Page 1 of 2
So between watching The History Channel and looking into studying physics in college a question came upon me:

How are we going to ensure that these radioactive isotopes will decay without harming mankind, other living creatures and the environment when some take hundreds of thousands, even millions of years to decay?

After reading a little what scientists have suggested there seems almost no fail-proof guranteed way of storing it. One suggestion for short-term decaying isotopes was to store in salt deposits that would eventually crush and all it to decay. But is that a gurantee that it won't spread up through the salt and into water deposits?

What did sound almost convenient was launching waste out into space, but how do you track containers of radioactive waste for a million years in space and ensure that it doesn't somehow fall back or spread throughout earth's atmosphere?

Sorry if i sound like a babbling idiot because all i know of these subjects is what i've learned through t.v. and internet. Shouldn't these subjects be taught to high school students and how f*cked our radioactive waste situation is? I just think this should be a more widely known and talked about subject on the global scale because as a high school student i haven't heard of what they do with nuclear waste until now.

Once again forgive me if i'm an idiot and if you could please clearify to me how we can deal with the world's nuclear waste without it harming living organisms and the environment

Tl;dr: How the **** do we get rid of radioactive waste without it polluting earth's water or harming living organisms including humans?
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Last edited by vicarious46 at May 20, 2010,
Tl;dr Toxic waste doesn't make you superman :/

you're a dream crusher TS
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
too long, no tl;dr

either way,

google water insulation for nuclear waste, not very hard to understand
/thread
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
we make a giant beer bottle and put it in that and send it to africa

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Dirge Humani
And worse case scenario, the water on Earth becomes radioactive, and we all turn into superheroes! Hooray!

The thought of using water, drinkable or not in it's current state to store nuclear waste sounds like a horrible idea espicially when we have to store some of it for a million or so years before its no longer harmful
Quote by ErikLensherr

C4C

VOTE
Quote by vicarious46
The thought of using water, drinkable or not in it's current state to store nuclear waste sounds like a horrible idea espicially when we have to store some of it for a million or so years before its no longer harmful

But dude...superpowers...
Nuclear warfare/waste is going to ruin the world. Humans can't even stop an oil spill. It's quite sad to be honest.
We don't graduate high school knowing how to file income taxes or how to use reinforcement and punishment as parents and you're worried about teaching kids nuclear waste storage? Wat.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Dirge Humani
I do. I took an accounting class

I didn't even have the option

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

we were just talking about this in chemistry today. The most logical solution which im sure they have tried is to just reverse the reactions. so if they decay and lose certain particles such as alpha, beta and gamma particles why not just shoot them/ fuse them back into to it making it into a reusable or free energy source
Quote by SteveHouse
We don't graduate high school knowing how to file income taxes or how to use reinforcement and punishment as parents and you're worried about teaching kids nuclear waste storage? Wat.

Schools do have childcare and parenting programs/classes as well as business classes that do teach you how to handle your financial problems...or atleast mine does.

I don't know of any class that teaches anything about nuclear power except touching base with the moral issues sourrounded behind harnessing its power as a weapon.

With so much waste, weapons and power plants around i think that people should be so much more aware of how ****ed we are if we don't find a way to either dispose or reuse the waste. I have heard of plants that can perform transmutation causing these radioactive isotopes to be less dangerous but they don't seem to be popular and were banned at one point in the U.S.
Quote by ErikLensherr

C4C

VOTE
Quote by cortes239
Nuclear warfare/waste is going to ruin the world. Humans can't even stop an oil spill. It's quite sad to be honest.

Yep.
i dunno, but i like the point you brought up about high school being useless to people who've got their ABCs down. they need to stop teaching history, dammit, i'll learn it on my own time if i care enough.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by EnjoiTAD
we were just talking about this in chemistry today. The most logical solution which im sure they have tried is to just reverse the reactions. so if they decay and lose certain particles such as alpha, beta and gamma particles why not just shoot them/ fuse them back into to it making it into a reusable or free energy source

Because free energy cannot exist.

lrn2entropy.
true but it would be nice. i was just looking at the mathematical point that in theory that should work someway. Hopefully someone figures this shit out
Quote by cortes239

No. The United States can't stop an oil spill. Remeber what happend with all that Katrina bull shit? We can't fix our messes.

... or maybe its because the U.S. government doesn't care about anything black.

on a lighter note, I like Dirges idea. We should all roll around in the radioactive materials and then get super powers.
Quote by EnjoiTAD

lol during every and all chemical/nuclear (anything) reaction where energy is produced, energy is lost, therefore if you reverse the energy you need to push energy into the system, effectively losing energy in hte long run and making your idea not viable and actually backwards

google entropy as said above

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by EnjoiTAD
It would take as much energy to "shoot" those particles back in, as you would get when they are released again. This, assuming you can "shoot" a perfect bullseye every time on every particle. If not, you lose energy in the process. LOTS of energy.

You're drying a floor by spraying it with a firehose. Makes no sense.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Who cares, this won't really have an impact until we're long gone
love is love // return to dust
Quote by tancanada

what if you get reincarnated as your son? or your son's son? how about daughter?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I'm no so sure that superpowers are worth Eight Legged Freaks becoming a documentary...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
what if you get reincarnated as your son? or your son's son? how about daughter?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by tancanada

It's ignorant comments like this that get us into situations were we've dug ourselves a hole too deep to climb out of. (and i know dirge is probably thinking about saying "if we had superpowers we wouldn't need to climb").

Oh and btw these nuclear waste are radioactive and plentiful after the Cold War stockpiles were no longer neccessary which means if they decide to say "****it let's throw it in this lake i don't drink this water someone else in the future can fix this" it goes and polutes your water supply so you either get cancer and/or die, or have children born with deformities or die?
So yes actually it has an impact now on you and everyone else.
Quote by ErikLensherr

C4C

VOTE

You guys worry too much.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by vicarious46
It's ignorant comments like this that get us into situations were we've dug ourselves a hole too deep to climb out of. (and i know dirge is probably thinking about saying "if we had superpowers we wouldn't need to climb").

I'm not being ignorant, I'm being rational. Why should we flip out about this when there's a 10% unemployment rate and the biggest oil spill in history among other things going on that are a lot worse?
love is love // return to dust
Quote by vicarious46
So between watching The History Channel and looking into studying physics in college a question came upon me:

How are we going to ensure that these radioactive isotopes will decay without harming mankind, other living creatures and the environment when some take hundreds of thousands, even millions of years to decay?

After reading a little what scientists have suggested there seems almost no fail-proof guranteed way of storing it. One suggestion for short-term decaying isotopes was to store in salt deposits that would eventually crush and all it to decay. But is that a gurantee that it won't spread up through the salt and into water deposits?

What did sound almost convenient was launching waste out into space, but how do you track containers of radioactive waste for a million years in space and ensure that it doesn't somehow fall back or spread throughout earth's atmosphere?

Sorry if i sound like a babbling idiot because all i know of these subjects is what i've learned through t.v. and internet. Shouldn't these subjects be taught to high school students and how f*cked our radioactive waste situation is? I just think this should be a more widely known and talked about subject on the global scale because as a high school student i haven't heard of what they do with nuclear waste until now.

Once again forgive me if i'm an idiot and if you could please clearify to me how we can deal with the world's nuclear waste without it harming living organisms and the environment

Tl;dr: How the **** do we get rid of radioactive waste without it polluting earth's water or harming living organisms including humans?

Google Yucca Mountain...now

That's what the US is doing with it's nuclear waste, and I'm not sure how I feel about it...
Quote by tancanada
I'm not being ignorant, I'm being rational. Why should we flip out about this when there's a 10% unemployment rate and the biggest oil spill in history among other things going on that are a lot worse?

Because we've mass produced nuclear weapons and power and now have no where to store the excess. It's not an everyday material like steel that if you have too much you can store in a warehouse for later use because these materials let off radiation that is highly dangerous to humans amongst other things. Jobs can be created out of studying and understanding how to efficiently store and handle radioactive materials.

I'm not saying that those problems are no less important im saying that the issue of dealing with radioactive "waste' is an unrecognized problem, that under certain conditions could easily cause the deaths of dozens, hundreds or millions of people if these materials are mishandled or stored incorrectly. And as far as i know mankind hasn't found a conveniant way of storing all of this excess without it radiating and polluting.
Quote by ErikLensherr

C4C

VOTE
Quote by vicarious46
Because we've mass produced nuclear weapons and power and now have no where to store the excess. It's not an everyday material like steel that if you have too much you can store in a warehouse for later use because these materials let off radiation that is highly dangerous to humans amongst other things. Jobs can be created out of studying and understanding how to efficiently store and handle radioactive materials.

I'm not saying that those problems are no less important im saying that the issue of dealing with radioactive "waste' is an unrecognized problem, that under certain conditions could easily cause the deaths of dozens, hundreds or millions of people if these materials are mishandled or stored incorrectly. And as far as i know mankind hasn't found a conveniant way of storing all of this excess without it radiating and polluting.

Google Yucca Mountain
Quote by justaramsfan
Google Yucca Mountain...now

That's what the US is doing with it's nuclear waste, and I'm not sure how I feel about it...

I've read about that and if i remember correctly it sits on top of a very large water deposit that Las Vegas may consider using in the future....

Sounds brilliant lets store radioactive waste in a mountain cause its like really big and stuff, but don't worry bout it being on top of a large water deposit cause theres NO CHANCE EVER that the water could be polluted
Quote by ErikLensherr

C4C

VOTE
Quote by vicarious46
I've read about that and if i remember correctly it sits on top of a very large water deposit that Las Vegas may consider using in the future....

Sounds brilliant lets store radioactive waste in a mountain cause its like really big and stuff, but don't worry bout it being on top of a large water deposit cause theres NO CHANCE EVER that the water could be polluted

Might wanna read it again...because it wasn't just water...they had salt, sand, some large lead containers in a large warehouse, with that water that no one uses...and more sand, and more salt...

It's pretty elaborate actually
they're planning on burying it in yucca mountain, which is a geographically stable, dry, environment with almost no flora/fauna in the middle of Nevada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_mountain
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Last edited by kylepianoman at May 20, 2010,
Page 1 of 2