs or something...
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at May 20, 2010,
Quote by AxSilentxLine
You'll need to delete the Peavey Ultra from your list then.

I heard they suck anyway, they're got like 2 inputs or something...

well I did not knew that they have 2 inputs when I made the poll ! My bad !
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by beckyjc
Changing valves isnt like a ritualistic thing, youd only have to do it every few years.

I know the lo input is exactly the same as the hi in my laney just with a resistor in series to cut down the signal strength, attenuate it by a few decibels and roll off some treble. Ive not unplugged from the lo input in years, just plug into what sounds best and leave it there.

If you went into a guitar store tried out some superamazing amp that was superawesome and then you were like "naw man, its got 2 inputs, ill buy a line 6 spider instead" then its your loss like. Most of us are speaking from personal experiance, take it or leave it i guess.

Edit: You're a dick, people here are taking the time to give a random stranger advice, you should respect that and be more gratefull.

Changing valves here means switching from 6L6s to EL34s ! Atleast read the complete things written in the posts !
And I'm grateful that people are giving me advice and information ...oo yeah
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by beckyjc

Atleast please read properly before posting your thoughts ....your not doing any improvement here by stretching a discussion on the number of inputs !

And FYI :
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by sigma005

ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Now can we carry on with the important subject ??? Please ?

Im tired after all ....we should have the feature of passing a Joint here on UG !
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Carvin no contest
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quit quadriple posting. I don't want to aggravate this any more but there's nothing more to discuss. I would go for the Carvin but they're all nice amps just try them out and let your ears decide
Quote by beckyjc

And FYI again ....I would have tried something else and stay happy , I wont go for a shitty Line 6 thats for Noobs, better use Amplitube or Peavey Revalver !
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
Carvin no contest

You sir are most welcome !!!

Quote by AxSilentxLine
Quit quadriple posting. I don't want to aggravate this any more but there's nothing more to discuss. I would go for the Carvin but they're all nice amps just try them out and let your ears decide

Bro I'm just clearing up the doubt and presenting my defence !
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Page 1 of 2