Short-and-sweet: Jack White is about the posterchild for the Big Muff. Yet his guitar usually sounds like it's just overdriving an amp to me. How exactly does he keep it from going to it's traditional, giant-stampede-of-fuzz sound?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
on a muff: volume Up, sustain, minimum.

im usually able to get a White Sound by simply turning my amp up a little bit, i dont really need my muff for any Stripes/Racontours tones. if you go the Muff Route, then it's a matter of the above, with your amp's gain set to taste to mix with the muff/fuzz.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Try a smoother fuzz? Like the Russian big muff pi
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by HellBoy9393
Try a smoother fuzz? Like the Russian big muff pi

yeah my rec'd idea above is from my Russian. f5ck the NYC version imo
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Guitar volume knob I bet, you can get a lot more sensible tones from a muff with your guitar's knob in play as well.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

his "clean" tone most of the time isn't really clean, it's usually the overdriven sound you hear most. I guess he's either cranking the hell out of the fender twins, or using the silvertone more, but imo it's usually easy to tell whether he has the muff on or not.

he also has an mxr microamp, i think. ¯\(°_0)/¯
Quote by SimplyBen
Guitar volume knob I bet, you can get a lot more sensible tones from a muff with your guitar's knob in play as well.

Nah man, Muffs don't mix well with volume knob changes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Nah man, Muffs don't mix well with volume knob changes.

Mine does
Then again, mine isn't a muff I suppose it's a muff clone..
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I'm guessing that you have a Musket, right? If so, it's pretty different with its preamp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Try hitting it with a boost. The Muff takes boosts rather well, gets a lot more defined, sounds tighter.

This.

I rather liked the sound of an overdrive on low gain in front of my green Sovtek Pi.
I've been thinking the same thing lately and I'm pretty sure that a lot of pros use the muff then blend some clean signal back in in the studio. You hear it a lot where its THE muff sound, but much smoother, more defined and less thumpy. I think that's how they're doing it but I'm not sure.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
the crunch come from a micro amp. the muff he uses mostly on solos or build ups (build up ala Rich Kid Blues)
If love was money I could afford you honey.

Bandalism [Ban-dil-i-zem] n.: the willful or malicious destruction of, or damage to, the fabric of a rock/pop/indie/metal group brought about by one or more of its members.
You know that Jack White doesn't always have is bug muff on, right?
Alot of is sound is just his overdriven silvertone amp.