I'm looking to upgrade from a nearly unplayable Strat copy, but my budget is student sized. I reckon I can probably afford to spend up to around £250 for the right guitar, and I'd much prefer to buy new. I want to be playing blues/hard rock kind of stuff. Cream, Guns and Roses, Pink Floyd, and maybe a bit of punk. I have very little interest in shredding, but a guitar that will sound good with a bit of occasional Metallica wouldn't go amiss. At the moment, I just have a small, cheap solid state practise amp, but I'll be looking to upgrade this around Christmas time for a higher quality but still small amp, probably something like a 20W solid state or a 10W valve (really not looked into this yet).

Preferences:
Hardtail, though a trem isn't the end of the world.
Preferably a bridge humbucker
Must not look like some spiky death machine, classic shapes please.

My local guitar shop's carrying the following three that I've noticed on the website:
Westfield Deluxe LP E4500
Peavey HP Series Special
Sheridan A100 Les Paul

Of these, the Westfield is quite attractive to me. The Peavey looks good, but I'm not sure about the FR trem. The Sheridan would obviously need me to try to get a deal (going on past experience with the shop, it might be possible). The advantage of these, of course, is that I'd be able to try them out.

In addition, I've been looking at these at GAK:
ESP LTD EC-50 - Looks like a very good deal.
Adam Black Orion - I have a magazine (Guitar and Bass Magazine, Winter '09) that puts this guitar as one of its top 3 under £500. I've seen a couple of topics on here suggesting that they can be a bit hit and miss though, and as I wouldn't be able to play it I'm a bit wary.
Epiphone LP-100. I've heard good things, but the Westfield seems possibly a bit nicer and I can try it.

I know I've suggested a lot of possible guitars there, but I'm just trying to rule a few out before I either go to the shop and start trying them or make an order for an untried one. Cheers.
Westfield LP's are pretty cack.

have a look at vintage v100's, they are much nicer for the money,

though if your willing to go second hand the LTD EC251's are very nice too.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Change the bridge pickup out for something hotter - maybe an axetec hot slag?

The pacifica 112J is one of the best entry level guitar made in the last 10 years, it's been replaced by the 112v which is not quite as good but still very solid for your money.
I wouldn't recommend the epi lp-100 though. they seem much cheaper than the ones only a little but pricier than them.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at May 21, 2010,
spikey death machine... I lol'd
"I'm not retreating, I'm initiating an offensive manouvre in the opposite direction!"
Quote by Tom 1.0
have a look at vintage v100's

+3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510

Great value guitars for the money. I got mine for 180 GBP.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

MIM HSS Strat? I dont know if it's enough for a new one but you can definitely get one used for that cash.
If you're determined to buy new, I'd look at Yamaha Pacifica, Epiphone LP Studio Worn or something from Ibanez (SA range) all at under £250.

BUT - I'd go secondhand, plenty of choice if you're prepared to hunt and check them out - Mex HSS Strat, Epi or Burny Les Paul, mid range Ibanez maybe.
I am absolutely set on buying new, mostly for warranty purposes. I'm always a little wary of buying used from people I don't know, rightly or wrongly.

So it seems that my two best options are the Yamaha Pacifica 112v or the Vintage v100. Both are priced so that they would allow me to afford an entry level distortion pedal too, which would be a benefit over the distortion channel of my amp. I'm leaning more towards the Vintage due to preferring the Les Paul style and the hardtail, but I would no doubt be happy with the Yamaha as well...

I've seen that an ex-demo Vintage is available. How much do ex-demo guitars get beaten up? I ride mountain bikes, and the ex-demo bikes generally need a lot of parts changing as they're just worn out... Is it worth the £30 saving?
You can pick up a Vintage Advance AV1H for about £250 right now. By far, by far, the best LP copy on the market in the -£500 price range. The Vintage V100 is your next step down, basically the same as an Epi Standard but cheaper.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ This is the right answer.

Basically, Vintage make some of the best lower to mid range stuff on the market. You'd be hard pushed to buy a new guitar for better value than their AV1H, that's for sure.

Oh, Flibble, have you tried the semi-hollows? I'm curious for an opinion on them as to wether it's worth my time to travel and try one out.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Only tried the 535 model, their standard ES-335 copy. It was pretty good - built as well as my MIK Epi LP, better built and better sounding than the MIC Epi Dot I used to have. As per usual with Vintage, I've not come across another archtop style guitar that is better in the same price range. Neck pickup was a little dull and the pickup selector switch was a bit cheap and made a loud clicking noise - those are the only two negatives that stick out in my mind. I really want to give one of the VA AV3s a go with the triple P-90 pickups. The standard Vintage was really good for the money so I would assume the Vintage Advance version should be really quite special.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
You can pick up a Vintage Advance AV1H for about £250 right now. By far, by far, the best LP copy on the market in the -£500 price range. The Vintage V100 is your next step down, basically the same as an Epi Standard but cheaper.

The cheapest I can find an AV1H for (other than a completely black one I don't like at £259) is £279. Where have you seen it for £250?
Quote by MrFlibble
Only tried the 535 model, their standard ES-335 copy. It was pretty good - built as well as my MIK Epi LP, better built and better sounding than the MIC Epi Dot I used to have. As per usual with Vintage, I've not come across another archtop style guitar that is better in the same price range. Neck pickup was a little dull and the pickup selector switch was a bit cheap and made a loud clicking noise - those are the only two negatives that stick out in my mind. I really want to give one of the VA AV3s a go with the triple P-90 pickups. The standard Vintage was really good for the money so I would assume the Vintage Advance version should be really quite special.

Cheers for the heads up. I'm debating my guitar choice. Half of me wants a semi-hollow, hense looking into the Vintage stuff (also contemplating a nice Epi Riviera, god knows how sexy they are). The other half is contemplating a Gordon Smith LP Jr style guitar. Guess I'll see how I feel in a few weeks when I have the money.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quick answer needed...

I know I said I was set against used guitars, but I saw this linked in another post. I'm tempted to put a bid in on it.
1. If I put in a £175 bid, would it stand a chance?
2. Is it a decent enough guitar?
possibly,

yeah it is a good guitar,

IMO better than Vintage guitars, but then again i love my Epi,

i wouldnt bid more than £150 though IMO as you can get new ones for 260ish

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Well, it went for £195. Not to me.

I've discovered that a music shop in Birmingham is offering a new Pacifica 112v on eBay for £169, with the option to go and play it in the store. To test. I've sent a message asking if I can give it a go on Monday, and may well end up leaving with a lighter wallet.
Quote by whyamihere
Well, it went for £195. Not to me.

I've discovered that a music shop in Birmingham is offering a new Pacifica 112v on eBay for £169, with the option to go and play it in the store. To test. I've sent a message asking if I can give it a go on Monday, and may well end up leaving with a lighter wallet.

really?

cor...

the gothics, which are normally MIK go for about £100 lol

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Pacifica's are definately worth it, if you upgrade the pickups to dimarzio's you have an extremely fine quality guitar
if i played what you did, I'd probably be looking at a superstrat rather than a LP. Either a pacifica or vintage advance AV6 (either the one with the HSS setup or the one with 3 stacked p90s, your choice, the HSS one is probably the "safer" choice, though) would be worth a look.

kurapica: i've tried the vintage advance semi hollow with 3 p90s. I liked it, and like most of the vintage advances I've tried (certainly the ones with the lower output pickups) it sounded pretty good, but based on the ones I've tried, the QC has been a bit spotty. I don't know if this is because the guitar shops here don't sell much and they're hanging around in the store for years, or if kids try them all the time and half wreck them, or whether we get the rejects over here in Northern Ireland, but that's been my experience.

Which is annoying because at internet prices I might consider one, but if my experience has been anything to go by, I'd want to try before buying.

The standard vintage 335 copy i tried was pretty rubbish, i thought. Same caveats as I mentioned about the vintage advances apply, it may just have been that the one I tried was a bad one etc.

And it's not that I have anything against them, I went in to try them wanting to like them, because if I had I'd have probably bought one.

If you're at Gordon Smith money you're probably not a million miles off MIJ Tokai money too. Though I'm sure you thought of that already.

What I said about the QC of Vintage Advances would be of interest to the TS too, that's why I posted it instead of pming kurapica.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 21, 2010,
@Dave MC

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply, I really appreciate it. So it's just a case of try what you can, not blind buy? That's a shame, as there are some deals to be had, but nevermind.

Yeah, with Gordon Smith prices I have considered Tokai and Edwards etc, as you've said. I played a couple of GS guitars up north and they were fantastic, like, if I had the money I'd of bought them then and there. I know it's shallow as hell, but I like the idea of an English guitar through an English amp (and a Japanese pedal...ahem). I'm just looking for two guitars atm. One would be a pure dirt guitar (P90 LP/SG Jr style) and one would be a classy clean guitar (semi hollow, maybe Epi Riv?).

Anyways, to make this relevant...

OP, check out some Vintage stuff. They are an English company that have been really working for the mid range guitarist. A lot of good stuff with nice quality hardware. I've only played the Strat and LP models, but after a setup, they're fantastic. If you're buying new, they're definitely your best bet.

Kurapica.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Just ordered the £169 Pacifica 112v. The Vintage AV1H, while very nice, is just a bit too much for me on my budget. I was really struggling to decide between the Pacifica and the Vintage V100, but seeing the Pacifica for £169 certainly persuaded me.

Should arrive some time next week.
get a vintage v100
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
^^ congrats on the pacifica, it's a nice guitar, I think it'll suit what you play.

Quote by Kurapica
@Dave MC

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply, I really appreciate it. So it's just a case of try what you can, not blind buy? That's a shame, as there are some deals to be had, but nevermind.

Yeah, with Gordon Smith prices I have considered Tokai and Edwards etc, as you've said. I played a couple of GS guitars up north and they were fantastic, like, if I had the money I'd of bought them then and there. I know it's shallow as hell, but I like the idea of an English guitar through an English amp (and a Japanese pedal...ahem). I'm just looking for two guitars atm. One would be a pure dirt guitar (P90 LP/SG Jr style) and one would be a classy clean guitar (semi hollow, maybe Epi Riv?).

No problem. yeah, that was my experience. I went into the shops trying them hoping to like them, and hoping they were consistent, but they just weren't. Nothing that really made them a bad guitar, but like dodgy paint work, that white guff you sometimes see on fretboards (what is that, silicon? o_O ), etc. etc. When I was looking, you could get new ones for like £180 or so if you knew where to look, they're a bit more now unfortunately. They also have horrible stock strings, which doesn't exactly help with the trying out- spoiling the ship for a hap'eth of tar, kind of thing. Not even that, but probably doing them out of sales.

Funnily enough, I've heard the same thing about gordon smiths (iffy QC). the ones I've tried have been great, but i've heard enough from people online whom I trust that you'd want to try before buying.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 22, 2010,
i think spikey death machine is just about as hilarious as my dad calling my camels "hump back death sticks"

You make me lulz.

And yeah, id go with the 251 ltd
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
ESP LTD Eclipse 1000, ASB
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60