I have little to no knowledge on what makes a cab good or not. I'm fairly uneducated on the subject.

Right now I'm looking at something like a JCM 800 KK or a JCM 800 (which I'll hopefully mod to have more balls to it lol). I was also thinking of ENGL but that's a whole other story.

So like I said I have no idea what I should be looking at when looking for cabs. The head is probably going to run me a pretty penny already so I'm looking for something good yet affordabl.

Thanks in advance!
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by eyebanez333
Mesa recto oversized 412

Any particular reason for your choice of suggestion?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Well...that JCM 800 KK head is a beast. Good choice....that's also next on my list.

If you are gonna spend that much on a head you should deff get a good cab.

I would get a Marshall 1960A or B to run with that head. I just saw a used on on Craiglist for $300.00 with the Vintage 30's in it.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Any particular reason for your choice of suggestion?

I've played and owned a lot of cabs...and this one is the best in terms of sound (both live and in studio) and construction. The oversized cabinets have beastly low end. V30s are perfect for the kind of metal I play too.
Quote by eyebanez333
I've played and owned a lot of cabs...and this one is the best in terms of sound (both live and in studio) and construction. The oversized cabinets have beastly low end. V30s are perfect for the kind of metal I play too.

If you don't mind me asking (for comparison) what kind of metal do you play?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
If you don't mind me asking (for comparison) what kind of metal do you play?

Lots of different styles. Parkway Drive stuff, to Metallica, to After the Burial and Meshuggah, 8-string stuff. Usually high gain music...with clean passages too (I use my XXX and a borrowed ENGL)...but the cab works great for everything. I will never buy another cab...unless its another Mesa like the one I have now
sry for going out of topic.. if you want to have a modded marshall get an engl
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
The JCM800KK is basically a modded Marshall, modified by Marshall, extra gain, built in eq(supposed to be simialr to his MXR eq pedal, and built in noise gate, that will actually let you get feedback. Apparently one of the best noise gates available.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
well, someone needs to make a 'usable, non-clamping' noise gate.

but, onto cabs.

i started out with a '89 peavey 4x12 with celestion G12K-85's (a precursor to the G12K-100 they now make available). at the time i was playing an explorer with an emg 81 in the bridge (who needs a neck pup when you 19 and angry right?). i played lots of metallica style metal, with some drop D stuff as well.

what i learned from this experience was a 4x12 is cumbersome to move around, there were times i actually forgot to plug it in and couldn't tell a difference... Also i learned that the celestion K series was incredibly stiff sounding (not overly responsive, with a fairly non musical feedback) but didn't buckle under heavy distortion or with slack tunings. the K series is very metal. also, i really liked the tone of oversized closed-back cabinets, the low end response was more pleasing than other cabs i tried (for all the talk about how bad peavey cabs are, i'd still run that '89 4x12 over any other i have played, including mesa or orange)

after my experience with my peavey i got an orange ppc212, with V30's. i was in hog heaven for a while, until i started feeling that the V30's were a bit 'blocky' sounding, the mids tended to sizzle, the responsiveness was still a bit stiff, the feedback more musical, the tone cuts in the mix more. i wanted something a bit more organic sounding, with more character (the V30's almost felt like they were trying to hard). so i replaced the speakers with a weber alnico blue dog and a ceramic silver bell, this combo of speakers dropped my jaw at first listen, i didn't expect such a dramatic change.

i play stuff you hear on my profile with the ppc212 now, it is incredibly versatile.

also, when choosing a cab, you will want to make sure you take impedance and power handling into consideration. you will want to match impedance with the head (16 ohm out on head to a 16 ohm cab, etc) and as much/more power handling in the cab than the head is rated for(ie, a 50 watt head will need a cab rated for at least 50 watts). also, for metal, most people don't prefer speaker distortion, so most people run a higher power handling cab(run a 50 watt head with a 75 watt rated speaker). many people say to run twice as much power handling as the head (50 watt head matched to a 100 watt cabinet) but i feel that is way overkill, an extra ~20 watts rating over the head's output is sufficient imo.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae