Hey guys! Looking for a small tube amp that would fit into a backpack bag. All I really want is a single channel amp that is loud enough to do small gigs and rehearsals. Bought a super reverb and absolutley love it, but it's a major mission transporting it, even with a trolley.

I was looking at the pro junior, but not sure if it will be loud enough? Was also looking at the blues junior, but even that may be a bit big to carry in a backpack.

Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Backpack sized? My TT head could prolly fit in a backpack. And it comes with a convenient carrying case (it's not a purse, it's a satchel).
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Thanks. I don't think a head would be an option as I would also need to cart a cab around. I need something I can easily walk about with, or jump on a bus with, also carrying my guitar. Thanks for the suggestion though.
blackstar ht studio 20 combo?
Last edited by Kyose at May 20, 2010,
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Last edited by necrosis1193 at May 20, 2010,
the only thing loud enough that would fit in a backpack that i can think of is the zt lunchbox. but it's not tube.

tube heads yea, tiny terror, egnater tweaker, there are actually a bunch but.

if the pro jr isn't going to be loud enough i don't know what would be. the pro jr is 15 watts and very loud.
marshall class 5 maybe? its pretty small and tube, and when you crank it it gives a very nice drive. + its cheaper than the ones you were looking at.
epiphone valve junior turned into a marhsall 18watter?

just think about speakers. a 12 inch speaker is gonna need at least a 20-22 inch wide cab.
a 10 inch will want a 18-20
a 8 inch can get by with a 12

Something that's gonna fit in your backpack is gonna need a 6 inch or 8 inch speaker.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Last edited by AcousticMirror at May 20, 2010,
Thanks for all the answers guys. Would that vox mini cab thing work in conjunction with the pro jr? Or is there any other mini cabs that would? If so, that's revolutionary.

Also is the class 5 as loud as the pro jr, if anybody knows?

Thanks again, you have been most helpfull.
Acousticmirror, thanks, the pro jr is a 10 inch speaker and I'm pretty sure that would be backpackable, maybe it's a relativley small 10 inch speaker amp?
class 5 is 5 watts. pro jr is 15 watts. so the jr will stay clean a bit louder before it breaks up.

both are combos. what's the sense of plugging a pro jr to a cab if neither fit?
Hey gregs, I think the pro jr will fit, I was just more worried about the volume. I think it would even fit in a backpack with that mini cabinet, if they can work in conjunction with each other?
Most places I gig will have a PA, but most rehearsals wont and also informal jams etc wont. It would be great to have something loud enough standlone but also very portable. Thanks.
The new Mesa Transatlantic (TA-15, I think) looks quite small and sounds very good and promising (from clipz, haven't tested yet). Being Mesa though, I bet it's pretty expensive.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Hmmm the nano tube looks cool, but too small for my needs man. I will only have a PA sometimes.

Maybe the pro jr is my only option... Or with some mini cab. Does anyone know if that vox minicab works with amps other than the vox amplugs?
pro junior probably isn't a bad idea, if you need a speaker too. doesn't have a ton of headroom either, but will have a fair bit more than those 5 watters. chuck a couple of pedals into your bag, too, say and od and a distortion, i'd have thought that'd cover a fair range of stuff.

laney vc15? it's pretty small too, though it's a lot better value in the UK (and in the US the pro junior will be a lot better value). Only problem being, i personally thought the 30 watt version (which is a lot bigger) sounded a lot better.

anyway, in conclusion, if you're in the US, you might struggle to do much better than the pro junior, it's small and pretty loud. a better speaker would help with tone (and loudness/headroom if you get a more efficient one, which would be a good idea if volume is a problem). if you're in the UK the laney would be worth a look too. and if you have a bit more cash the laney'd be worth a look in the US, too. the laney is more british-voiced, the pro junior more US-voiced.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the advice dave. The laney looks pretty cool actually, but I think the pro jr is more what I'm after tonewise, even though I am in the UK.

Thanks very much for all advice guys, seems the pro jr prevails, for me.

If anybody comes up with any suggestions please still add your input, as I wont be buying the pro for a couple of days. Also if anyone can give me info on any mini speaker cabs, that would be great too.

Thanks all!
ZT Lunchbox.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
just to throw you another option, if you're in the UK, and would prefer a pro junior: from what I'm hearing, the Fame GTA 15 is a direct clone of a Fender Pro Junior with better-quality parts, and for less money. It's sold by Musicstore in Cologne in Germany. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth considering (they have free postage to the UK for everything over 200 euro, though you'd need to check what happens if something goes wrong, and also you'd need to use your own power lead or an adaptor, as the plugs are a different size in Germany).

I'm not sure what size it is compared to the pro junior, though, it might be bigger (or it might not), which would kinda defeat the purpose.

A laney LC15 or LC15R might also be worth considering, it has a much more american-style tone than the vc15 (though I wasn't too fussed on the lc15 i tried, i much preferred the vc15).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 20, 2010,
Thanks again Dave, the fame amp looks interesting. Seems to be a pro jr without the added brand name cost, I shall do some investigating. It's also pretty much the same size as the pro jr. Thanks.
If you won't be mic'd for practice it'd be worth putting the amp up high, won't make it louder as such but it's pointed more at your ears so it'll appear louder in the mix.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

traynor dark horse + a small 12 inch cab?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by DanielShaw123
Thanks again Dave, the fame amp looks interesting. Seems to be a pro jr without the added brand name cost, I shall do some investigating. It's also pretty much the same size as the pro jr. Thanks.

no problem, bear in mind that i haven't tried it so i don't know what it's like. i only noticed it recently, and was half-thinking of one myself (or the 40 watt version). but i might chicken out

EDIT: there's some info about them on french, dutch and german guitar forums. also some on the tele forum (tdpri? something like that). and i think they're made by yerasov so if you do a google search also search using the yerasov name.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 21, 2010,