Hey,

Got myself a used Ibanez JS100. Love it, but the pups don't seem to be as hot as I'd like.

I'm not looking for any face-melting shredding or anything, just a nice balanced tone. I've raised up the pickups a bit, slightly improved it but they're still lacking.

Anyone got suggestions?
How far are they from the strings now? (Note measure by depressing the strings at the last fret and measuring from the bottom of the strings to the tops of the pole pieces on Low & High E)
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
How far are they from the strings now? (Note measure by depressing the strings at the last fret and measuring from the bottom of the strings to the tops of the pole pieces on Low & High E)

About 5mm.

And about actives, I don't want to route a batt cavity.

Edit:

5mm on the low E.
Around 3mm on the high.
Last edited by DeadlySurfer at May 20, 2010,
maybe a Dimarzio super distortion II in the bridge (they're not as high gain as they sound) and a breed in the neck
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Dimarzio D-Activators? or maybe Seymour Duncan SH-8?

just trying to give a couple of suggestions.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
About 5mm.

And about actives, I don't want to route a batt cavity.

Edit:

5mm on the low E.
Around 3mm on the high.

You don't have to route at all. The battery will fit in the control cavity, or under the pickup itself.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
There are plenty of good high-output passive pickups to choose from. I recommend the Duncan Distortions. Also look at DiMarzio's Super Distortion. Bare Knuckle pickups are earning quite a reputation, but they aren't common in the U.S. Stay away from the EMG passive HZ series. They are toneless.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Hey,

Got myself a used Ibanez JS100. Love it, but the pups don't seem to be as hot as I'd like.

I'm not looking for any face-melting shredding or anything, just a nice balanced tone. I've raised up the pickups a bit, slightly improved it but they're still lacking.

Anyone got suggestions?

Quote by firebird103
replace with active pickups? maybe some emg's or blackouts depending on your preference.

WHAT?

TS, I've heard the Seymour Duncan JB bridge / 59 neck combo is incredibly balanced, but I'm not sure how that would work out on basswood.

Also the Dimarzio site has this pickup picker thing where you put in what you want out of you pups and the site recommends some for you.
I would not suggest any pickup with the word "distortion" in the title. they usually tend to sound like crap and are very unversatile.

what kind of amp(and settings)/effects are you using?
^ Have you ever heard a Super Distortion? They're sweet.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Super Distortion is primarily a bridge pickup, and isn't really meant (imo) to be played completely clean. Obviously there are many different pickups (mostly neck position) that sound far better clean.

But that's not what you said, and that's not what he said he was looking for. You said they sound like crap, and they don't. They excel at what they were made for.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Hey,

Anyone got suggestions?

I'd recommend Gibson Iommi pickups, they rock. Sound great in the neck position as well. They're about as high output as you can go without going active.
What is your rig setup?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Depending on your amp, pedals, play style and how you set your rig up, output might be utterly pointless anyway - in fact high output can be a very negative force within your rig depending on how you set everything up and play, even if you were after the most ''brutal'' of face-melting heavy metal distortion.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Offworld92
The Super Distortion is primarily a bridge pickup, and isn't really meant (imo) to be played completely clean. Obviously there are many different pickups (mostly neck position) that sound far better clean.

But that's not what you said, and that's not what he said he was looking for. You said they sound like crap, and they don't. They excel at what they were made for.

If you were actually reading and not just assuming everyone only wants br00tal tones, you would see that he said he doesn't want something too shreddy. He said he wants a balanced pickup, and their is absolutely nothing balanced about a "super distortion" pickup.
You can use bigger string to get more output. No promise that it will fix your problem but it will help...
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
I've sorted it now.

I traded it in, it just wasn't working, and wasn't worth spending 100-200 on new pickups.
Quote by handbanana
If you were actually reading and not just assuming everyone only wants br00tal tones, you would see that he said he doesn't want something too shreddy. He said he wants a balanced pickup, and their is absolutely nothing balanced about a "super distortion" pickup.

Stop stereotyping/generalizing about me, damn it. The Super Distortion isn't known for being relentlessly brutal.

And that's entirely besides the point. I have and can play good sounding acoustic type stuff with active EMG's (Pearl of the Stars by Coheed and Cambria, and a song I wrote myself, for example), and EMG's are arguably the most metal pickups out there.

I know the issue is ended, but I don't want you to form a bunch of misconceptions about me, or about any given pickup.

The Super Distortion isn't the most balanced pickup out there, no, but all I'm trying to say is that it could be capable of giving a tone he likes.

In the original post, he said he wanted something a little hotter than the stock pickups he has. I think the Super Distortion is a viable option to at least consider, because it does have a fairly high output, but it isn't absolutely brutal and crushing. It's probably in the range of what he's looking for.

If not, no harm no foul, but it doesn't hurt to consider possibilities.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X