Hi everyone! I'm new to the whole guitar world, and I recently decided to purchase a Seagull Maritime because of the good reviews and affordable price. But I am worried about the wider neck because I have pretty small, female hands. I won't be able to play the guitar before I buy it online because I literally live in the middle-of-nowhere and there are no guitar shops around. Will the wider nut width be a huge problem for me? Thanks!!!
The best thing you could do is play a guitar with a wide neck and see for yourself. Although, if your hands were that small it might be uncomfortable at first with some chords.
I'm Like a Super Hero Without Any Powers or Motivation.
if you already play, chances are that once your hand muscles adjust to the wider neck, you'll love it. otherwise, there's no reason even a very small handed person can't play a wider neck. i'm 5' 3" with small hands, and i loved playing my seagull original s6. it was much better for fingerpicking or for some kinds of fast playing where a little extra space gives you some leeway. 1.8" just isn't that big - i learned when i was a kid under 4'10" on a full sized classical with an even wider neck. just give yourself a chance to adjust to it. it's not about the size - just what you're used to.

on the other hand, you can play it safe by buying from a place with a liberal return policy. that way, if it doesn't work out for you, you can exchange it for another guitar.

btw, are you looking at one of the old maritimes or an SWS?
Hey patticake, I'm trying to buy an SWS. I really wanted an all solid wood guitar so that it would age nicely because who knows when I'll be able to afford another guitar! Thanks for all the responses!
Quote by patticake
if you already play, chances are that once your hand muscles adjust to the wider neck, you'll love it. otherwise, there's no reason even a very small handed person can't play a wider neck. i'm 5' 3" with small hands, and i loved playing my seagull original s6. it was much better for fingerpicking or for some kinds of fast playing where a little extra space gives you some leeway. 1.8" just isn't that big - i learned when i was a kid under 4'10" on a full sized classical with an even wider neck. just give yourself a chance to adjust to it. it's not about the size - just what you're used to.

Holy hell. That's what she said.

I've seen some particularly small-handed people play normal guitars. You'll be just fine.
You should be fine. I have very short, stubby fingers and still find the Seagull to be quite comfortable. Personally, I think wider necks are better for learning. It forces you to stretch that little bit more and work that extra bit harder. When you switch onto a smaller nut guitar, you'll find it easy to get your fingers in the right position.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I have pretty small hands too and a pretty wide necked guitar, but as has been said, a little stretch helps you learn.

Besides, this girl seems to have no problems.

Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
*LOL* at skeet!

i do agree that wider necks are better for learning on, not because of the stretching, but because your fingers don't have to be as exact on the neck.

Quote by LibraHarmony
Hey patticake, I'm trying to buy an SWS. I really wanted an all solid wood guitar so that it would age nicely because who knows when I'll be able to afford another guitar! Thanks for all the responses!

they sound better out of the box, not just as they age. which one are you considering? i find the folk and the mini jumbo are a bit more comfortable than the dread, but of course the dread has a bigger open sound. they all sound great, though, but each one has a different voice. i like the sound of all of them, although i find the mini jumbo sounds better to the audience than the player - not saying it sounds bad to the player, but the bass response is stronger from in front or if you have a sound port cut.
Haha Skeet! Guess I should have no problems at all

I'm getting the dread because I found it for $357 on Kennelly Keys Music and priced matched it at Musician's Friend for the same price! I'm so happy I did it right away because now they's sold out on Kennelly Kenys.
Last edited by LibraHarmony at May 21, 2010,
you found the SWS dread for $357? that's pretty good. did you get the gloss or the semi gloss?

Quote by LibraHarmony
Haha Skeet! Guess I should have no problems at all

I'm getting the dread because I found it for $357 on Kennelly Keys Music and priced matched it at Musician's Friend for the same price! I'm so happy I did it right away because now they's sold out on Kennelly Kenys.