I'm hoping to get some new gear soon and this has popped up on the list; a Fender Jaguar HH and a Gibson Les Paul Studio in Black w/ Gold Hardware and a Gibson Les Paul Studio Raw Power.

Gibson Les Paul Studio Raw Power £799.99/$1,050 - Has anyone actually tried playing the Les Paul Raw Power? Admittedly, I've not tried playing it as it's relatively hard to find and after listening to YouTube videos it produces a decent sound, but I don't think it really withholds the same sound as higher end Gibson's, but this could just be me. I'm interested in it because of it's Maple Fretboard, I'm quite a fan of Maple Fretboards, but personally, I think the guitar itself looks really cheap and plastic and the natural finish is pretty ugly too.

Gibson Les Paul Studio £1000/$1,400 (I'll probably go for something used, so around £600/$850) - I've played an '07 Gibson Les Paul Studio. It sounded amazing. Although, I slightly struggled with playing it, although, I get this with a lot of guitars I play, I somewhat find a way to adapt to it later on though. The sound is really rich, but I once tried the exact same guitar but it was a '92 a few months ago, although shabbier in appearance, the sound was better from my memory. This could just be a shady memory or the amp I was using - if this isn't a coincidence, could somebody explain to me why, I might go for an earlier model if so. The sound is still brilliant though.

Fender Jaguar HH £599 - This is one of the first guitars I've ever felt completely comfortable with. It feels brilliant. The tone is pretty good to, it's very accessible and enables me to make alternations to the sound without hesitation. I absolutely love the feel and the unique sound of it. Alas, although the cheapest, I won't really have much use for it's cool features due to me doing predominantly rhythm guitar/vocals, so I'm most likely playing a series of chords through out the song. I alternated my style of guitar playing as I progressed and learned, so I have no use whatsoever for shredding, tap soloing, sweep picking, all the crap I used to do when I first started playing. It's very affordable too and I personally think it looks better than the Les Paul. But despite the Jaguar having a perfect sound for the genre I play, I think the Gibson Les Paul Studio has a better sound in general but is less comfortable.

What should I do? Also, I'm freely open to suggestions, but please make it realistic. Also, I am on a very tight budget, so I'd say don't exceed £800 ($1400). I also play Indie Rock (Post-Punk Revival).

Like I said, I welcome suggestions. I think I'm being a bit narrow minded under terms of branding, although, I've not really seen other brands which can reach my specific requirements. I'll consider Hollow Body guitars as they quite frankly look awesome in my opinion. Thanks for the help.
Quote by J.Simpson
I'm hoping to get some new gear soon and this has popped up on the list; a Fender Jaguar HH and a Gibson Les Paul Studio in Black w/ Gold Hardware and a Gibson Les Paul Studio Raw Power.

Gibson Les Paul Studio Raw Power £799.99/$1,050 - Has anyone actually tried playing the Les Paul Raw Power? Admittedly, I've not tried playing it as it's relatively hard to find and after listening to YouTube videos it produces a decent sound, but I don't think it really withholds the same sound as higher end Gibson's, but this could just be me. I'm interested in it because of it's Maple Fretboard, I'm quite a fan of Maple Fretboards, but personally, I think the guitar itself looks really cheap and plastic and the natural finish is pretty ugly too.

Gibson Les Paul Studio £1000/$1,400 (I'll probably go for something used, so around £600/$850) - I've played an '07 Gibson Les Paul Studio. It sounded amazing. Although, I slightly struggled with playing it, although, I get this with a lot of guitars I play, I somewhat find a way to adapt to it later on though. The sound is really rich, but I once tried the exact same guitar but it was a '92 a few months ago, although shabbier in appearance, the sound was better from my memory. This could just be a shady memory or the amp I was using - if this isn't a coincidence, could somebody explain to me why, I might go for an earlier model if so. The sound is still brilliant though.

Fender Jaguar HH £599 - This is one of the first guitars I've ever felt completely comfortable with. It feels brilliant. The tone is pretty good to, it's very accessible and enables me to make alternations to the sound without hesitation. I absolutely love the feel and the unique sound of it. Alas, although the cheapest, I won't really have much use for it's cool features due to me doing predominantly rhythm guitar/vocals, so I'm most likely playing a series of chords through out the song. I alternated my style of guitar playing as I progressed and learned, so I have no use whatsoever for shredding, tap soloing, sweep picking, all the crap I used to do when I first started playing. It's very affordable too and I personally think it looks better than the Les Paul. But despite the Jaguar having a perfect sound for the genre I play, I think the Gibson Les Paul Studio has a better sound in general but is less comfortable.

What should I do? Also, I'm freely open to suggestions, but please make it realistic. Also, I am on a very tight budget, so I'd say don't exceed £800 ($1400). I also play Indie Rock (Post-Punk Revival).

Like I said, I welcome suggestions. I think I'm being a bit narrow minded under terms of branding, although, I've not really seen other brands which can reach my specific requirements. I'll consider Hollow Body guitars as they quite frankly look awesome in my opinion. Thanks for the help.

i'd go for the jag from what you described
Yes, it feels great, although I'm just slightly concerned about the tone, it's not as 'full' as the Les Paul.
If you're uncomfortable with it now I'm not sure how well you could adjust to it. It's not impossible, but it's hard. I've played on my SG for a few years now and honestly the neck too big. (I just didn't realize it when I was a n00b and buying it)
I played a Jackson Soloist recently with a much flatter neck and it was so comfortable for me it was ridiculous.

I think you should go for the Jag because for me tone is as important as feel. What's the point of having a great tone if you feel like your thumb is going to fall off after playing for a certain amount of time (slight exaggeration lol)
are you sure single coils might not be better for indie? or is it post-punk revival? what does that even mean?

anyway, teles are used a fair bit in indie. Maybe look into one of those new MIJ tokai breezysounds? They're around the £600 mark. In addition to Fenders, I mean.

If you want a LP I'd also consider tokai, in addition to gibson, if you're pretty easy on colour you can pick up a new one for about £600 from rich tone music.

p90s might also be worth considering as a kind of halfway house between humbuckers and fender-style single coils.

EDIT: if you've tried the jaguar and that's the one you like the best, by all means go for it. a better guitar which suits you less well is normally a worse buy, kind of thing.

EDIT #2: if you find LPs too uncomfortable, an SG or a doublecut Les Paul Special or Junior (for the p90 thing I was mentioning) should be a lot more comfortable, and will get you into the ballpark of Gibson tone. Again, in addition to Gibson, Tokai makes Japanese-made models which should be well under budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 20, 2010,