Page 1 of 2
im trying to build chest muscle like pex or whatever you call them. the only way i know of it by pullups but i dont want to do those, is there like a less extremem exercise to start with?

i dont want huge muscles (well eventually but not right now) but i want to look something like this:

thanks
Push ups? Benching?

There's a ton of stuff, go check out the exercise thread, they'll know a lot more.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by lzcougarz3
can't you just get the surgery, buy the guitar, be a douche, etc?

i didnt mean i wanted to look EXACTLY like paul gilbert. notice how his chest musclesare noticeable but not huge? i want somethin kinda like that
If you know that pull ups will work but you don't want to do them, then you must not really want to get in shape. If you want something you gotta be willing to work for it.
PUSHUPS

Alot of them.....DROP AND GIVE ME 50!!!!!
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
Benching and pushups are two pretty common ones.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by Thrill-house
If you know that pull ups will work but you don't want to do them, then you must not really want to get in shape. If you want something you gotta be willing to work for it.

i cant do them, im trying to take baby steps.

also i have been taking your advice for pushups and ive been doing 10 and then stop and wait 1 minute and do another 10 and ive been doing this for about 10 minutes now. my arms can barley push myself back up at this point. im gona be sore in the morning there anything else besides pushups and pullups? im feeling pushups mostly in my arms.
benches and pushups, i'd go for pushups though, you end with more stamina, so you can actually use your muscles, assuming you want to use them and you're not falling victim to vanity lol
Quote by thrashaholic666

also i have been taking your advice for pushups and ive been doing 10 and then stop and wait 1 minute and do another 10 and ive been doing this for about 10 minutes now. my arms can barley push myself back up at this point. im gona be sore in the morning there anything else besides pushups and pullups? im feeling pushups mostly in my arms.

bro you don't need to be doing 100 pushups a day when you're just starting out.
Well if you dont want to look outta balance then i suggest working on your chest, abs, triceps, biceps. For example i do stuff like this for about 45 min. a day.

Ill do as many pushups as i can. and do 3 sets of tht
Same with pullups. and if you can't do a pullup do negative. (search it on google)
and then on day 2 I do chinups and dips. and i alternate between those two days.
My Fav Guitarists
1) Jimi Hendrix
2) Stevie Ray Vaughan
3) Eric Clapton
4) Joe Satriani
5) Slash -If you see this slash PM me

"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel" - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by thrashaholic666

Ok then, sorry if I came off a bit harsh but you didn't say that you could not do them, you just said you didn't want to. As far as push ups just do 3 sets of 10 with 60 seconds in between sets to start out, also make sure you're doing them correctly. If you want I can link you to some pretty decent videos to help you out.
Quote by lzcougarz3

i want results within a motnh-a month and a half though

im willing to do whatver it takes to get results, i have a lot fo time when im come home from school.
Once you've built up some more arm strength by doing pushups (10 in a row is nowhere near enough - I'd say about 30), make a triangle with the thumbs and index fingers on both hands and put your hands on the floor, and put the rest of your body into the regular pushup position. Then do pushups and aim to put your face inside the hand triangle (you don't have to actually do it, just fairly close).

Quote by thrashaholic666

You'll drastically improve the amount of pushups you can do in that amount of time if you do it properly, but you won't notice any significant changes in appearance.
Last edited by Ninja Vampirate at May 20, 2010,
Quote by thrashaholic666

im willing to do whatver it takes to get results, i have a lot fo time when im come home from school.

Steroids.

But seriously, check out the body, nutrition and exercise thread (Exercise )

From what I've read in there, those guys know their shit and if they don't, they certainly know some good sources that really know in depth shit on the subject.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
High weight, low reps. I'd say benching, but pushups are okay if you don't have the right equipment.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

to be honest, pull ups will do next to nothing for chest. push ups or bench press will.[ull ups will work mainly biceps and back( mainly lats)
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Quote by moulpatr
to be honest, pull ups will do next to nothing for chest.

You're not doing them right?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
You're not doing them right?

no you must be doing them wrong. while depending on the body angle your chest may help a tiny tiny tiny bit, your chest will not get noticeably bigger by just doing pull ups.
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby
push ups and bench press will help build your chest muscles, but if you want to look like that you'll also want eliminate excess body fat. You'll want to do some sort of cardiovascular exercises.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by psychokiller99
push ups and bench press will help build your chest muscles, but if you want to look like that you'll also want eliminate excess body fat. You'll want to do some sort of cardiovascular exercises.

Swimming. Shit cuts you down quick
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Swimming. Shit cuts you down quick

This.

It also uses just about every muscle in your body.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
I do dumbbell flyes, sometime inclined to work on my pectorals. It works pretty well and is simple.
Bench press, dumbell press, incline press, decline press, pec deck (Its a machine you'll find at any gym.)

I don't know who told you to do pull ups, but maybe you shouldn't listen to them next time.
Pull-ups definitely =/= chest. I lift at least 4 times a week, alternating muscles every time. You don't want to only hit one muscle. Working out sucks, but if you want to get in shape, look and feel better, you just have to do it. Here are some great pec workouts, start slow and build up. Don't be afraid to start at a low, low weight, you gotta start somewhere.

Pec flies - either with cables or dumbells
Push-ups
Deep dips
Bench press
Incline Press
Quote by mindup
Pull-ups definitely =/= chest. I lift at least 4 times a week, alternating muscles every time. You don't want to only hit one muscle. Working out sucks, but if you want to get in shape, look and feel better, you just have to do it. Here are some great pec workouts, start slow and build up. Don't be afraid to start at a low, low weight, you gotta start somewhere.

Pec flies - either with cables or dumbells
Push-ups
Deep dips
Bench press
Incline Press

What are flies?

And I thought dips were for triceps, unless deep dips are different somehow.
Bench press, inclined pushups, and eat lots of beef

and is that Paul Gilbert? I always thought he was a super skinny guy :O
you're pretty much trying your hardest to look like Paul Gilbert aren't you? I'm pretty sure it was you who posted that thread about getting his hair. There's only one way...

...you must drink his blood
Like David Gilmour?

Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Vox VT15
Alvarez Acoustic
Dunlop Jazz III Picks
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Take your pants off and swing your wiener around in circles.
You can try just jogging. My gym teachers made us do 30 suicides from one end of the gym to the other. Then 25 push-ups and 50 sit-ups. It was hell but doable and my chest got some muscle after that.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

lol pullups work your back and biceps. do pushups, bench press, dumbbell bench press (Decline and incline also) dumbbell flys, theres lots of workouts for chest, go to bodybuilding com and check out the stuff there.
I work out regularly, and once again pullups do NOT work your chest at ALL.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by KennySG at May 20, 2010,
You can try just jogging. My gym teachers made us do 30 suicides from one end of the gym to the other. Then 25 push-ups and 50 sit-ups. It was hell but doable and my chest got some muscle after that.
thats more cause youre exhausted from the high intensity running. so doing a simple 25 push-ups afterwards becomes alot harder that doing 25 push-ups any other time. therefore, after doing it for awhile youll begin to slowly develop.

to ts: also, dont forget to work your core out as well. not only will the look compliment each other, having a stronger core will help make the rest of your body stronger (as you generate a portion of your power from your core muscles).
Last edited by jettzypher at May 21, 2010,
Quote by lzcougarz3

yeah it's more like 1000 jks

He looks very skinny . Are you super skinny and looking to put on a bit of weight or are you a bit overweight? Eating for me is the most important thing just incorporate lots of meat, milk, eggs, tuna etc into your diet and get a bit of a workout goin'
someone told me its either pull ups or chinups that are supposed to be rly good for your chest.

also what are some good core workouts besides planks?
Last edited by thrashaholic666 at May 21, 2010,
Do 100 pushups today. It doesn't matter how long you take. Just do 100. Repeat for a week. Report back after a week
Page 1 of 2