Slightly GAS'ing for a new aquisition, or at least something good to look at/into, and remembered baritone guitars. I was just wondering what they'd be best for. I know they're good for down-tuning, and more metal-y stuff, just wondering if thats it. I'm into post-rock, and more "chill" stuff, and thought it'd be intersting to use a baritone on that.

Also, where should I look? Hypothetical budget would be $600 or so, but I'll look into anything, even if I can't buy it just to compare.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
What brand has good baritones?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Schechter and PRS make baritones for metal in C/B/A tunings, the scale isn’t really long enough to go much lower without some crazy heavy strings. Gretsch/Dano/Fender make baritones for less crunchy music, and also have models with really longer scales that can get you into six-string bass territory, however these guitars all tend to be in production only for a year or two, so you might have to go used and spend more for them. And if you really have money to throw aroundthe Buckethead signature Les Paul has a 27" scale and two killswitches, although it looks appropriately weird, and I believe it comes set up for playing in standard tuning and would need a new nut and a serious setup to work in a low tuning.
The new ish PRS SE Mike M custom is a baritone and meant to be very good for the money,

there is also a new Ibby that has extended scale and i have heard pretty good things about it too...

http://www.prsguitars.com/mushok/index.html

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGD320

i know the ibby is defo in your budget and i think the SE is very fairly priced to,

i think a baritone would work well for post rock, you could get some real mellow sounds with a de tuned guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The Ibby isn't all that extended. At least for a bari. [edit: nevermind. thought it was 25.5, not 26.5.]
The MM is awesome, but I can't find it online at GC or MF. And how much is it? 600 or so?
Where does a bass start at for scale length? Purely curious.

And, if all else fails, I was thinking of buying a decent guitar (hopefully just the body) and just putting a 26"-28" scale neck on there. Good idea? Yes? No?

EDIT 2: And Tom, what do you mean by detuned? Like just different tunings like drop D? or like B?

ALSO: I can't find a price for the Stephen Carpenter (ESP/LTD sig) 8 string baritone. Anyone know the price?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at May 20, 2010,
I own the Mike Mushok Baritone. It is fantastic, and very high quality for the price. I got mine from Sweetwater and highly recommend them. I think I paid $620 for it, although I would try and negotiate with them if I were you as they are often willing to move on price a tad. Its a 27.7" scale and comes stock with .014-.068 strings. Awesome for B tuning or C standard/Drop A# (In flames, Breaking Benjamin, etc).

Last edited by GuitarDTO at May 20, 2010,
Oh my bajeezus DTO, thats sweet. Too bad I should probably get an amp first... If you ever get sick of her (haha) just let me know.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Slightly GAS'ing for a new aquisition, or at least something good to look at/into, and remembered baritone guitars. I was just wondering what they'd be best for. I know they're good for down-tuning, and more metal-y stuff, just wondering if thats it. I'm into post-rock, and more "chill" stuff, and thought it'd be intersting to use a baritone on that.

Also, where should I look? Hypothetical budget would be $600 or so, but I'll look into anything, even if I can't buy it just to compare.

I suppose there are all sorts of things you could use a baritone guitar for. Agile makes a really nice one:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product3339.html
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
So an Agile would probably be my best bet? I love that one you linked to FatalGear, but I dont want to spend $700 on it. There was another one, I believe it was an Agile AB-3000? for only $450 or so.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
The Ibby isn't all that extended. At least for a bari. [edit: nevermind. thought it was 25.5, not 26.5.]
The MM is awesome, but I can't find it online at GC or MF. And how much is it? 600 or so?
Where does a bass start at for scale length? Purely curious.

And, if all else fails, I was thinking of buying a decent guitar (hopefully just the body) and just putting a 26"-28" scale neck on there. Good idea? Yes? No?

EDIT 2: And Tom, what do you mean by detuned? Like just different tunings like drop D? or like B?

ALSO: I can't find a price for the Stephen Carpenter (ESP/LTD sig) 8 string baritone. Anyone know the price?

I think the Carpenter is about 1300.
FOR SALE, PM me offers!:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifer - 9/10 Condition
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cabinet - 9/10 Condition
Jerry Cantrell Wah - 10/10
Dimebag Wah - 9/10

7-STRING/ERG LEGION.