How much should it cost to have it carved out into a body with all the proper holes and cavities? I've been toldthat it would cost 2500$ or more to do a complete guitar (buy a neck, tuners, electronics, etc) and that just seems way too high
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by 1959LesPaulVOS
get a body from warmoth, google warmoth

yes I know about warmoth. The thing is I'll have a blank
made from a tree at my house, and I only want a
guitar made if I can use that.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Lol yes, I know, but I'm trying to find out how much it will end up costing. I haven't found a luthier yet.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
if the tree was just recently cut down your gonna have to wait a long ass time till the wood is even usable
That’s how we’ll know. This is not a test, oh no
This is cardiac arrest

Of a world too proud to admit our mistakes
We're crashing into the ground as all fall from grace
Lol I know all this. A professional is preparing the wood. All I want to know is about the price. That's all. Don't worry about the rest.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Most cabinet makers could do the routing pretty easily; hell, look up a local woodshop teacher and ask if he'd mind doing a side job one afternoon. Shouldn't cost more than 200 to route a body, depending on what you'd like.
The price of making a guitar really is about what you put into it and the access you have. If you go to a professional luthier, he may cost you more than what you would get charged from a neighbor with a bandsaw, but the difference is that the luthier will do it right.

Also, it depends what you are doing for a body, do you just want a simple Strat/Dinky shape, or do you want a hollow body or a PRS carved top?

So I would says what bland said, no more than 200.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I'm only looking for a tele lol so yea, nothing complex. The guy putting the wood together is a furniture maker, but he feels uncomfortable doing it for whatever reason. Idk I'll try to track down some plans online and let him see them.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at May 21, 2010,
It would cost less to buy a template, a jigsaw, a router, and router bits than to pay someone else to do it. Would you consider doing it yourself? If no, why not? Telecaster bodies aren't difficult to do.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
Quote by Handgrenade
It would cost less to buy a template, a jigsaw, a router, and router bits than to pay someone else to do it. Would you consider doing it yourself? If no, why not? Telecaster bodies aren't difficult to do.

Well, the why is that I suck with tools, and while the experience would be awesome, and like you said, not that hard in terms of finishing, I really just want this guitar to be good, you know? This is probably the only chance I'll have to have a guitar made from a tree at my house, and therefore, the project would have a lot of sentimental value, and if I screwed it up, i would be very pissed at myself.

The guy i'm trying to convince to do it is a friend of the family who has been working on furniture for a long time, and he is actually making an entertainment center for us from the same tree, so i'm hoping that I can convince him of how easy it is to do all the cutting, and then i would just get a warmoth/fender neck off the internet and do the hardware stuff myself or through a local shop.

thanks y'all for the help by the way.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Jason Jillard
your going to have to let that wood from your tree dry fro about 2 years before you can even use it..

ok lol, i know this. it's been through a kiln and everything. the tree fell down last year and has since been chopped, and prepared for being turned into an entertainment center. Like i said, a professional is handling this.
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Not trying to force you to do something you don't want to do, but I'd recommend at least giving it a try yourself. You could make several bodies out of cheap/free wood (old 2x4's, plywood, etc) for practice. Then, if that doesn't work out, take it to a professional.

Before I made my first neck I did this....constructed a few necks out of pine 2x4's I had in the garage. It helped a lot.
[thread="1285220"]First Build - Zebrawood Tele[/thread]
[thread="1288529"]Second Build[/thread]
[thread="1334385"]Curbside Build[/thread]
Quote by Handgrenade
Not trying to force you to do something you don't want to do, but I'd recommend at least giving it a try yourself. You could make several bodies out of cheap/free wood (old 2x4's, plywood, etc) for practice. Then, if that doesn't work out, take it to a professional.

Before I made my first neck I did this....constructed a few necks out of pine 2x4's I had in the garage. It helped a lot.

I might end-up doing this if the guy I'm working with backs out, and I can't find a luthier below the $2000 mark.

I'm doing research all summer, though, so I'm not exactly going to have the time or location (i'm at school) to do any sort of work like that.

thanks for the encouragement, though!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Maybe you could just make the template, or have your friend make the template with you, just out of plywood or something, then if you mess up, it's not that bad, then you use your template to just route along to shape the body.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA