http://www.comcast.net/video/mom-has-deputy-pretend-to-arrest-5-year-old/1499316580/Comcast/1499154652/

Anyone else here of this?

The kid was playing with matches, and her mom had a deputy "arrest" her son.

Personally, I think she went to far, if the kid can get ahold of matches, than that's not his fault.

Parents are going completely overboard nowadays.

Discuss.

Edit: For those who can't watch the video. I will go into detail.

A mother of a 5 year old had a friend, whose a deputy, pretend to arrest her 5 year old son for playing with matches and lighters. The deputy put handcuffs around the kid, and put him in the back of the car. They got a picture of the kid, he has his head down, most likely crying his eyes out. After putting the kid in the back of the car, they let him back out and took the handcuffs off.
Last edited by eltyr18 at May 21, 2010,
its probably because the pens suck and the sharks are gonna choke

yeah way too far, fire is a natural thing that people are intrigued by, just needs to be talked to in order to know how dangerous it is
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

yeah way too far, fire is a natural thing that people are intrigued by, just needs to be talked to in order to know how dangerous it is

I just don't think the mother needs to talk to her son about it yet. He's 5, he's gonna reach for dangerous things. If the things are in a reachable spot for the child than it should be the fault of the parent, for leaving lighters and matches lie around the house.
I couldn't get the video so I may be missing something but it always seemed like common practice to me to have a cop take young kids around the block in the back of a cruiser and let all the other kids laugh at them then be like "This is what it feels like to be a criminal." Straightened my ass right out.

GEDIT: The handcuffs were definately out of line, and the kid was probably a little too young for this, but otherwise I don't really see the problem.
Last edited by guylee at May 21, 2010,
It may be too much for playing with matches. But I'm all for this type of punishment. I was wanting to do that to my younger brother and maybe keep him in a cell for a few hours to straighten his ass out. I still want that to happen.
Yeah, she should have beat the shit out of him instead.

EDIT:
Quote by supersac
too far a good beating would have sufficed

Oh snap!
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Last edited by bodyheatseeker at May 21, 2010,
Yeah.. she should have just beat him like a normal person.

But really.. she did go a bit too far, I mean no 5 year old needs to be scared like that but it's not exactly the most extreme thing in the world.. I don't get why this is a news story..
Cornflakes
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Ha ha ha ha

Go Hawks!
Quote by MangoStarr
i think i love you
Way too far. The way the mother said everything so matter-of-factly made me want to punch her in the face. It's her fault that the kid could get the matches in the first place.

I remember playing with matches when I was 4 or 5 and my dad just took them away, told me how dangerous that could be and hid them higher up.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
I just think it's another attempt for parents to hide their own mistakes.

The kid was playing with lighters and matches. Why in the hell were those items reachable?

If you don't want a dog chewing on lets say a remote, you put it in a place they can't get to it. If not, than it's your own fault for not putting it somewhere they can't reach it. Same thing goes for kids and dangerous items.

Parents are trying to hide to much these days and blame it on other things. I think she should be arrested for having those items in reachable positions, and causing the kid to probably be traumatized by this.
maybe not the right situation, but can be useful at the right age and for the right thing.
Quote by eltyr18
I just think it's another attempt for parents to hide their own mistakes.

The kid was playing with lighters and matches. Why in the hell were those items reachable?

If you don't want a dog chewing on lets say a remote, you put it in a place they can't get to it. If not, than it's your own fault for not putting it somewhere they can't reach it. Same thing goes for kids and dangerous items.

Parents are trying to hide to much these days and blame it on other things. I think she should be arrested for having those items in reachable positions, and causing the kid to probably be traumatized by this.

Ok first off, there could be certain extenuating circumstances, like the kid found the matches on the street or some shit who knows? Second off, it never says this is the first time the kid did it-maybe he's one of those little pyro ****ers and she's caught him doing it multiple times. Third, I'm sick of people thinking kids are gonna be "traumatized" by all this. thinking like this is the reason kids are such little assholes anymore.
Quote by guylee
Ok first off, there could be certain extenuating circumstances, like the kid found the matches on the street or some shit who knows? Second off, it never says this is the first time the kid did it-maybe he's one of those little pyro ****ers and she's caught him doing it multiple times. Third, I'm sick of people thinking kids are gonna be "traumatized" by all this. thinking like this is the reason kids are such little assholes anymore.

You don't put your son through all that just cause he found matches on the street. Also, he's 5, he should be watched when he's on the street or outside. Fault still goes on the parents if he found them outside.

And if he's done it more than once, you find a different hiding place where he's not allowed to go, or maybe a high place. He's 5 years old, I doubt he can reach something 4-5 feet high.

And a persons mind develops the most between the ages of 2-8, thats when kids get fears of what they don't like. He's not gonna be scared of playing with matches, he's gonna be scared of doing something and the police get involved with it.

And right now, he has the most strong hatred towards his mom for faking an arrest on him. My dad did shit to me when I was that age, and it pissed me off, me and him don't get along. I won't be surprised if he grows up not attached to his mom, cause now he can't trust her.
How exactly is this that bad?
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Dude, just put the matches away better, Mom.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

And what happens when he plays with guns? Fake execution?

I'm sure that would REALLY make him shit his pants.
LARGE TEXT
Quote by eltyr18
You don't put your son through all that just cause he found matches on the street. Also, he's 5, he should be watched when he's on the street or outside. Fault still goes on the parents if he found them outside.

And if he's done it more than once, you find a different hiding place where he's not allowed to go, or maybe a high place. He's 5 years old, I doubt he can reach something 4-5 feet high.

And a persons mind develops the most between the ages of 2-8, thats when kids get fears of what they don't like. He's not gonna be scared of playing with matches, he's gonna be scared of doing something and the police get involved with it.

And right now, he has the most strong hatred towards his mom for faking an arrest on him. My dad did shit to me when I was that age, and it pissed me off, me and him don't get along. I won't be surprised if he grows up not attached to his mom, cause now he can't trust her.

I'm not saying it WASN'T the moms fault, we just shouldn't be so quick to pass judgment when we don't know the full story. And feed me all the psychological mumbo-jumbo you want, but some of the best people I know were brought up on more "traditional" punishments like this.
Quote by guylee
I'm not saying it WASN'T the moms fault, we just shouldn't be so quick to pass judgment when we don't know the full story. And feed me all the psychological mumbo-jumbo you want, but some of the best people I know were brought up on more "traditional" punishments like this.

I wasn't punished when I was younger when I did something wrong. Well, at least not this bad, I was just told to go to my room, and stay there the rest of the night. I turned out fine. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs. I've tried all three, and my parents know, and they were fine with it.

I know a bunch of people that have really really strict parents, and all they do is rebel against them.

My parents were open, and I felt no need to go out and do drugs or drink or do anything like that, cause I didn't feel it was necessary, and still don't feel it's necessary.

So, this kid not being told not to do something (which kids LOVE to rebel), will just end up playing with matches or lighters again.
Quote by eltyr18
I wasn't punished when I was younger when I did something wrong. Well, at least not this bad, I was just told to go to my room, and stay there the rest of the night. I turned out fine. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs. I've tried all three, and my parents know, and they were fine with it.

I know a bunch of people that have really really strict parents, and all they do is rebel against them.

My parents were open, and I felt no need to go out and do drugs or drink or do anything like that, cause I didn't feel it was necessary, and still don't feel it's necessary.

So, this kid not being told not to do something (which kids LOVE to rebel), will just end up playing with matches or lighters again.

I'm happy you turned out fine, but my point was that kids aren't traumatized for life when they're punished like this.
Seems like a pretty amusing way to teach her kid a lesson. Not only that, but he wont do anything else bad for the rest of his life out of fear of wtf she'll do next. I think this was acctually brilliant. It was a punishment that a) didn't hurt the child in any serious manner, b) got the point across and c) will leave a lasting impression. I can't think of a better way to punish a child so effectively with so little negative consequences.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Quote by eltyr18

Good?

He has fear of what he's not supposed to do, big deal. It's not outrageous, just over dramatic. The kid will learn his lesson. Stop being such bitches.