what is the difference? is analog natural? is it the difference between a tube amp and a modeling amp? because i was youtubeing delay pedals and i listened to a EHX memory toy/boy/boy deluxe. those sound AMAZING (for a pedal under 200 bucks). in comparison i listened to a tone lok ibanez delay and compared to the EHX is sounded like garbage. ive listed to BOSS pedals like the DD-7 which is really nice too, but the analog had a way different sound.
yea i prefer analog myself but line 6 makes a really nice one for like 300
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
yeah i know. good delays are expensive. thats why i was surprised that the EHX base line one is about 90-100 and sounds really good. seems like the best affordable delays that still give good sound are the BOSS ones which are around 150 (depending on the model).
analog is better but more expensive. most processors in the pedals take the analog signal from the guitar, change it to digital, add what ever effect then try and convert it back to analog for the amp to process. this changeing from one state to another looses the quality of the signal

Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez Masa SX60
Roland Cube 60
CryBaby GCB 95
Ibanez GSR180 Bass

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
It depends on the case. You can't universally say the other is better; just like you can't state that tube amps are always better.
analog delay usually sounds like each repeat looses brightness. depends on which pedal were talkin about though. digital doesn't do any filtering unless its modelled after an analog pedal. digital trying to sound analog. some pedals are digital versions of a tape delay sound. some even mimic the tape head noise.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by MoshMaster
analog is better but more expensive. most processors in the pedals take the analog signal from the guitar, change it to digital, add what ever effect then try and convert it back to analog for the amp to process. this changeing from one state to another looses the quality of the signal

Analog is not always more expensive
You don't lose signal quality if the pedal in question has good a/d converters

So TS, it all comes down to what you want to pay and the kinda of sound you want. For dealys, I find that digital is better for high gain stuff, and analog is more for clean stuff. But then, some digital delays have good analog and tape recreations. So yeah, if you pay alot for a digital unit, it can be as good and even better than an analog unit because with digital you can have more features and you can have presets.
Quote by Sguit

dude im studying electrical engineering at uni, there is no digital to analog or vis versa converter thats perfect and the ones that are near close are rather expensive

Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez Masa SX60
Roland Cube 60
CryBaby GCB 95
Ibanez GSR180 Bass

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Quote by MoshMaster
dude im studying electrical engineering at uni, there is no digital to analog or vis versa converter thats perfect and the ones that are near close are rather expensive

Yeah it's true that none is perfect, I guess my point is just that, if you pay enough for a digital effects processor signal loss through a/d converters won't be a major problem as opposed to cheaper ones.
I have an old DOD FX-90. Like it. Just got an old Ibanez AD99. At first blush, I like it more than the DOD.

I also have a Digitech RDS-1900 rack digital delay. The double, flange, and chorus settings I am not sold on... but the echo. Now there is what a digital delay is good for IMHO. Longer repeats.

I have run the DOD on short repeats into the Digitech on longer repeats with some interesting results. Not The Edge (2 Korg SDD-3000's in parallel) or Andy Summers (MXR Analog Delay > 2 Echoplex's) like results but interesting nonetheless.

So to the TS, it is all about what you like.

I am going to go stack the analog delays now.

EDIT: The AD99 and FX90 are very close in terms of delay repeat time... maybe I need that DD-3 after all.
Last edited by irnmadn88 at May 20, 2010,
From the thread title i thought it would concern ALL effects rather than just delay alone.

Digital delays do have more options than analog ones. Take a look at the TC Nova Repeater while at digital delays.

Quote by MoshMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sguit

I wish the universities at my place had the option for picking sound engineering along with electrical engineering too.
Quote by MoshMaster
Is that why CDs sound so bad?
I really like my boss digital delay and my whammy pedal which is digital. I'm not an elitist who dislikes digital just because loads of guys from the old days claim 'TEH ANALOGZ IS BETTARS!!1111 OLOLOL'. Fact is they're both good for different things. You might want to use digital or analogue if you have the choice.
Quote by MoshMaster

You do know that putting anything into a tube amp will always 'degrade' teh signal anyway. Fact is that colour to the tone is what makes people prefer tube amps , that cutting off of the high end etc.
Quote by fly135
Is that why CDs sound so bad?

I still have some CD's with the AAD label on them...