"There are fears the research could be abused and lead to millions being wiped out by a plague like in the Will Smith film I Am Legend"

I love the Daily Mail
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding
"There are fears the research could be abused and lead to millions being wiped out by a plague like in the Will Smith film I Am Legend"

I love the Daily Mail

The Daily Fail would be hilarious if people didn't take it seriously.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
love the picture of the goat in the corner, just in case we forgot what a goat was
now extra flamey
dont worry OP. the daily fail is full of dumbasses
If its Illegal to Rock N Roll.........Throw my Ass in Jail!

Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha yes I recognize you mate!

There's already a thread around with a fair few replies, but that daily mail link is hilarious. way to scaremonger!
Dailymail = crap

Fail...
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
the fact that theyve created artificial life thats based of a set of DNA that already exists means nothing particularly new is created + as it is bacteria and not virus's that are created it would be quite easily treatablle.

Virus's are not living anyway however they are not dead =S <<<<<< irrelevant
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Saw this on the news yesterday. My friends were high, so obviously it scared them a bit- the fear took over of this technology falling into the hands of someone who wants to create a race of super-badgers to destroy everyone.

I think it's a good thing, it could be used for skin grafts, and after the serious stuff is out of the way they should bring the dodos back because they're awesome. No dinosaur safari parks though.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
They are making him out to be some genius pioneer that is going to benefit the world. He's no more intelligent than a grill man in a diner. How could you trust a person who's fooling around with DNA and then you look at him and he is bald. All this guy did is mix up a concoction of ingredients and got a result. If this guy is so brilliant then he should be able to grow the hair back on his head. I will stress it again that these people are no more intelligent than you and I. In fact they are dangerous

AHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
I entirely believe he has created artificial life - it hasn't been far off for the past few years.

This does ask some big question of religion though (if we create life what's special about god for example). History has repeatedly taught us though, that religion initially opposes (often violently) anything that challenges it, then eventually after ~100 years gives in to the overwhelming majority of scientific evidence. Finally it says "science was right all along but god is involved in ...."

There'll always be a few nutters who deny it entirely though...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
awesome,

i'm one step closer to my life goal now...
(having a raptor as a pet)

and btw... shit people are against this as well... everytime something cool happens some darn retards try to stop it because of the "ethics" and risks

well I for one would rather die because of a synthetic life going crazy then to something like cancer/age

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Last edited by numinis at May 21, 2010,
I don't see this as a particularly large breakthrough and I actually have some experience in molecular biology itself (Pathologist, but I've done a few molecular pracs in my time)

I've made recombinant Escherichia coli (probably the bacteria they used) that has a resistance to ampicillin (this is somewhat mentioned in that lame stripped down guide) basically there's a gene added that produces an enzyme that breaks down beta lactam antibiotics (penicillin?)

The E.coli also had had an operon (structural set of genes) which in the presence of arabinose, would cause it to fluoresce under UV lights.

They have recobinant animals that can glow under UV using very similar proteins (look up NeonMice)

We also already have microorganisms for cleaning oil spills and producing antibodies... it's hardly new news.. I think it's impressive that he managed to create a set of DNA to produce the proteins required to make a lifeform, and anyone else with genetics / cell physiology knowledge would agree, this isn't ground breaking - just time consuming :P
You know, when people figured out who to make fire, the Daily Mail went with the headline "unga bunga ugh ugh oooorrrragghh!".
Which, as we all know, translates to "with this fire, we could not all die in the winter, but it could destroy us all!"
Quote by Flashheart
I don't see this as a particularly large breakthrough and I actually have some experience in molecular biology itself (Pathologist, but I've done a few molecular pracs in my time)

I've made recombinant Escherichia coli (probably the bacteria they used) that has a resistance to ampicillin (this is somewhat mentioned in that lame stripped down guide) basically there's a gene added that produces an enzyme that breaks down beta lactam antibiotics (penicillin?)

The E.coli also had had an operon (structural set of genes) which in the presence of arabinose, would cause it to fluoresce under UV lights.

They have recobinant animals that can glow under UV using very similar proteins (look up NeonMice)

We also already have microorganisms for cleaning oil spills and producing antibodies... it's hardly new news.. I think it's impressive that he managed to create a set of DNA to produce the proteins required to make a lifeform, and anyone else with genetics / cell physiology knowledge would agree, this isn't ground breaking - just time consuming :P

It gets funding and pisses off the religious.

Shit, if I had a spare billion laying around I'd throw it at the science of homeless wrestling just to see if the scientists find a way to grow extra arms on them...

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
They should inject it into pigeons to see if they become synthetic pigeons.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by numinis
awesome,

i'm one step closer to my life goal now...
(having a raptor as a pet)

and btw... shit people are against this as well... everytime something cool happens some darn retards try to stop it because of the "ethics" and risks

well I for one would rather die because of a synthetic life going crazy then to something like cancer/age

**** dinosaurs, they can make real life pokemon!
B|-----------------MEEDLY
G|-----------------------------MOODLY
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------WEE
A|DUN-DUN-----------------------------------------DEEWOP
E|DUN-DUN-------------------------------DOON
Holy shit, they could actually make dinosaurs again. DO IT PLEASE, that would be so ****ing awesome.

edit: with a lot of further research and technological innovation, yeah, but it's apparently possible.
Quote by joemama9119
Holy shit, they could actually make dinosaurs again. DO IT PLEASE, that would be so ****ing awesome.

edit: with a lot of further research and technological innovation, yeah, but it's apparently possible.

we should start our own organization, i'm pretty sure we could get the project going with donations.... there should be enough dino loving people like us in this world

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
I'm not liking all this scienctific shit at the moment, if all of them are true. Some bad shit is gonna happen
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by padgea7x
I'm not liking all this scienctific shit at the moment, if all of them are true. Some bad shit is gonna happen

Quote by Flashheart

Why don't we use those microorganisms to clean the Louisiana spill haha.

You seem to know your shit though, why are you on the pit? hahaha
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.