after being strictly a rhythm player for years, I decided I want to play more lead. I was just wondering what tricks or techniques some of you guys use in creating your solos, my last band was thrash, but Im hoping to start more of a doom/sludge style band.
Pick a key, mess about with scales in that key. Or just play whatever sounds good.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
lol i don't know anything about doom or sludge...but i play in a melodic hardcore/progressive/metal/weird genre band. whenever i start writing a solo, i just go off of the key, use a corresponding arpeggio, and base it off of that. but i also throw in some scale runs and other notes. just use sweeps extremely sparingly.
when you use arpeggios, do you use like a chord progression like the I-IV-V or do you just play them in octaves like play just G's, or mix them up?
For doom/sludge, just re-appropriate classic blues solos, with a bit more shred on the side. Sorted!!!
ultimate-guitar is for idiots.
I come up with a melody in my head that I think would sound good. Then I try to piece it together on the guitar. I can take a lot of time and practice, but it becomes second nature when you learn to control scales. If you can't memorize or remember the melody in your head, try whistling the main parts out and recording it.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by matman1310
when you use arpeggios, do you use like a chord progression like the I-IV-V or do you just play them in octaves like play just G's, or mix them up?

i mix it up, depending on the song.
Coolio, because I know most of the scales, Im just more interested in the structure of a solo, guess I should of been more specific
If it's a new scale, I learn it and improvise with just some chords looped to get it in.
For my own songs I always improvise live, it's just the way I've done it unless it's a cover with a solo that isn't all that difficult to learn. I guess you could say I'm lazy haha :P
so like i asked the guy about arpeggios, do you stay with the same scale the whole time, or do you change them up as long as its in key?sorry for the noob questions just trying to get some ideas
I just improvise a few things, take what I like from each attempt and see if I can make something cool out of all the bits and pieces.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
I just improvise a few things, take what I like from each attempt and see if I can make something cool out of all the bits and pieces.

Same.
I choose a key, play as many notes of the pentatonic scale in that key (or not, whatever) I can think of as fast as I can, then use my whammy bar as much as physically possible.

Guess who I am (I'll give you a hint, my band's name rhymes with "Player")
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
I always keep a bunch of sheets of blank tab in my practice area. Whenever I'm noodling or improvising or whatever, and come up with something that sounds cool, I'll stop and scribble it down real quick so that I don't forget it. I also work on my improvising a lot. Oftentimes I'll practice by finding an interesting fragment, and saying, ok, I'm going improvise and use this fragment as much as I possibly can. So I learn how to use the fragments in lots of different scenarios in different positions on the neck, and learn it well enough that I can pull it out on the fly. So by doing that the cool fragment becomes part of my bag of tricks that I can use. All of this builds up a lick library for me to use in constructing solos.
For the actual solo, I will jam to the backing track, and improvise it roughly. That allows me to figure out the basic arc of the solo. And since I spend so much time building the lick library, I have plenty to draw from. Then I'll sit down and figure out what the hell I was doing, and tighten it up and work on any parts I'm not happy with.
Use the Am or any minor pentatonic scale. (Compensate using a talkbox)

Who am I?
Parker Fly
Epiphone G-400
Gibson Faded SG
Line 6 AX2 212 100 watt
Line 6 Spider 2 75 watt
Ovation Celebrity Deluxe
Do what everyone else said, but... record EVERYTHING - even just when you are noodling.

You will inevitably play a killer solo or at least parts of one but if you don't record it then there is a good chance you will forget and then it's gone forever. When you find something really cool you don't have to panic that way and start trying to scribble it down before you forget it.
Best thing you can possibly do if you want a solo that you like it record yourself singing over the section with the solo and then transcribe that onto guitar.

Failing that don't just let yourself play what you know and really listen to what you're doing, think about where you want your solo to go and the sound you want.

Quote by jamespweb

Who am I?

The talkbox would make you Peter Frampton or Richie Sambora... however I'm assuming you actually mean wah and you're getting at Kirk Hammett.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at May 22, 2010,
pick a key and a scale...take the scale and add some notes, use pull offs and hammer ons, slides, taps, bending, and tremolo picking and con coax a solo
Gear:
Dean Flying V
Franciscan Model A ClassicalGuitar
Ibanez Acoustic
Dean Acoustic Bass EABG
Mitchell Mu-70 Ukulele
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Korg Kaossilator
Yamaha Keyboard
Boss Metal Core
Fishman RareEarth Humbucker
Quote by jamespweb

Who am I?

Great post. No, really.

Anyways, I either compose it beforehand or improvise it along the same lines as Aleksi.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.