I have recently gotten into recording and I don't have a bassist readily available so I am hoping to buy a cheap bass guitar to record parts for songs im messing around with. I was hoping to only spend around 100$ used. It doesn't really matter what it looks like as it will only be used for recording. I play a very large variety of music so the more versatile the better. Thanks for the help.
a hundred is insanely low for anykind of instrument. with that budget I say take what you van get off of craigslist, keep an eye out for yahmaha, squire, ibanez and peavy in particular.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Best I could say would be to look at an ibanez Gio or a Rondo bass.
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
yeah it is pretty low, i already have two $1000 guitars tho and the bass isn't for performing or anything so i was hoping not to spend too much
Quote by the_perdestrian
a hundred is insanely low for anykind of instrument. with that budget I say take what you van get off of craigslist, keep an eye out for yahmaha, squire, ibanez and peavy in particular.

NO SQUIRES!!! If your going to get one of them, you might as well save and get a real Fender made with decent materials. I've had a couple Squires and played plenty in the store and I've always been disappointed.

If one of your local stores sells these, I'd recommend getting one. I got mine for $200 about 2 and a half years ago and it's still plays great.

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/fn1.html

I've played (and owned) other guitars (both guitar and bass) in the Greg Bennett series and their great. Obviously they are not as good as guitars that cost much more, but for under $500, it's great.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
Quote by ESP Axes Man
yeah it is pretty low, i already have two $1000 guitars tho and the bass isn't for performing or anything so i was hoping not to spend too much

Well, make sure you get a bass that is passive and in good condition rather than active and in a bit worse condition.

As a guitarist I think passive will suit your needs more and much more appropriate and simple.

As already mentioned, Peavey and Ibanez seem to be respected players when it comes to cheap basses. A Yamaha BB series is still actually something I'm after (new rather than used).

You could be surprised at what $100 might get you though. Two years ago a friend of mine bought a brand new home-made bass off E-Bay with a gig bag for £100. It is 34" scale (standard, so no cut backs there) Bridge and Neck pickups and it sounded and played very well. I used it 4 hours a week for a year and it was amazing.

I'd still want a BB414X. Standard BB doesn't have the 'rock 'n roll' factor for my personal taste in aesthetics though.

Only idiots buy guitars or like them for looks!

I don't like my Peavey Cirrus BXP but damn my 36" scale makes me look so much more bad ass. Size is everything. Especially when it's inches more.
I collect clothes and IKEA furniture. Who are you?
Rondomusic/SX basses can be a little hit and miss from what i hear, but the guy in charge is apparently really nice, and is always willing to take a returned sub-par bass and replace it, so i'd say go with them. Although, last i checked they had new headstocks that were pretty ugly.
Quote by Jasonbts
NO SQUIRES!!! If your going to get one of them, you might as well save and get a real Fender made with decent materials. I've had a couple Squires and played plenty in the store and I've always been disappointed.

I own a Squier and have played several, and they've always been they're moneys worth.

I'd suggest for you to just look around in the classifieds for something cheap, and then sometime in the future you can make a more informed decision.
Quote by Jasonbts

If one of your local stores sells these, I'd recommend getting one. I got mine for $200 about 2 and a half years ago and it's still plays great.

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/fn1.html

I've played (and owned) other guitars (both guitar and bass) in the Greg Bennett series and their great. Obviously they are not as good as guitars that cost much more, but for under $500, it's great.

squire affinitys (the absolute cheapest squire available) is crap, anything else is decent and VMs are actually pretty good.
no sir away a papaya war is on