I play a Washburn WG587 7 string with EMG pickups. I feel like I am pretty good at it. However, when I play the ESP Viper-300M at my local Sam Ash I feel like I am a hell of a lot better. Can anyone explain this to me? This may seem like a dumb question but I am really curious. Is it a thinner or shorter neck or the SIT strings?
Maybe the neck fits your hands better, the strings are different, the action is lower or you can play better with the standard string spacing on a 6 string guitar.
well most likely it's either the action of the guitar or the gauge of the strings that are on it. can you describe exactly how you felt like you were better? that might help me more

I would agree with the post above, the shape of the back of the neck might have something to do with it. that would affect the way you grab the neck, which would affect your fingers' access to the frets. the fretboard radius might have something to do with it too, but i doubt it would really make enough of a difference for you to notice.

the shorter neck has little or nothing to do with your playing after the 3rd or 4th fret. if you were playing higher up you shouldnt notice a difference at all
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by rtfk101

the shorter neck has little or nothing to do with your playing after the 3rd or 4th fret. if you were playing higher up you shouldnt notice a difference at all
Bollocks, different scale lengths are noticably different at the higher frets, perhaps moreso than at the lower frets. It's only really frets 5-14 where the difference between say, 25.5" and 24.75" scale isn't so obvious. Higher and lower, it is definitely very noticable.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.