Poll: Since I already have a treble booster(look at sig) Does this matter to me?
Poll Options
View poll results: Since I already have a treble booster(look at sig) Does this matter to me?
Yes
4 36%
Sort of
5 45%
Not really
0 0%
no
2 18%
Voters: 11.
Can you achieve the same effects of a treble booster by put up the high frequencies on a graphic equaliser?
Im not really sure but one would think that a treble booster would work the same as boostin the treble on an eq. Im just not sure if thats all a treble booster actually does.
Prestige Ibanez Rg1527rb
Epiphone Les Paul w dimarzio evo.
ltd H -50
Digitech DF-7
dod EQ
Randall WarHead
Crate td50c
Yes you can but the EQ can do more as well. even if used only as a treble boost it will give you more control over what is exactly boosted.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yes you can but the EQ can do more as well. even if used only as a treble boost it will give you more control over what is exactly boosted.

+1 ... This !
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
GB&A MS-10 (a teeny tiny solid-state amp)

Coping up with some serious GAS !!!
Quote by bogg808
If you already have a treble booster, why do you want an EQ to imitate a treble booster?

that is conjecture, it is best not to assume things.

considering functionality this is a correct assessment but i would like to add to this. the basic design of a GEQ differs quite a bit from a treble boost. first off, some graphic EQ don't even provide a boost(mind you i'd have reference something old like my big jam EQ for an example), to compare a passive GEQ to treble boost would be quite a difference then, as most people run a boost to drive the first gain stage of an amplifier.

but even if the GEQ did provide boost there is still a contrast in performance between a treble boost, beyond what cathbard has stated. a treble boost would contain many fewer components than a GEQ, also a treble would be more suited to the application of 'boostorting' you signal. in other words a GEQ would attempt to keep the signal a bit cleaner, while a boost would attempt to give a desired effect, which would give a much different pedal.

EXAMPLES:
i would use a GEQ for more control of my signal, or to provide a volume increase with desired EQ for w/e purpose is desired. a GEQ could also serve utility functions i would consider for a treble, like eliminating feedback by cutting an appropriate frequency or live acoustic performances out of a PA for example. i may also use a GEQ as a permanent 'filter' for a desired EQ effect.

a treble boost i would use more to add character to the signal (give it some 'balls'). i'd also use it to drive my OD or fuzz (or both) harder, i may also use it for a boost to help my solos cut through. a boost's components a picked more to add charecter.

btw, i personally run a boost. my boost is an adaptation of a popular mixing board preamp that was popular back in the day (it was useful in the studio to run your guitar signal to a mixing board then out to the guitar amp back in the day to get a desired tone). i also have a 7 or 8 band eq with boost. i use the boost, i have the EQ in case i need it (i haven't needed it in a few years).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at May 20, 2010,