So ok I read about how an elegy is structured in greek but they didn't give any indication of how it is written in English, so my question really is can you subsitute the long/short syllable structure of the greek language for the English stressed/unstressed?
Wow, this is a good question. I'm gonna have to look that up, partly for myself. Do you have a link about the structure in Greek?
Quote by JustRooster
That's a shamanic incantation of truth if I ever heard one.
*revives, wipes crust off*

Replacing the Greek length-based technique with stress/unstressed technique could probably work, because stress-timed languages like English naturally lengthen and shorten words depending on the position of a word relative to other words in a line.

It would be a matter of choosing words that echo the Greek form of long and short syllables. Writing with stressed/unstressed syllables would be a good starting point, but stressed doesn't always mean longer (and vice versa), and relying solely on that might undermine the 'elegiac' feel.

Still, I think it could work.
Quote by JustRooster
That's a shamanic incantation of truth if I ever heard one.
Last edited by Aeolian Harmony at Jun 16, 2010,
I was excited when I saw this! It's been awhile I am going to get around to trying that. Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.