that can change the tone of your guitar? Like say I'm playing with a lot of distortion but then I want to switch to a clean sound, is there a pedal that can do that?

Thanks.
Take let's say One by Metallica. Half the song is switching from clean to distorted, is there a pedal or something that could let me do that myself?

Have a clean sound and run it through a distortion pedal. Don't do it the other way around
Check out my band Disturbed
get a loop strip

this image is too big, so i deleted it

this one's an a/b

Last edited by JohnnySoul at May 20, 2010,
What Is This I Don't Even?
Once fixed a toilet with an old trombone...
Well, there are a multitude of overdrive, distortion, fuzzboxes and other pedals that will give you a distorted tone. So set up your amp to play clean and then use an overdrive pedal or something to switch to distortion.
Or get a footswitch to change from the clean to distorted channels if your amp.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Oh so I need a distortion pedal, cool. Sorry I don't know much about guitar gear, all I know how to do is play haha.
But keep in mind the DeTox only works up to a certain amount of gain. If you're using br00t4l amounts of gain it's not going to make it sparkling clean.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Is this for real?
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by JohnnySoul
get a loop strip

this one's an a/b

What? Do explain this theory.

LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
What? Do explain this theory.

It's a looper. You can set up different effects chains with it and switch from one to another with it. Kinda pointless if all you use is a single distortion pedal.

Quote by WtrPlyr
Volume knob of your guitar.

It's really underrated.

+1

TS.... there's roughly a billion different distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals that do just that. You set your amp on clean and the pedal generates the distortion and can be switched on and off with your foot. There's also foot controllers for amps that have seperate channels for overdriven and clean sounds.

This is just... this isn't for real, is it? You might have just as well asked us if there's a way to flush the toilet or if wearing pants is an option.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Volume knob of your guitar.

It's really underrated.

Seriously this.
I can have the Gain and Lead Drive on my Mark IV both on 10 and still get great cleans with the volume rolled back.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Get an A/B switch so you can change between settings on your amp. Or just get a distortion pedal lol

An A/B would only work if the amp has different inputs for clean/distortion. Unless you meant a footswitch?
Quote by VVolverin3
Or get a footswitch to change from the clean to distorted channels if your amp.

+1
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Thanks everyone. I've been wondering about this for a while. And to everyone asking, yes this is for real. I'm no noob to playing guitar but I am when it comes to effects and pedals haha. The only pedal I've really had any experience with is a wah. Wasn't really sure what else was out there. (Yes I Googled)
Quote by denied
A/B only works for different amps, a looper would only work if he was using pedal distortion.

This is why I called the guy out who said to get a looper. Because TS clearly doesn't know what he wants and he told him just to get that. Which is not going to do anything for him.

TS, what kind of sound are you looking for?
What amp do you have?
What budget for a distortion pedal would you have?
Where abouts in the world are you (nearest maj city)?

Will try to point you to something that will do what you want it to.

(assuming you want to use the pedal on the cleans of your amp.)
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by JohnnySoul
get a loop strip

this one's an a/b

you just made things 10 times harder then they have to be
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Not the volume knob, not a pedal...get a loop strip. lmao
PRS SE
Epiphone LP Standard
Peavey Solo Series Renown 400
Big Muff Pi
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss AD-5 Acoustic Processor
Fender Bass
Recording gear etc...
boss ac-3
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
Quote by SimplyBen
This is why I called the guy out who said to get a looper. Because TS clearly doesn't know what he wants and he told him just to get that. Which is not going to do anything for him.

TS, what kind of sound are you looking for?
What amp do you have?
What budget for a distortion pedal would you have?
Where abouts in the world are you (nearest maj city)?

Will try to point you to something that will do what you want it to.

(assuming you want to use the pedal on the cleans of your amp.)

Thanks man, I appreciate that. I went out this morning and got a Digitech Hot Head distortion pedal (because it was only $35) and in my opinion it sounds great. The guy at the shop said it's a bit outdated but I'm not looking for anything complex until I'm more experienced with these things.

Thanks everyone.
Quote by shiz.zle
boss ac-3
Yeah. That's not quite how that works...
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Ferrets!
Yeah. That's not quite how that works...

oh i heard somewhere that you could run a distorted signal in and with the pedal engaged it would acousticize it.
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
What is this i don't even?

Dude...

This has to be a joke. Volume knob, footswitch, or set your amp to clean and run a high gain dirt box on it.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I don't believe this thread on so many levels. The TS is self-professed in his ignorance but the rest of you? What's your excuse?

For starters, the most obvious question that nobody has even bothered to ask - "What amp do you have?"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
This is kind of the reason most amps have more than one channel nowadays.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by shiz.zle
oh i heard somewhere that you could run a distorted signal in and with the pedal engaged it would acousticize it.
No. You run it on a clean signal and it EQ's it to sound brighter and more like an acoustic guitar. I'm not a big fan of it, personally, but then again, I like a little grit and power tube overdrive on my cleans.
Quote by MightyAl
im completely surprised that two pages passed the thread still doesnt have the Amp model mentioned here!!!!

my two cents

-go buy Capo drop tuner
-picks (while you are at it, picks are never enough)
-????
-use the Capo drop tuner to drop tune yoru guitar
-buy a fridge if you dont have one
-be happy...

lol that's a joke...

and No i am not a prick! it's just before considering any advice i'd love to know your amp so it wouldn't be a vague question