I was really planning to wait until I finished completing my new rig, but I'm just too F'n giddy so I had to post the NAD. After a month of waiting, my Mark V 112 combo arrived this week!! The pics first, and then I'll give a long review that you'll probably not feel like reading

and finally one with my favorite guitar

Okay...so where to start. I wasnt happy with my 6505+ 112, and versatility is always the thing I end up wishing I had, so I've been gassing over a Mark V for over a year now. I play everything. Clean pop, dark brutalz, blues....and the Mark seemed perfect for it all. I ordered this from sweetwater without trying, which is ridiculous for a $2k amp, but I just couldnt fine one in a local store to try.

The Quality: I wanted to start here, because I truly am astonished at the quality and care that obviously went into this amp. Its hard to describe, but compared to every other amp I've touched the quality of this thing is noticeably better than all of them. This is my first Mesa so I'm sure this comes as no surprise to other Mesa owners, but holy F. The reverb unit is wrapped in a huge cover and bolted down, the tubes were wrapped in bubble wrap, the footswitch was bolted to the back cover of the amp, the paperwork and manual come in a nice sleeve, the tolex, knobs, connections, footswitch, all of it feels incredibly high quality.

The tones: I was extremely intimidated at first with how many options were on this thing. I knew it was coming, and figured I could tackle it, but it still takes you by surprise. After I read the manual and focused for a bit on knob tweaking I was off and running though.

Clean channel: This channel is simply put amazing. It doesnt matter what settings really, you can't go wrong. Its absolutely beautiful from pristine clean to slightly chunky blues breakup. The fat mode is my favorite as its the perfect combination of a slight amount of gain yet still pristine and shimmering. My buddy loves the blues and had the tweed setting sounding awesome, but overall I like fat mode, 90W with gain about halfway and master around 9 oclock.

Channel 2: This channel is so versatile its sick. Anywhere from a slight extension of tweed CH1 to full out metal rhythm. This channel you have to watch the bass control I've noticed as it can sound very flubby if you get it too high, and overall takes much more tweaking than the clean channel, but its so versatile. I have spent the least time with this channel.

Channel 3: I havent spent much time tweaking this one either, because I setup Mark IV mode per the high gain suggestion in the manual and simply can't leave it. This channel to me sounds more brutal than my 6505+ 112 did, and overall has so much more USEABLE gain. I am actually thinking of selling my Maxon OD808 because you simply don't need it with this amp. Also, I had read a few reviews that claimed the high gain channel on this amp was "nerfed" compared with a Mark IV and I have to wholeheartedly disagree. It is definitely a tad different, but even with an open back combo this is just a sick monster of Br00ooTalz. I still have tons of tweaking to do though with Mark IIC+ and Extreme modes, but I can hear the potential.

Overall: Another surprising thing to me is how awesome this amp sounds at quiet volumes ON THE 90W SETTINGS. I was pulled to this amp a lot by the 45W and 10W modes, but I'm finding quickly I really don't need them as you can dial fantastic tones just by mastering the volume controls. The 45W and 10W just sound different and great in their own way and lead to more power tube breakup. I'm super happy with the speaker in this amp too, and now realize just how crap the sheffield was in my 6505 (although I realize the amp has a lot to do with that as well). Another thing I have found is the settings on this amp are a lot different sometimes than a typical amp without a Graphic EQ. Preamp bass rarely needs to go above 11 or 12 oclock or it sounds tubby, if you are using the classic V curve. I can see how a lot of newbies to a graphic EQ could make these amps sound like trash without adjusting how you tweak the EQ.

I've dropped over $10k in gear in the last 3 years trying and selling off gear. This is the single one and only item I have ever purchased that I havent had the slightest bit of regret or little voice wondering if maybe I went in the wrong direction. This is my amp for the next 20+ years as far as I'm concerned. Only thing I may do in the future is add an extension cab if I get a larger house. This amp is all its cracked up to be.
I hate you, your house, your dog (even if you don't have a dog), and basically everything in your life ever. Why? Because you have a MARK-FREAKING-V and I have a crappy Bugera V5.

HNAD! Also, CLIPS!
happy new boogie day!!
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Quote by phlip999
I hate you, your house, your dog (even if you don't have a dog), and basically everything in your life ever. Why? Because you have a MARK-FREAKING-V and I have a crappy Bugera V5.

HNAD! Also, CLIPS!

Keep the dream man, and save save save! It is worth every penny!

Sorry no Clips though ; ( I don't have any recording equipment (That is my next area of exploration!)
:O ....Wow, and I thought my Mesa Rectoverb was beautiful....great choice man
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
HNAD! That's an awesome amp. Damn. just
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
One thing that irks me about a lot of discussions on Boogies that I see on other boards is that people say they aren't high quality and the build quality doesn't stand up to some boutique brands. A bunch of snobs say that since they make and sell so many amps they can't be considered boutique or high quality but the fact is they're extremely well built and made to last in a touring situation. And they sound great on top of it. Maybe you aren't getting any of those Robben Ford tones but who needs those unless they're playing in their living room all day?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at May 20, 2010,
Try this:

Channel 2:
Crunch
Gain all the way up
V GEQ Engaged
EQ to taste

You won't like the lead channel anymore
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Try this:

Channel 2:
Crunch
Gain all the way up
V GEQ Engaged
EQ to taste

You won't like the lead channel anymore

Holy crap! That's like....rhythm bliss!!! See I'm just still not used to the idea that you can actually put the gain all the way up and still have completely useable tone. God I love this thing
I was saving up for one of the new Triple Rectifiers, until i looked into this more heavily. I play death metal, but when im not with my other guitarist, i dabble in everything. I know this will provide my blues/clean/rock playing, but you agree that it really brings teh BR00TZ?

HNBoogieD!
Joe Satriani isn't a man, but a god.
Sweet........on my list of amps to own. Congratz
Gotta admit, I'm jealous.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
congrats man, i want one soooo badly...
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
When I got my Mark V head two months ago I forgot to post a NAD =( But oh wells. This amp never lets me down. Somedays I play and I think it sounds normal, not bad but nothing super awesome, just normally sweet. While on other days I find MONSTER tone. I noticed you have to get the master volume around 9-10 o'clock at least for it to start getting awesome, but Its still great below that too. If you want to try something cool, turn each channel to 10 and CRANK the output between noon and MAX. It can get decently loud, but you will experience pure power tube saturation. I usually roll the gain back a lot when doing this. EQing it is a little different but Its great, try it sometime.

A few weekends ago I took my Mark V and my 4x12 cab out in the country and cranked 90w FULL volume, just for fun. It was damn loud, but pretty sweet! I think cranking a High gain amp to max isnt as great as its sweet spot though, I have yet to find that.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
lucky!
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Happy nad! i kind of regret selling mine now lol
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred

You had a V?

HNAD! They look (and sound) incredible, I'd love to get one but they are really expensive in Australia. I'm happy with my IV anyway

Quote by littlephil
You had a V?

HNAD! They look (and sound) incredible, I'd love to get one but they are really expensive in Australia. I'm happy with my IV anyway

yup. i think i was one of the first to have one on UG. i had it march 2009-july2009. sold it for pgm and j custom funds
Quote by BarbaricJethro
I know this will provide my blues/clean/rock playing, but you agree that it really brings teh BR00TZ?

HNBoogieD!

Yes, there is absolutely no question it will bring teh BROOTZ!

RocknRory: You can always do a NAD ; ) I remember reading about yours though....you helped me out answering some questions about combo vs. head. Overall I'm very happy I went the combo route (although I have no doubt the head is every bit as awesome) because I'm just playing in my house for now. I feel like I can crank the gain and volume knobs a bit more without the volume becoming too much. Overall I've been leaving the master output around 9 o'clock. I havent even begun to explore this at really high volumes.

Quote by mexican_shred

You can always buy another one
Quote by GuitarDTO

He just bought a different amp last night
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
how do you know?

... oh.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

he posted in the wtlt. got a nice white head.

congrats on teh Mark V TS.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

Well, I knew well before that. I was one of the ones that told him to get it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
OMFG I hate you, you ****ing prick!!!

I want a mesa

Sell Swamp Ash Special?

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by GuitarDTO

If it was cheaper by like 300 bucks i'd be all over it. Srsrly the rh2 channel on there is pure sex as is the clean. i hated the lead channel though, but i had a mark iv so i was content. After i sold it, i used the rh2 on the mark IV alot with od9 and ocd to make up for lack of "balls". rh2 and rh1 is all you should play on

Others:QUIT TALKING ABOUT MEEEEEE!!!!!!!1111oneoneoneoneelevnelenv

Question, when I have the same settings on mark IV mode and then click over to Extreme mode, I definitely notice an increase in volume but seemingly a small decrease in gain. The manual says extreme mode has more gain though, although it describes a lot of differences and talks about how Extreme mode can be used for lower gain settings as well and retains its "chording" capability even at higher gain settings. I'm just curious if others notice this perception of less gain than Mark IV mode. Mark IV mode sounds more harsh and raw to me (which I actually like)
Quote by gregs1020

oh oh, i just figured mc sold juarez one
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Way jealous. Amazing.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by phlip999

HNAD! Also, CLIPS!

This. Except I only have a Peavey Rage. And it's borrowed.

Happy freaking nad.

The manual that came with this amp is amazing. It's been invaluable. Example: Mark IV mode (and really all of the higher gain settings). It recommends that if high gain is your desire, then you really should use high output pickups (duh), but it also goes on that if you want to explore high gain with lower output pickups or more vintage sounding pickups, that you may need to roll the treble and presence back substantially to keep it focused and pure. I had no clue about this, but surely enough, with my Les Paul when I rolled the presence and treble back to ~9-10 o'clock and had the gain cranked, all of the fizz and buzz goes away completely. Tons of fun learning to dial this thing.....
I love you and hate you at the same time, really want loads of mesa's now :P
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus