learn the 5 pentatonic scale shapes. know how to play them all and most importantly what notes you are playing. pretty soon you realize how many notes are the same.
Quote by patrickodang
learn the 5 pentatonic scale shapes. know how to play them all and most importantly what notes you are playing. pretty soon you realize how many notes are the same.

telling him that could possibly result in him wanting to put the guitar down.
I say find a chart that has all the notes on the guitar and play them. Then go onto scales and what not. he/she needs to familiarize with the mechanics of the guitar first
paper and pen, draw the fret board , and write in the notes of each fret, it may be a boring process but it'll help

you could also get some one to say "tell me the note name of (X fret) on (X string)" for example

him - "tell me the 2nd fret on the Low e string"
you - " F sharp"
him- CORRECT.....
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Go to musictheory.net they have a trainer for this that shows you a note on the fretboard and you need to select what it is.
Hmm learn C in every string up to fret 12 since it repeats after that. Then, learn all B's (since they are next to C), then D and so on. No need to learn them all on the same day, you could take 1 week to learn each note and it'll still be a short time
Theres a program for free called Fretboard Warrior you can download. It's a game of sorts and if you do the exercise daily (it takes 2-5 minutes) you'll learn the fretboard in no time.
Quote by patrickodang

As a beginner I would find this to be a lot of work, I think relating notes to the shapes is a bad idea because the shapes move which means the notes will change. At this point you might as well memorize the fretboard on it's own as one shape.

To me it makes more sense to learn your Pentatonic Shapes and their intervals, this way as the shapes move around the intervals stay the same. I find it easier to get my notes in different keys based on intervals, it also gives me the position of the minor and major root note, and whatever notes are not on the scale can be filled in based on the notes in the scale.

This is the way i'm learning my notes and I find i'm progressing well without so much memorizing. Then again being a beginner I may be going about it the wrong way so what do I know.
Quote by kakos
paper and pen, draw the fret board , and write in the notes of each fret, it may be a boring process but it'll help

you could also get some one to say "tell me the note name of (X fret) on (X string)" for example

him - "tell me the 2nd fret on the Low e string"
you - " F sharp"
him- CORRECT.....

Quizzing always helps cement knowledge in me thats for sure. Once upon a time I played without really knowing what was what until a guy I was jamming with said thats an E right, and after that I knew what that fret was without thinking. You can sometimes drill yourself over and over with fretboard stuff and not progress, sometimes it takes an outside force to help cement that knowledge.
Just make a point of using the note names...when you look at a spot on the fretboard don't think of it as "7th fret on the A string", just call it "E".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just learn the notes on your fat E and A strings, apply your scales accordingly to whichever key you're playing in.

You're life is going to suck if you try to memorize which of the 72 notes your allowed to play and not allowed to play, followed by your major/minor/h, minor/m. minor/sacred ethiopian gypsy bannanaface scales.

If you even get what I'm saying
Quote by PhrenchPhries
Theres a program for free called Fretboard Warrior you can download. It's a game of sorts and if you do the exercise daily (it takes 2-5 minutes) you'll learn the fretboard in no time.

I can't thank you enough for this! I don't know how helpful it will be, but it's definitely something I will play alot at work to kill time. Ponyspanker's link is nice too. LOL, learn guitar and get paid for it.
Last edited by Rt1Rebel at May 22, 2010,
If you have an iPhone theres an App called Fretsurfer, something like Fretboard Warrior but it's not free. Nice thing is that you can play it anytime when you're away from the guitar.
I did this thing where I printed out a few copys of the fretboard diagrams with the notes on and hung them up in places such as in my bathroom and on my wardrobe. Usually when im brushing my teeth or getting changed, I study where the notes are. This is usually one note at a time i.e taking G, I find all G notes on the guitar diagram (minus octaves), so ill think "G...6th string 3rd fret, 5th string 10th fret, 4th string 5th fret, 3rd string open, 2nd string 8th fret, 1st string 3rd fret". I coloured mine in but I stupidly only coloured the whole notes in the same colour and not the sharps/flats. Id recommend to drill it in quicker, to colour in each note a different colour, for example E=blue, F= red, F#=green and so on.

Alternatively, you could just select a string and for 2 mins a day, stum at each fret on that string followed by saying the note outloud.

Learning some rules of the fretboard is a good idea. For starters:
-All notes on Fret 12 is the same as the notes if the string was open.
-Fret 5 is the same note as the string below it open (with the exception of the 3rd string where it is fret 4)
-Fret 7 is the same note as the string above it open (with the exception of the 2nd string where it is fret 8)
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
I honestly wouldn't go out of my way to learn the notes on the fret board. I find that with something such as that, the best way to learn it is to learn things you will need to look up positions of individual notes. Eventually you'll learn the positions of the notes from looking them so often.