Video. A CBS news crew was ordered to stop filming the oil-covered coastline by a ship that held BP contractors and, yep, Coast Guard officers, under threat of arrest. Said it was "BP's rules, not ours."

In case you were wondering just how run by corporations America is, now we know they can have you arrested and the Coast Guard is pretty much fine with it. (Inb4 the military calls those officers "bad apples.") Discuss.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Bad apples. Because that's what they are. Don't act like you know any more.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought

I'm not saying I do know any more. It's just the most likely explanation, and we'll never know otherwise.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

We aren't allowed to see what they're doing to attempt to stop this? Awesome!
All I know is that they better do something soon, because here when theres a wind from the northwest you can smell oil, which means it's at least close
love is love // return to dust
Sure they are coast guards?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Sure they are coast guards?

I wouldn't put it past CBS news to make hasty assumptions or etc, but it seems unlikely that simply a contractor would threaten to arrest you.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Also, it's probably not a big deal. It IS the news, so it IS sensationalized.

The military falls wayside to the civilian authority more than you think, and the officers/enlisted we see in the video would not be doing their job if they didn't follow suit.

They were probably just umbrella'd under BPs authority to most easily and efficiently facilitate whatever BP would need in order to clean up the problem, ie "Take orders from them completely so that we can resolve this issue quickest." This would just be a small extension of that, not a singular twisted event.
The lack of concern by the US gov't shows how owned they are.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Dreadnought

The military falls wayside to the civilian authority more than you think, and the officers/enlisted we see in the video would not be doing their job if they didn't follow suit.

Interesting, other examples?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Zombee
The lack of concern by the US gov't shows how owned they are.

Lack of concern? I don't think that's the problem here. The problem is that there's not much they can do.

...Unless you listen to the Russians and nuke the damn thing, which is probably even worse than letting all the oil in the well leak out. Radiation = bad. Going to have 3 eyed fish and problems procreating.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Dreadnought

seems like you're the one acting like you know. Not saying that I agree with either of you.

personally i think todays batch of apples is 90% bad and the good ones are seen as spoiling the bunch :S

but I do theorize that the "Great" (lol) US of A is overwhelmingly run by corporations and money scandals, bribes and the like. Corruption and greed, awesome.

in this story it just seems like more of the same IMO, but there is always ample room for the media to blow things out of proportion so who really knows.

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Oh no! BP were trying to clear up an oil spill and asked someone to get out of the way so they could actually get on with their jobs - what is happening to this world? America has clearly sold it self down the drain.

Seriously - imagine a similar situation - It's bin day and the bin lorry is coming down your road. A news crew is filming the bin lorry as part of a story, but in doing so is completely blocking the road. The bin men ask the film crew to move. AMERICA IS RUN BY BIN MEN - THEY ARE TAKING OVER! SENSATIONALIST SENTENCE!
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at May 20, 2010,
I don't give a fuck.

If it stops this damn thing any faster, let them do it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by doive
Oh no! BP were trying to clear up an oil spill and asked someone to get out of the way so they could actually get on with their jobs - what is happening to this world? America has clearly sold it self down the drain.

Seriously - imagine a similar situation - It's bin day and the bin lorry is coming down your road. A news crew is filming the bin lorry as part of a story, but in doing so is completely blocking the road. The bin men ask the film crew to move. AMERICA IS RUN BY BIN MEN - THEY ARE TAKING OVER! SENSATIONALIST SENTENCE!

That analogy only works if the bin men are threatening to arrest the film crew and have a couple of Army officers with them.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

if bp can run our coast guard then shell will run the army. shell ftw
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by deafening
seems like you're the one acting like you know.

Because I do know.
I don't get how an accident that is out of BP's control,which BP are trying to fix best they can. At great expense to themselves, despite the rig that is linked to this problem being run by a seperate company. Get's BP so much hate.

Bloody Yanks.
Quote by SG_dave
I don't get how an accident that is out of BP's control,which BP are trying to fix best they can. At great expense to themselves, despite the rig that is linked to this problem being run by a seperate company. Get's BP so much hate.

Bloody Yanks.

Blame is always passed around. No need to make yourself look stupid and ignant by pretending it's an American thing.
Quote by SG_dave

Bloody Yanks.

Well it is their fault for not following safety regs.

What does the B in BP stand for again?
Quote by captaincrunk
It sounds more like the police telling you to leave someone's property than BP ordering around soldiers.

Except the coast isn't BP property...?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa