Page 1 of 2
I've been holding off on making a NGD thread for a while and am finally getting around to it now. Let's start off with a list and pics. I'll probably have to split everything into multiple posts that I'll put up in quick succession with reviews being added individually afterwards.

What I've acquired:
Teese RMC3
Fulltone Full-Drive 2 10th Anniversary
AnalogMan Bi-CompROSSer
DIY SHO Clone
Fender Blues Jr. w/ G12M

Teese RMC3

Fulltone Full-Drive 2 10th Anniversary

AnalogMan Bi-CompROSSer

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
SHO Clone

Board Shot

Blues Jr.

Family Shot (minus my Strat)

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

RMC3

Hands down the best wah I've ever used or owned and I've owned Fulltone, Buddha and my own modded CryBaby and used vintage Vox, Maestro and the like. I set up the sweep to be very similar to the CryBaby I modded which is basically a Clyde with a slightly smoother sweep, slightly more low end and slightly more high end that's also smoother. But even though they sound similar, the RMC has this extra sweetness to the sweep that I haven't heard in any other wahs except for one particular Italian made Vox I've played. The versatility is insane, no other wah can match it. While I loved my Fulltone more than pretty much anything, this beats it hands down. I also like the smaller range of travel on the case as I'm more used to it. Also, Teese is very helpful with tweaking it and has the best customer service ever. The guy really knows his stuff.

FD-2

Basically a modded TS w/ asymmetrical, MOSFET and no diode selection along with a switch to remove the mid hump. It also has more gain on hand than new production Tubescreamers and the boost switch adds to that as well as adding some compression and taking away some high end like any boost in gain will do. Let me say this, I like it much better with single coils than humbuckers as a stand alone overdrive. In comp cut mode into an already dirty amp, it sounds great with anything. For some reason it's not getting along with the Blues Jr. though. It's a nice tone but just not for me and I'll be getting rid of it soon.

Bi-Comp

A modified clone of a ROSS Compressor and Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer put into one pedal. The ROSS side is smooth and refined that can get a bit more transparent at low sustain settings but like any ROSS clone, it takes away some high end sparkle which can be a good or bad thing. The Orange Squeezer is a little more squashed sounding with a bit more output and it has a dirtier sound. It adds a bit of grit that I really like with singe coils. I can get really close to the tone on Sultans of Swing with my Strat. Running both together is over kill and adds too much noise. The ROSS side is almost dead quiet unless running the Sustain knob ridiculously high. The Orange Squeezer is a bit noisier than the ROSS but it's not as bad as AnalogMan makes it out to be on his site. The build quality is absolutely stunning with one of the nicest PCBs I've seen in any piece of equipment.

SHO Clone

I built the stock newer SHO at first and tweaked from there. I tried the older 2 1M input resistors but found I liked the brightness of the 10M better. I also swapped the 10uf output cap for a 4.7uf cap to take away a bit of low end as I felt it had too much stock. Now it really sparkles but adds a really nice second order harmonic. It's typically always on. I'd recommend everyone build one, it's about $40 in parts with shipping and only takes about an hour to finish. I feel mine's a little messy so I'll build another one eventually. I've had no problems with it and I've gigged 3 nights since I built it at the beginning of May.

Blues Jr.

The guy I got this from had the stock speaker and a G12M. I didn't like the stock speaker at all. It was too shrill, boxy and didn't fill out the sound enough. The G12M sounds much fuller, a bit less boxy and smoother on the top end. I feel the master needs to be at 4 for it to start sounding good. It's still somewhat boxy after the speaker swap and I'm either gonna mod the hell out of it or wind up trading it for something I like better. I'm not sure why everyone always says the reverb knob is too sensitive, I've always been able to dial in the exact amount I want. The plastic potentiometers make me angry though and I'm gonna replace them with real metal ones soon.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at May 20, 2010,

congrats on the new gear.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Awesome setup, before I got my XXX, I was gonna go with the same setup, Blues Jr with a bunch of boutique pedals
Nice! If possible, comment on the speaker. I need to swap out the ridiculously heavy EV speaker that's in my BJ, and I'd love to hear about yours. Thanks!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
HNGD

Some really nice stuff there!
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Sid, the G12M is fairly bright but the top end is also smooth if you're running at moderate to high levels. I don't really like this amp at all unless the master is at 4. The low end is somewhat mushy but I like it. It's not gonna be as midrangey as the EV and the low end will be quite a bit smaller and a bit mushier. I'd personally stick with the EV. I'm planning on swapping out the G12M for something else soon, probably a Jensen JET if it will fit.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I got it straight from Mike after a 15 month wait for $275.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Very tasty mate,

like the look of that wah

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by mmolteratx
Sid, the G12M is fairly bright but the top end is also smooth if you're running at moderate to high levels. I don't really like this amp at all unless the master is at 4. The low end is somewhat mushy but I like it. It's not gonna be as midrangey as the EV and the low end will be quite a bit smaller and a bit mushier. I'd personally stick with the EV. I'm planning on swapping out the G12M for something else soon, probably a Jensen JET if it will fit.

If you want something tighter but in the same vein as the G12M you could try a G12H Heritage.

They're sick in 1x12s.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I was considering a G12H or a Scumback clone. I'm just not sure yet but the G12M will definitely be gone in a few weeks. I've got a bunch of cash left over so I might start ordering speakers to try out.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

^ If you get the G12H from Scumback, I'd recommend the 55Hz version as it's less ice-picky than the 75Hz Anniversary one. Very nice speaker.

They also fully break it in for 40 hours on a Variac for $10 more, which is more than worth it, IMO.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Yea, I'll definitely get it broken in if I get it from Scumback.

And the wah is amazing. It ended my search for sure. I haven't even thought about wahs since I got it. It'll never leave my board.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I used to have more ODs than you. You just weren't here back then.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I have your od.
what's the wiio supposed to sound like. I have all the knobs gained but it still sounds good. How do I make it sound bad.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
You have em all dimed? The output one that thing is insane. If you want to make the WIIO sound bad, put it through any traditional Blackface type amp. It hates em all. it loves pretty much anything else though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

sweet! Though i was a bit disappointed that you hadn't got 5 new guitars

the bjr cab is particleboard/mdf/somesuchguff (i think, anyway), and that coupled with the size probably isn't helping things, though obviously a better speaker should help a fair bit. have you tried it through a bigger cab?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not yet. I just got it Monday. I've also thought about swapping the cab for Weber's larger one to fit an Alnico speaker.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

oh does weber do a replacement cab? that might be worth considering (i'm guessing it's ply too, which'd be an improvement). EDIT: just, like most cheaper amps, you just wanna make sure you don't spend so much that you could just have bought a better amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

That's why I said I was thinking about modding it or swapping it down the line.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
gotta love those SHO clones. i have one with a master volume so you can get all that sexy sparkle without actually having to boost your signal at all. as a boost though it is amazing. i can't believe how much zvex sells them for though.
I set mine to just above unity and leave it on all the time. And I modded it to get the sparkle at lower boost levels. I kind of want to try a Super Duper 2 in 1 though. ZVex's prices are insane but the norm for the boutique world. I built mine for $40 and since he buys in bulk it's probably around the same after labor costs. Nice way to make money though. Not as bad as Landgraff selling the same circuit for $400 thogh.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

yeah that wiio doesn't like my meteor at all. For me, my amps sound really good. So I set them to sound the best. Then I turn on a pedal and **** them.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Great stuff! What's the SHO like? And HNGDx5, of course
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
It fattens up the tone a bit in the stock configuration. Lots of low end. It also adds this nice second order harmonic that I really like. I wouldn't buy one but for the price it costs to build one, it's pretty nice.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Nice. You said you paid $40 in parts? That's pretty good for such an expensive boutique piece of gear.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
It was $40.74 to be exact with all of the shipping charges for the parts. Most boutique pedals are only $40-$80 in parts and that's if you buy parts one at a time and get a pre drilled and powdercoated enclosure like I do. Stuff in bulk is cheap.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
It was $40.74 to be exact with all of the shipping charges for the parts. Most boutique pedals are only $40-$80 in parts and that's if you buy parts one at a time and get a pre drilled and powdercoated enclosure like I do. Stuff in bulk is cheap.

Well, most things are pretty cheap if you just buy the parts and assemble yourself. It's labor that's expensive, especially if you know what you're doing and can charge more . But I commend you for knowing how to do all this stuff yourself, I hope to start building pedals and amps over the summer.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Cool stuff. What schematic/layout did you use for the SHO? Link?

Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
^^The SHO is actually pretty simple. It took less than an hour. I just looked over the layout and schem to memorize them first so I didn't have to keep referencing them throughout the build. I'm gonna try a few more complicated builds in the coming weeks. I'll use perfboard again but I'll probably go to PCB once I get a drill to speed up the actual soldering process. Also, make sure you think out the box layout. I didn't really take any considerations when doing mine and it made things a bit harder than they should be. I'm building one for josephde here this next week and I'm gonna change the power jack and LED locations to make it easier and neater and I'll probably change the grounding layout I used.

^Layout http://www.freestompboxes.org/download/file.php?id=671
Schem http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schematics/Zvex_SHO.gif
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at May 21, 2010,
Quote by mmolteratx
I set mine to just above unity and leave it on all the time. And I modded it to get the sparkle at lower boost levels. I kind of want to try a Super Duper 2 in 1 though. ZVex's prices are insane but the norm for the boutique world. I built mine for $40 and since he buys in bulk it's probably around the same after labor costs. Nice way to make money though. Not as bad as Landgraff selling the same circuit for $400 thogh.

landgraff? that's the dudes who post religious stuff over the insides of their pedals?

makes sense to me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
great pedals

i'm thinking about getting an RMC in the near future
you are what you is
Page 1 of 2