Hi guys.

Basically, is it doable to for a newbie guitar player to learn an acoustic song in 2 weeks?

Thanks for any help!

X
If you're completely new it will be a challenge - but you can get quite close if you put in the hours to practice. The only way you can find out is by trying! Even if you get mostly there that's a big achievement

Your biggest hurdle will probably not be the actual learning of the song and how to play the chords in it but building up the finger strength and toughness. After you've been playing a while the tips of your fingers get hardened and it doesn't hurt to press down hard any more. If you play too much at first it can become a bit tender till you get used to it.

What song are you trying to learn?
One of the first songs i learnt was "hurt" - Johnny Cash. Not very tricky and introduces you nicely to chords

Good Luck!
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
If you're completely new it will be a challenge - but you can get quite close if you put in the hours to practice. The only way you can find out is by trying! Even if you get mostly there that's a big achievement

Your biggest hurdle will probably not be the actual learning of the song and how to play the chords in it but building up the finger strength and toughness. After you've been playing a while the tips of your fingers get hardened and it doesn't hurt to press down hard any more. If you play too much at first it can become a bit tender till you get used to it.

What song are you trying to learn?
One of the first songs i learnt was "hurt" - Johnny Cash. Not very tricky and introduces you nicely to chords

Good Luck!

Hurt - NINE INCH NAILS.
Cash covered it. I hope you know that. It just irks me when people say Cash wrote Hurt. He did not. I do like his voice and "version" of it, if you will, though.
Thanks both for the replies.

Well I had lessons at school and home (3-4 years ago).
If I don't get something straight away, I tend to give up. It was also around exam time so I just stopped altogether.

I learned the usual stuff, (I say usual, don't know if the Titanic theme and Killing Me Softly is usual?!) but they were mostly tabs.
The home teacher I had got me onto Red Hot Chilli Peppers and The Kooks, so I do have some idea and a little experience.

There's an open mic night in a couple of weeks and I was wanting to sing and play. Something simple like Ellie Goulding - Guns and horses or a Courteeners song. What are these like in terms of difficulty? If you know!

Thanks
X
maybe horse with no name by america. it's an easy song. Just check some clips on youtube how to play it.
Cheers - i'll look into that.

My mum's husband is also very good at guitar and plays a little bit daily so I also have help if needed!

X
just practice at it bud, I can't emphasize on the practice.

Within 2 days of no sleep and pure practicing I managed to get the main riff for Iron Man and get blisters that made me not play for a good 4 days
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011