I'm struggling with a few techniques and was wondering if you guys could help? I've been having trouble pinch harmonics because i have no idea how to do it, palm muting because it never really sounds good (sounds like i'm wearing ear muffs and it never sounds clear at all) and bending repeatedley but only hearing me bending up and not releasing the bend. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.
pinch harmonic: u should know exatcly where to pinch...there's no room for error here...u shld hld the pick from the bottom and wen u pick u shld follow it directly with ur thumb just touching the string...pratice on the 12th fret without fretting the string( use high e string at first) pinch exactly above the metal fret...btw u shl push ur switch selector all the way towards the bridge so u cld hear it much clearer and longer
palm muting: u should place ur picking hand on the strings just next to the bridge, only slightly touching the strings...dont put too much or u will muted completed! search 4 pictures 4 it 4 better understanding on the posture of ur hand
Pinch Harmonics: While doing a down stroke, you touch the string with your fleshy thumb. Essentially, what your doing is "pinching" the pick so you can bring the skin down on that string. Thats what gives you that nice squeal. You can also do it different places, from right above your bridge pickup till about the neck joint. Zakk Wylde does something like this in Stillborn. You should get really nice full harmonics if you're playing on your fat E string, and you can pull them off anywhere; It's just a matter of technique and muscle memory.

Palm Muting: Dave Mustaine put out a pretty good article in Gutiar World about palm muting and some other basics. My palm muting technique is pretty flawed, it always sounds like shit when I do upstrokes, but really you're just laying your [picking] hand on the strings right about at the bridge. You can switch up your hand position and get different types of muting depending on how hard you push and how far your hand is from the bridge. You shouldn't expect it to be to clear, you really don't get too good of clarity with *chug chug chug*, you know what I mean?

Bending: IMO, repeated bending sounds nicer without the bending down. The only exception I'd give there is when you're wailing away, you do 4 repeated bends and let down nice and slow.
Last edited by Ghost of Sparta at May 21, 2010,
Quote by Ghost of Sparta
You shouldn't expect it to be to clear, you really don't get too good of clarity with *chug chug chug*, you know what I mean?

Bending: IMO, repeated bending sounds nicer without the bending down. The only exception I'd give there is when you're wailing away, you do 4 repeated bends and let down nice and slow.

Yeah I know what you mean but what I mean is if you listen to She-Wolf by Megadeth, Metal Militia by Metallica and Raining Blood by Slayer you can sort of hear each individual note when they're muting and it sounds 'clear' if you get me? When I try it I can't get that sort of sound and I was wondering if its my technique or because they have good gear to get a good sound or maybe both?

And with bending I've been trying to learn Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower and in the solo at the start he bends the string 4 times but when I do it you can hear me releasing the bend before bending up again so I could use some help with stopping that if anyone has any tips
Quote by I'm-A-Stain
I'm struggling with a few techniques and was wondering if you guys could help? I've been having trouble pinch harmonics because i have no idea how to do it, palm muting because it never really sounds good (sounds like i'm wearing ear muffs and it never sounds clear at all) and bending repeatedley but only hearing me bending up and not releasing the bend. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

I used to have problems with pinch harmonics and then I watched two random youtube videos on how to do them and practiced them for a while and I still couldn't do them that afternoon, but I went to sleep and the next day I was doing them on accident, lol. Its just one of those things that one day you can't do them and then the next your doing them all over the place.

As far as palm muting, sounds like you have too much of your palm on the strings, experiment by putting just a little bit them a little more and such till you find the sound your looking for, palm muting always sounds better the higher you turn the distortion up. Well at least it does for me.
Pinching: Two things come to mind. First, if you're looking for loud, beastly pinch harmonic tone like Zakk Wylde or Lamb of God you need ultra high gain. Second, where you pick/pinch on the string makes all the difference. It's 50% how you execute the technique with your right thumb and 50% where you do it. Perfectly executed technique won't give you the harmonic if you do it in the wrong place on the string. As for finding the "sweet spot", you just have to experiment. It's different on each string based upon which fret you're on. Try fretting the 5th fret on your third string and then picking all different positions and listen to the difference. You should be able to hear it. There is an excellent video that demonstrates this on Justinguitar.com, check out his pinch harmonic video.

Bending: The only thing that will help you here is practice. Try using more than one finger on your bends. Sometimes it's tough to bend properly if you don't have enough finger strength but you can overcome it if you use a second finger on a lower fret to help you get the leverege/control you need. Keep doing it over and over, you'll get it.

Palm muting: One thing I find is that I get completely different palm mute tone depending on whereI mute. How far up or down you place the muting hand will change how much the strings can vibrate. If you have it all the way down at the very end where the strings go into the body of the guitar it'll be a lit different sound than if you let your palm grace the strings just past your bridge pickup. Experiment with hand placement and varying the amount of downward pressure your muting hand is putting on the strings till you find a tone you like. This is also something that can vary from song to song depending on what type of tone you're trying to get.

Good luck, don't get frustrated, and keep at it!
Quote by I'm-A-Stain
Yeah I know what you mean but what I mean is if you listen to She-Wolf by Megadeth, Metal Militia by Metallica and Raining Blood by Slayer you can sort of hear each individual note when they're muting and it sounds 'clear' if you get me? When I try it I can't get that sort of sound and I was wondering if its my technique or because they have good gear to get a good sound or maybe both?

And with bending I've been trying to learn Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower and in the solo at the start he bends the string 4 times but when I do it you can hear me releasing the bend before bending up again so I could use some help with stopping that if anyone has any tips

So, it might be your technique, it could be your gear sounds muddy, maybe its both, maybe you aren't listening enough Like a few others said, it depends on how hard you're "palming" your notes. Picking is another thing to consider too. Are you picking like a pansy girl, or are you being aggressive? Experiment for yourself to see what kind of mutes you can get, and what YOU like for mutes. You can use those accordingly if you know what you're doing...

As for bending, when you hit your mark you should release the string. Not so it goes all *PANG* and whatnot, just release and keep your finger on the string. IF your calouses are hard enough, the string should stay right in the groove and not slide off. So don't keep it fretted, but don't release it, either. You can also use your pick hand to mute the string, if that is more comfortable.
Also, what Andy said. Practice is the only thing that'll help you, because you're building that muscle strength and also the muscle memory to make those bends sweet.

Just keep a cool head IF you get frusterated