i recently got accepted into musicians institutes' summer shot in the guitar program. now the reason i am making thread is because i havent really had any experience playing in front of a group, let alone doing it for an entire week.

ive only been playing for a couple of years but i feel like i really havent "learned" anything yet. i can play songs like Motorhead - Ace of Spades and Paul Gilbert - Down to Mexico. but i feel that i dont really know many techniques. i can string skip a little, double tap a bit, and cant sweep for the life of me! i did some google searches to see what other people have said about the program and i found one where he talked about playing "the 12 bar blues" and i realize i dont know what that is! (i found the guitar pro file here)

i know i can only over come my nervous-ness of playing live by experience but what can you guys suggest i learn? (songs or techniques). and yes i have been practicing playing while stand up!
Quote by weridguy
i recently got accepted into musicians institutes' summer shot in the guitar program. now the reason i am making thread is because i havent really had any experience playing in front of a group, let alone doing it for an entire week.

ive only been playing for a couple of years but i feel like i really havent "learned" anything yet. i can play songs like Motorhead - Ace of Spades and Paul Gilbert - Down to Mexico. but i feel that i dont really know many techniques. i can string skip a little, double tap a bit, and cant sweep for the life of me! i did some google searches to see what other people have said about the program and i found one where he talked about playing "the 12 bar blues" and i realize i dont know what that is! (i found the guitar pro file here)

i know i can only over come my nervous-ness of playing live by experience but what can you guys suggest i learn? (songs or techniques). and yes i have been practicing playing while stand up!

You don't have to try out for the summer programs, you just have to pay a ****load.
i know. i got accepted already. plus i live close by so no housing or transport costs so it isnt so bad. im just looking on ways to improve before i go and to learn 'jam' songs or ways to improv better since they have 'open play' every night over there
Quote by weridguy
i know. i got accepted already. plus i live close by so no housing or transport costs so it isnt so bad. im just looking on ways to improve before i go and to learn 'jam' songs or ways to improv better since they have 'open play' every night over there

Let us know how that goes man, Im curious just how much they can improve your playing in such as short period of time.

12 bar blues is pretty easy though.

Its this at its most basic-

I | I(orIV)| I | I
V | IV | I | I
V | IV | I | V

Roman numerals represent the chords within the given scale of course, Im sure you know that though. You can pretty much get away with just repeating that over and over again.