I need a bit of help. I've been learning my major and minor arpeggios all positions and how to join them together. However, when I try soling with them the notes are right, but it just doesn't sound like music. I wondered if anyone had any tips on how to combine scales and arpeggios into something that sounds musical, or if anyone can think of any great examples of this? (I've been looking at a lot of Avenged Sevenfold as the solos utilize arpeggios and sound really cool, especially Seize the Day).

Thanks
my teacher told me, to use arpeggio along with modes.. hahaha,,
You have to pay attention to the chords underneath. The arpeggios are usually made of the notes which make up the chord playing underneath the lead.

A good example would be 95% of times arpeggios are used.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You need to make a melody and somehow use your arpeggios in order to maintain it... thats the easy but difficult answer
I understand that the chords underneath will give you your arpeggio, it's just that when I try to make melodies and phrases they sound very mechanical. I'm really looking for ways to make my improvisation smooth, rather than sounding like an exercise.
Quote by Cmd. Cool
I'm really looking for ways to make my improvisation smooth, rather than sounding like an exercise.

a lot of guitarists (and, surprisingly, musicians in general) tend to overlook the matter of rhythm. it can make the difference between an exercise and a groove.

how's your rhythm?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
a lot of guitarists (and, surprisingly, musicians in general) tend to overlook the matter of rhythm. it can make the difference between an exercise and a groove.

how's your rhythm?

My rhythm is fairly good, and my phrasing isn't too shabby. I do struggle a bit when trying to sustain notes over chord changes (what sounds awesome over one chord tends to sound less tasty over the next one ). I'm also struggling to get to grips with voice leading; I understand the idea, but trying to apply this to my improvisation on the fly is a real headache for me.
In my opinion, melodies made up of only chord tones sound bland and uninteresting. Look up Marty Friedman's melodic control video, he shows how to incorporate arpeggios into a solo while also using passing tones and such.
Quote by pwrmax
In my opinion, melodies made up of only chord tones sound bland and uninteresting. Look up Marty Friedman's melodic control video, he shows how to incorporate arpeggios into a solo while also using passing tones and such.

One thousand thanks, man! This is exactly what I've been looking for!

Cheers
Quote by Cmd. Cool
I understand that the chords underneath will give you your arpeggio, it's just that when I try to make melodies and phrases they sound very mechanical. I'm really looking for ways to make my improvisation smooth, rather than sounding like an exercise.

Ummm.... those two would definitely indicate phrasing problems... but yeah... its all good... u found something
listen to studio version of scarified by racer x.
in the live space ship version paul gilbert string skips but in studio version the apreggios are swept