My Gear
Fender Blues Junior
MJM London Fuzz
MXR GT-OD
Fender Highway One HSS Stratocaster
I play blues i.e. SRV

I don't like what I'm getting from the Strat. I find it too muddy and I dislike the jumbo frets.
What would be a good choice for a new Stratocaster ? I would probably sell this one for ~250.00 and could pay 500.00 from my pocket. Since I'm Canadian, about 600.00 US.

I will go try some out tomorrow night, still don't know if I want a maple or rosewood neck.
If you haven't played the Classic Vibe Squiers, then I suggest you do that ASAP
i bought a better than average used mexican strat and modded it out and its awesome. after the addition of locking tuners, graphtech saddles, a hipshot tremsetter, and true velvet (neck and middle) and a FRED in the bridge (both dimarzio) and a coil tap for the bucker i would say it compares favorably to a deluxe with half the investment. the only downfall is that the guitar is only worth a bit more than it was stock and it wont hold and eventually gain value like an american made strat will. oh and i recommend the maple neck because it gives it a little extra brightness and a more spanky attack.
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at May 20, 2010,
check out warmoth.com build your own strat to your own specs with all fender liscensed parts
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Maybe you might want to look into finding a different amp or maybe try out a different pickup. Changing pickup height might help as well? After playing a rosewood and maple neck, I think I like the maple neck better. Looks better too. Stevie Ray Vaughan had a very complex rig that was really the center of his sound. Maybe you should look at amplifiers as well.
i dont see the point in trading a strat for a strat. try changing out the pickups, and getting a refret. seems like that would be the most logical option, and cheaper too.
What pickups would you suggest me ?
I really like the sound of the John Mayer Signature Stratocaster. The thing is, after changing the pickups and the neck, it might cost me just as much.
I'm not handy at all and won't do it myself for any reason.
Here's some updates.

I could get a MIM Standard Stratocaster / Sunburst and Maple for $100.00.
OR
I could modify my H1 Strat over time with a Maple neck, Tex Mex Pickups and other parts.

Is my "American body" worth modifying it and not get a MIM Strat ?
If you can get along with the jumbo frets then I would just change the pickups. If you're ok with SSS strats look at the Classic Player series. I've got the 50s one and absolutely love it.

Getting a MIM for $100? If it's in decent condition I'd say that. At that price you could swap out the pickups and upgradet the hardware. Make sure you like the neck I wouldn't suggest changing out the neck, at that point you may as well have gotten a new guitar.
Look into new pickups and possibly a new speaker for the Blues Junior. Or a new amp.

Duncan SSL-1 pups are a place to start when you want to upgrade. Their tone is clear and reasonably versatile, and they're only 150 new for a set of three.
Yeah I'd trade in my current Strat for that $100.00 MIM Strat.
The thing is... The finish is really ugly on my H1... It's kinda of a rubbery wine red. Hate it.
Still don't know if I want a rosewood. I don't really like the Mexican rosewoods, the Maples are decent though.

The sound I have in my head !

This is what I'm looking for.
What about new pickups and a relic job ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think I could get use to Jumbo Frets as long that I get the sound I want.
How about a a highway one fat strat??? They have both single and double coil pick ups?? this would increae your playing versatility.

ron666
Quote by pickleweed
i dont see the point in trading a strat for a strat. try changing out the pickups, and getting a refret. seems like that would be the most logical option, and cheaper too.

It's not worth refretting a h1 neck, you might as well just buy a new neck and sell the old one and get some new pickups. As for the paint, I would just shoot some nitro from reranch and wala... new guitar. EDIT: Not that there's anything wrong with a HW1 neck, but for the cost of a refret, I'd just buy a new neck and get exactly what I want.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at May 22, 2010,
maybe look into a G&L Tribute Legacy HB (if you want humbuckers) or S500 (3 single coils, a bit better overall than the legacy). my experience suggests that G&L's, even the korean made (by cort) Tributes, tend to play circles arount similarily priced fenders. definately worth a look as they are priced at a point where you might not even need to sell your guitars

ps, with the CAD being almost equal to the USD right now, some companies (such as G&L...) are offering corrected prices to their dealers. thus, you can get more guitar for your money! failing american economy= new guitar stuff for canucks!
Quote by ron666
How about a a highway one fat strat??? They have both single and double coil pick ups?? this would increae your playing versatility.

ron666

/slap

i would suggest a mim 60s strat
Your guitar should be able to sound close to that. If you don't like the neck that's one thing, but you should probably be more concerned with your amp/amp settings in your chase to find the right sound. Play a couple other guitars and maybe you'll find a better neck, but through that amp it's not gonna sound all that different unless you play them side by side.