Poll: Is Merzbow music?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Merzbow music?
Yes
26 59%
No
18 41%
Voters: 44.
for the record, i enjoy what he does, but i dont really think its music. it's cool, and im sure it's a lot of fun to make, but i just dont think it qualifies as music.
He's making noise for the purpose of listening to.

Also there's a CD of merzbow playing with Sonic Youth and Mats Gustaffen and its ****ing rad!
Merzbow is very talented at making computer noises sound like they just put a mic inside a car and then sprayed it with a pressure washer at the carwash.

...but yes it's music. I don't know how but it is.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
... how?

I listened to the first one and enjoyed it. Therefore, it is music.

Edit: This guy has a ridiculous amount of albums.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at May 20, 2010,
No, it's not music, but they should come up with a term for it, cause it's really cool. Ambience maybe? I'm sure there's a better word out there. Like Thrungalon.
It lacks any form of pitch and/or rhythm. Therefore, it's sound, but not music.

Pretty sure that's why he calls himself a "noise artist"...
Quote by MapOfYourHead
I listened to the first one and enjoyed it. Therefore, it is music.

If you listen to something and you enjoy it, it's music? What kind of definition is that? Also, since when are definitions based on subjectivism? By your logic, the sound of cars on a motorway is music because I enjoy it, no matter what anyone else in the world says about it.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
Yes.

So he has a discography, which means it's music. Right? >.>
it's definitely music...
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Yes, it is music, but not music that I like. It was horribly atrocious to my ears.
Quote by ZeGuitarist
If you listen to something and you enjoy it, it's music? What kind of definition is that? Also, since when are definitions based on subjectivism? By your logic, the sound of cars on a motorway is music because I enjoy it, no matter what anyone else in the world says about it.

what if you're controlling the cars and recording them?

Then it can be music.

Quote by Tedward
what if you're controlling the cars and recording them?

Then it can be music.

... yeah, don't stretch it.
It's music. His tunes DO have a structure, whether or not it's apparent upon first listen. And he has conventional (but still difficult to listen to) rhythmic pieces.

Just because it sounds like the mating call of a tortured robot buffalo (in a good way) doesn't make it not music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJj-eMIulZY&feature=related

Favorite Merzbow song, second favorite album. If you like noise music, definitely check out Venereology.
Last edited by mental_zer0 at May 20, 2010,
Quote by ZeGuitarist
... yeah, don't stretch it.
That's what she said.

Ooooooh yeah.
Some guy posted this comment on one of his youtube videos

I listen to almost all kinds of music genres... rock, industrial, pop, electronic, prog, experimental, etc. My first encounter with Noise music was out of pure curiosity.. and my first toughts were: "what tha **** is this shit?"... but I like really hard stuff... and Noise is even harder than Metal or other music genres, and very difficult to listen...but when you get the idea and you get used to it then you learn to appreciate it and give it a value for what it is. It really takes some skills

So kids will be rebelliously blaring Merzbow in the future? Cool.
love is love // return to dust
Quote by ZeGuitarist

Music is based on subjectivism, which is why there is no real definition for it. Although you could say that because this guy has made a collection of sounds and packaged it for someone else to listen to, it's music to whoever buys it for listening purposes.

And If you enjoy the sound of cars on the motorway, I'll record some stuff, call it organic ambient and sell it to you.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at May 20, 2010,
it depends on your definition of music

Quote by Webster
Main Entry: mu·sic
Pronunciation: \ˈmyü-zik\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English musik, from Anglo-French musike, from Latin musica, from Greek mousikē any art presided over by the Muses, especially music, from feminine of mousikos of the Muses, from Mousa Muse
Date: 13th century

1 a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony
2 a : an agreeable sound : euphony <her voice was music to my ears> b : musical quality <the music of verse>
3 : a musical accompaniment <a play set to music>
4 : the score of a musical composition set down on paper

yup, merzbow is music.