we were using our PA a few days ago at practice. we have to turn our amps up in order to be heard over the drums and therefore the singer has to turn up the PA so he can be heard over all of us. our Pa is REALLY old, i don't know if the brand is even around anymore. it is a Sunn Model-5 speakers and the Sunn Alpha 4 head unit (were it all plugs into. the speakers are all powered by the unit. (500 watts) and we also have a monitor by the singer so he can hear himself a little better its 13 years old and is called something really generic like master sound or something.

any way i bought a splitter and ran a cord from the back of the unit were the speakers are plugged in to the monitor out front. and it was sounding nice. (nicer then usual, i just fixed it, a wire wasn't making contact to i soldered it back together) so it was the first time we have used all 3 speakers together. the monitor is active so it wasn't being power by the unit. and at about the end of our 3rd song, the speakers quit all except for the monitor. we looked in the unit and opened the speaker cabinets, nothing was fried and all the speakers are fine (other than the rips in the cones) we think it might be a fuse. but im not sure.

so if anyone has any solutions PLEASE help me. or if you can suggest an affordable, loud PA system that would be great. any help is immensely appreciated.
Sometimes I don't know why, we'd rather live than die.
We look up towards the sky, for answers to our lives.
We may get some solutions, but most just pass us by.
Don't want your absolution, 'cause I can't make it right.

you lost the game
Wait, I'm confused. You used the speaker output to run the powered monitor?

If you're using passive speakers and an active monitor, you need to use different outputs for each. You can't send the output of a 500 watt amplifier to an active monitor.

Could you clarify how it was connected and what jacks you used?
there are 2 outs in the back for the original speakers. i used a 1/4 inch Y splitter from one of the speaker outs to the monitor in front.

you lost the game
Quote by BlaizTaylor
there are 2 outs in the back for the original speakers. i used a 1/4 inch Y splitter from one of the speaker outs to the monitor in front.

You shouldn't do that because
1) You're sending an amplified signal to another amplifier which isn't expecting such a huge voltage.
2) Using a y-splitter puts the two speakers in parallel and messes with the impedance. You won't get the ideal power transfer.

Set up your system the way it used to be, without the Y cable, just to try out the speakers and see if they still work.

What jacks does the mixer have on the back? I can't seem to find a good picture or manual.
Is this it?
Last edited by sashki at May 21, 2010,
it's old so it's just 2 1/4 inch speaker outputs. we took out the splitter and nothing work still. it has some other out for pedals and such

you lost the game
Last edited by BlaizTaylor at May 21, 2010,
Well, I can't really help you there. Sorry.

See if you can borrow some equipment from friends and mix and match amps and speakers to determine what exactly is broken.
Peavey makes a ton of affordable PA stuff. You could find a similar second-hand device.
we might just buy a new one. we have plenty of money we just don't want to spend it if we don't have to. we have a gig on the 30th (grad party) and we need a PA

you lost the game
I feared that you were refering to the pit as your father...

thank god you didn't.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I don't think running an amplified signal to a powered monitor is even remotely close to being a good idea, but I would expect the monitor to break, not the amp. It sounds like the amp isn't working though, it might have fused or it could be blown. 500 Watts is surely overkill for practising though? My band use a 120W PA and we don't need to put that above about half way to hear vocals over the drums, without any monitors..
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.