Hey UG,

I have a question concerning a few clone pedals I'm making. I've ordered the parts for a Triangle Muff and soon I'll order for a fuzz face. These are for me, but if they sound good can I legally sell them without stepping on any copyright/patent toes? Obviously, I'd market them as clone and not claim to be original. I know that there are many pedals out there that are practically identical to each other and even claim to be original. So yeah...any thoughts?

Thanks to all,
Drav...
name it something different and say it sounds and reacts similar to a ... generic pedal name that you copied
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Privately you really won't get into any trouble, but if you decide to start a business based on your clones you may want to do a little more research.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i would start selling them to your friends/players you know under the table just to see how consumers like them and to get reviews and feedback. that way you can both make moneey tax free and know if you have a good product. you win both ways.

personally, i think it would be cool to know i have a custom pedal that both sounds good and is 100% unique. sounds baller to say you have custom made gear instead of the standard boss DS-1 or whatever. dime a dozen.
Cool. All good points. ikey, I agree with your last statement (Wampler comes to mind), but we all have to start somewhere, eh? lol. I actually have a half designed distortion pedal I'm working on.
Some of the DIY schematics, are just a pedal clone, then they just change it a bit(Add tone pots etc.) If you don't feel comfortable making your own, just do this.
..I was watching my death.
IIRC the pedal manufacturer can't actually copyright the wiring itself, just the name and the design of the pedal itself. Plus if you used an actual PCB from the pedal or something then they might have something to say about that. Otherwise if you put the schematic from a DIY website onto a stripboard or perfboard, use yourself a generic metal case and call it something like the "large **** phi" or something like that then you should be okay. I also agree that you can add a couple of mods to differentiate your pedal's wiring from the OEM wiring slightly, plus improve the tone and useability.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at May 20, 2010,
Quote by timbit2006
Some of the DIY schematics, are just a pedal clone, then they just change it a bit(Add tone pots etc.) If you don't feel comfortable making your own, just do this.

+1.

Or build the 2 pedals into one or something. Give it a silly name and tell players you know about it.

Or even ebay, if you were feeling confident
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.