So I ordered this kit from BYOGuitar.com.

So far I am really impressed looks really nice and everything fits together fine (Especially the neck joint)

PICS:

Going to start building it on the weekend and as you can see, the finish is pretty nice
Quote by Vauxite
Lots of lulz were produced, thankyou good sir
That finish is pimpin.

Looks way better than the burst on most lower end strat type guitars. The wood really shows through and has some good grain. Good luck with it.
Damn, I've never been to that site before, looks like some good prices for what looks pretty top notch.

What kind of pickups did you pick? Let me know how they sound when done with the build

Also, how much building do you have to do? Are all the holes for the neck and such drilled out, you just gotta tighten the screws? That same kit with the cherry burst body is kinda calling my name right now. Would love to know how good your's comes out when all is said and done.
Quote by clicky234
Damn, I've never been to that site before, looks like some good prices for what looks pretty top notch.

What kind of pickups did you pick? Let me know how they sound when done with the build

Also, how much building do you have to do? Are all the holes for the neck and such drilled out, you just gotta tighten the screws? That same kit with the cherry burst body is kinda calling my name right now. Would love to know how good your's comes out when all is said and done.

Well the holes are drilled into the body in the neck joint so you have to do the pilot holes in the actual neck aswell as doing all the other screws like the bridge, pickguard, tuners input jack etc.

I got the licensed fender one from mighty something that they have advertised.

In regards to pickups im sticking with the stock pups for now to keep costs down but it is my birthday soon so if it turns into a nice guitar i'll splash out on some vintage fender pups

First problem - I ordered a graphtach TUSQ XL nut but they've already fitted a nut to the neck. Not the one i wanted. How would I swap them out?
Quote by Vauxite
Quote by wigzwamz
First problem - I ordered a graphtach TUSQ XL nut but they've already fitted a nut to the neck. Not the one i wanted. How would I swap them out?

+1 to this question

and looks great so far!
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Quote by wigzwamz

I've never done this before but have read on how to do it.

Basically you would take a small block of wood, hold against the side of the current nut and tap it with a hammer. Nut's should't have much glue underneath, and hopefully it pops out fairly easily.

When you put the new one in use the tiniest bit of wood glue underneath it and clamp it down.

This place has a great tutorial.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/nuts.htm
Another not so major problem is that the pickguard doesn't fit the body so well as i can't figure out how to make the wires go into the cavity not on to of the wood so that I can get it to fit on properly. Any tips?

It's probably just going to be trial and error.
Quote by Vauxite
I want a kit from there very badly. That PRS copy is looking great.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I want a kit from there very badly. That PRS copy is looking great.

If this one goes well I know what I want for xmas I am really into that RG kit and the PRS.
Quote by Vauxite
Same here but I've always wanted a PRS style and that veneer is great. I'm only interested in the body and neck pretty much.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Same here but I've always wanted a PRS style and that veneer is great. I'm only interested in the body and neck pretty much.

The hardware that I got with mine isn't terrible but I will change them if this turns out to be a success. It's worth upgrading to grovers and getting a new nut IMO. The pickups and bridge will be the first to go.

The body is routed to HSH but the pickguard is prewired to SSS ho that means I could wire it for HSS or SSH or HSH, right? (Obviously with new pickups)
Quote by Vauxite
Quote by wigzwamz
The hardware that I got with mine isn't terrible but I will change them if this turns out to be a success. It's worth upgrading to grovers and getting a new nut IMO. The pickups and bridge will be the first to go.

The body is routed to HSH but the pickguard is prewired to SSS ho that means I could wire it for HSS or SSH or HSH, right? (Obviously with new pickups)

As far as I know, yea that sounds right.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by wigzwamz

Yea, you could rewire it, but that would involve either cutting (always turns out bad) or buying a new pickgaurd.

Also, the picture looks like the pick gaurd is sitting in place fine. Normally you would set the pick gaurd down in the perfect spot as you would want it, hold it in place, then pencil in the circles for the screws. Then move pickgaurd and predrill the holes for the screws (though you might not need to predrill but I've seen plenty of examples of wood splitting any time your near a cavity of a strat if you don't predrill)

Could you include a backside picture of the pickgaurd and maybe a picture of it not fitting in properly or something?
Quote by clicky234
Yea, you could rewire it, but that would involve either cutting (always turns out bad) or buying a new pickgaurd.

Also, the picture looks like the pick gaurd is sitting in place fine. Normally you would set the pick gaurd down in the perfect spot as you would want it, hold it in place, then pencil in the circles for the screws. Then move pickgaurd and predrill the holes for the screws (though you might not need to predrill but I've seen plenty of examples of wood splitting any time your near a cavity of a strat if you don't predrill)

Could you include a backside picture of the pickgaurd and maybe a picture of it not fitting in properly or something?

It's all sorted now (I just tucked the wires behind the pickups a little and it worked fine)
Quote by Vauxite
Finish looks good, unfortunately, the middle piece of that 3-piece body doesn't match well with the two side pieces.

A bit of advice for your drilling: before drilling anything with a finish, put a piece of masking tape over the spot. This makes it less likely to chip or crack the finish.
Quote by cedricsmods
Finish looks good, unfortunately, the middle piece of that 3-piece body doesn't match well with the two side pieces.

I rather liked that about it. Alot of character
Been a while now but i think I have some MAJOR problems

As you can see there's a gap between the body and the bridge. Is this bad?

Sorry for the bad quality; phone camera
Quote by Vauxite
Come up with an idea. Could I put a strip of leather of something there, in the gap?

If not, why.

And, how bad is this going to be for the playability etc,
Quote by Vauxite
It looks like you're using a vintage trem (or something similar) and when you put on the strings the bridge lifted? I think the norm is about 1/8" of a gap between the bridge and body but its all preference. To get rid of the gap, tighten the springs in the spring cavity, to make it bigger loosen them
Quote by michaelbot9000
It looks like you're using a vintage trem (or something similar) and when you put on the strings the bridge lifted? I think the norm is about 1/8" of a gap between the bridge and body but its all preference. To get rid of the gap, tighten the springs in the spring cavity, to make it bigger loosen them

There are no strings on it. It's the way I drilled it.
Quote by Vauxite
Quote by wigzwamz
There are no strings on it. It's the way I drilled it.

Is your bridge in the correct position? Either you've installed it too close to the neck or the routing is too far from the bridge.
Quote by lostcreation333
Is your bridge in the correct position? Either you've installed it too close to the neck or the routing is too far from the bridge.

Ether way, is it bad if I were to leave it. I drilled one hole which is probably out s, I'll fill it with wood filler and carry on.
Quote by Vauxite
Quote by wigzwamz
Ether way, is it bad if I were to leave it. I drilled one hole which is probably out s, I'll fill it with wood filler and carry on.

It would depend how far out. As long as the saddles have enough travel in them for proper intonation then it'll be ok.

Since you have the bridge fully installed, string it up and sort your intonation. Then you will know for sure.

Quote by lostcreation333
It would depend how far out. As long as the saddles have enough travel in them for proper intonation then it'll be ok.

Since you have the bridge fully installed, string it up and sort your intonation. Then you will know for sure.

Wi do. Also looks like I may want to take another look at the neck tomorrow
Quote by Vauxite
Finished the neck joint so it is PERFECT! that was long and tedious :\
Quote by Vauxite