I'm having trouble with playing different strumming rythnm's. I find myself starting out when writing something new in a slower strumm pattern but then i end up going back to the same pattern i always get caught into.

Is this perhaps because i don't have vocals help guide a particular song? /Shrug. Or does it even matter.... is it much different when you have a full band to give something the feel it SHOULD have.

Wondering if anyone has any tips on how to change it up a bit.
Quote by Tguk143
I'm having trouble with playing different strumming rythnm's. I find myself starting out when writing something new in a slower strumm pattern but then i end up going back to the same pattern i always get caught into.

Is this perhaps because i don't have vocals help guide a particular song? /Shrug. Or does it even matter.... is it much different when you have a full band to give something the feel it SHOULD have.

Wondering if anyone has any tips on how to change it up a bit.

It's definitely not a good thing that you seem to get locked into the same patterns whenever you're playing, the key question though is WHY are you getting locked into this one feel.

It's definitely something that needs to be practiced, even if you're playing everything else right if you can get the right feel with the strumming you'll end up ruining the feel of the whole song.

Have you tried learning other people's songs with a vastly different feel to the one you're used to playing all the time?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yep! I regularly learn a random new song every week. I hit shuffle on my itunes and thats the song i'll learn. I'll learn the song and really get into it, after which i feel pumped to write something new... then. I just run out of new and interesting ways to play a chord progression i come up with. So I basically default to my usual pattern, i'm starting to think this has something to do with being a chord fiend though. I usually make riffs and progressions separately... in different keys... that can't used together.

I want to be able to do both a chord progression and a hook or riff in the same key as to help curb the broken record which is my strumming.
Quote by Tguk143
Yep! I regularly learn a random new song every week. I hit shuffle on my itunes and thats the song i'll learn. I'll learn the song and really get into it, after which i feel pumped to write something new... then. I just run out of new and interesting ways to play a chord progression i come up with. So I basically default to my usual pattern, i'm starting to think this has something to do with being a chord fiend though. I usually make riffs and progressions separately... in different keys... that can't used together.

I want to be able to do both a chord progression and a hook or riff in the same key as to help curb the broken record which is my strumming.

Well try this: instead of just coming up with a progression or riff try thinking about the drumming that would go with it, the other instrumental parts, possibly the vocals, try and really get the feel of the whole song and play along with all that in your head, that should help you get more of a feeling for the whole song rather than just coming up with an isolated part.

If not try thinking of a mood and feel for the song first and write to that, if you have a feel in mind then you can cater to that rather than just falling back on what you know and are very comfortable with.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Good advice, i'm going to give it a whirl. Although, its going to be challenging keeping what i hear in my head to what my right hand is doing in unison. Looks like this is going to take some practice!
Quote by Tguk143
Good advice, i'm going to give it a whirl. Although, its going to be challenging keeping what i hear in my head to what my right hand is doing in unison. Looks like this is going to take some practice!

Everything takes practice dude, keep at it!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.