Does anybody know an downpicked riff that's as hard as master of puppets. I'm tired of practicing mop for downpicking; I need a new challenge
thanks
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Blackened is always a good one but there are plenty of other, faster bands; try bands like Trivium (Ember To Inferno is plenty faster than MoP and they downpick it all).

If you really want a challenge then you could try playing Bleed by Meshuggah wrongly, they actually alternate pick the whole thing but it's definitely a downpickable speed if you practice eonugh.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I honestly don't think that can be done.

It's about 10bpm slower than the studio recording of Trivium's Ember To Inferno which they play faster and entirely downpick live... it's entirely possible. Also I believe there's a track by The Berserker which clocks in at 260bpm and is entirely downpicked in 8ths.

I honestly think it's doable, just difficult

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Fight Fire With Fire

****ing Hetfield and his downpicking skills.
I listen to mostly anything, except country and rap.
Thanks for the replies! I'll check those songs out
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Blackened is always a good one but there are plenty of other, faster bands; try bands like Trivium (Ember To Inferno is plenty faster than MoP and they downpick it all).

If you really want a challenge then you could try playing Bleed by Meshuggah wrongly, they actually alternate pick the whole thing but it's definitely a downpickable speed if you practice eonugh.

hmm I thought it was DUD D DUD D DUD D etc.
Quote by RiseAgainstScum
Fight Fire With Fire

Not downpicked
edgy meems only friendo :^)
FFWF is not downpicked.

My thrash senses are tingling, give me a sec and I'll come up with some good songs.

EDIT: Eh, stick it, I just went with the first things that came to my mind:

Demolition Hammer - .44 Caliber Brain Surgery (Tortured Existence)
Sepultura - Inner Self (Beneath the Remains)
Testament - Over the Wall (The Legacy)

The last two in particular are fairly well-known in thrash-terms, but all of them kick ass. Good start if you want to expand your knowledge in this genre in general; the albums' names are in hyphens.

Oh, and they're all good for some down-picking action.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Last edited by we_built_a_tree at May 21, 2010,
Quote by WishfulShredder
hmm I thought it was DUD D DUD D DUD D etc.

Nah, if you watch the video lesson you can see he's playing it DUD U DUD U and so on.

Also I would love to see if anyone can keep up with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_-i7CXPJoo

Edit: A lot of Slipknot stuff is really good for downpicking, like the second or third riff in The Nameless and the chromatic break in the middle of Surfacing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at May 21, 2010,
The hardest downpicked riff I'm aware of is The Berzerker's "Massacre".

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/berzerker/massacre_ver2_guitar_pro.htm

Just about humanly playable though, if you're finding MoP easy.

I think your maths is off.

115bpm 32nds = 230 16ths.

If Trivium can downpick 240 then I need to see that.

Also I believe there's a track by The Berserker which clocks in at 260bpm and is entirely downpicked in 8ths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No8tX3o0j8M&feature=related - the powerchords about 40 seconds in.
Quote by RiseAgainstScum
Fight Fire With Fire

sorry he does not downpick that, if he could that would be amazing.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Quote by Freepower
I think your maths is off.

115bpm 32nds = 230 16ths.

If Trivium can downpick 240 then I need to see that.

Bleed isn't solid 32nds though is it? It's mainly 16ths with the "standard" metal galloping type action in 32nds which equates to more standard gallops at 230 which is, roughly, the speed Trivium play Rain live and is slower than the studio recording of Ember To Inferno as I already mentioned

As for seeing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qahg67Sqmcw That's faster than the studio.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I don't think they're downpicking those 16ths in Ember to Inferno, tbh - and the downpicking in Rain is all 8ths too.

+1 to chromatic breakdown in Surfacing, btw.

Don't get me wrong, Trivium downpick like mofos, but not like, twice as fast as everyone else.
the intro riff to Revolution is my name by Pantera is pretty good and Post Mortem by Slayer aswell. To be honest, most thrash songs will help.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
^ Yeah, Postmortem is a good one. And the 12/8 time will give you a different feel to work on.
Speaking of Slayer - you could give Dead Skin Mask or Expendable Youth a try. These are not harder than MoP in my opinion, downpicked 16th's at around 110 bpm, but the downpicked 16ths have a very different (and cool, IMO) feel than 8ths, so that should be fun if you are bored of fast downpicked 8ths.
Cannibal Corpse - Death Walking Terror

That song is a workout and a half.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Cannibal Corpse - Death Walking Terror

That song is a workout and a half.

to be honest, just about any Cannibal Corpse song is.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Waking the Demon by bullet for my valentine.. that main riff is entirely downpicked, with some pull offs in there for a little break, but yea its at around 125/250 bpm. Actually, most stuff by Bullet is downpicked, i love their style, honestly that stuff is harder to play for me than children of bodom just because of the stamina required to play those riffs. Atleast, on the scream aim fire album.