Does anyone have a peavy vyper 30w or a roland cube?
i'd really like to consider getting one of these
i've heard they are good for my needs
i play a lot of a day to remember and three days grace
stuff like that
i'd like to stay in the modeling amp range because they are good amps
i have a line 6 right now
i want to be able to go down to the 7th fret and palm mute without it sounding flat
If you INSIST on staying with a modelling amp, get the Vypyr if you play metal. For 600$ you could get a 6505+ 112 or a used 5150 and have the only amp you'll ever need for metal.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
um by sounding flat
i mean there's no bounce to it
it sounds lame
just listen to a day to remember and other bands of that nature
when they go to lower frets
like the 7th to mute it sounds like bouncing
it just sounds good
anyway i should probably say my budget
100 to about a little over 300
If you could stretch your budget a little bit you could probably score something really good on the used market. Do you play other types of music or just metal?
Quote by bb155558
um by sounding flat
i mean there's no bounce to it
it sounds lame
just listen to a day to remember and other bands of that nature
when they go to lower frets
like the 7th to mute it sounds like bouncing
it just sounds good
anyway i should probably say my budget
100 to about a little over 300

Intonate your guitar
When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show.
When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.

-The Great George Carlin
Try thicker strings if you want more "chug" (I think that's what your looking for?)
i could be using it for band situations but right now it's really just practice
i don't play just metal
i like some reggae
311 type of stuff
lighter rock
linkin park
some punk like blink 182
by sounding flat
i mean just heavier
sounding
like a chugging sound
Sounding flat is just the worst description for what you're talking about I've ever heard.

Chug and chunky palm mutes is about half in the technique, dude. I like to keep my palm as much off the strings as possible when I palm mute, which alongs to the string to continue resonating a bit for that chunky sound.

A 30 watt solid state isn't going to cut it for band usage, which is why I asked.

I would save up a bit more and get a Line 6 Flextone III. They can be found at around 350 bucks on the used market. Otherwise, a Roland Cube 60 is only 350 bucks, if I recall correctly.
As I said earlier, for more "chug" try thicker strings or maybe get pickups with a higher output. What guitar are you using? Buying a new amp would be the easiest way to achieve more "chug". You will have to spend more than 300$ on a new amp designed for metal though. I recommended some amps a couple posts up, consider those.
okay so maybe my flat sounding describing wasn't good
i do the same thing for muting
it's just that my line 6 spider 4 15 doesn't have enough gain for me to get enough chug and chunky sound when i go down to higher frets
Quote by forsaknazrael
Sounding flat is just the worst description for what you're talking about I've ever heard.

Chug and chunky palm mutes is about half in the technique, dude. I like to keep my palm as much off the strings as possible when I palm mute, which alongs to the string to continue resonating a bit for that chunky sound.

A 30 watt solid state isn't going to cut it for band usage, which is why I asked.

I would save up a bit more and get a Line 6 Flextone III. They can be found at around 350 bucks on the used market. Otherwise, a Roland Cube 60 is only 350 bucks, if I recall correctly.

This is good advice.

A 30w might be loud enough... but something with more headroom like the Flextone is still better. Plus the Flextone just sounds nicer than a Vypyr or Cube.

TS, I'm assuming you're using a Spider?
EDIT: Believe me when I say: The Spider has more than enough gain. It's just that gain doesn't make up for tone and Spiders are sucky little pieces of crap. But I guess you already know that.
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 21, 2010,
When chugging like for breakdowns, move your picking hand more towards the bridge and lightly mute the strings so they still resonate.
yes i am but its a spider 4 15 which is really not that great in sound quality
all i want is an amp that will be heavy sounding on higher frets like in a day to remember
they go down to the 7th on monument and it sounds better than when i do it
it sounds more like a chug
Get a better guitar, or maybe have yours setup properly? Maybe your action is way too low and the fret buzz is killing the strings vibrations?
Quote by bb155558
yes i am but its a spider 4 15 which is really not that great in sound quality
all i want is an amp that will be heavy sounding on higher frets like in a day to remember
they go down to the 7th on monument and it sounds better than when i do it
it sounds more like a chug

Yeah, that's because it's a tiny ass practice amp with a small speaker. get an amp like the Flextone III with a 12" speaker and you'll be fine.
Yes, get a bigger amp that will provide more of a "thump" when palm muting. Your ear for tone has gotten better and the little spider isn't cutting it anymore.
Quote by forsaknazrael

If you have your hand just laying on the strings your gonna have no life to your palm mute, your basically playing dead notes. Make sure your palm muting properly and also if you want that heavy chuggy sound dial your amp in so it's more bassy. I have a shitty old cr 212 and i can get a nice chug goin on it.
When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show.
When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.

-The Great George Carlin
Quote by forsaknazrael
How does a Spider not have enough gain? They've got stupid and useless amounts of gain.

This , also you can get that 'pounding' chug thing going on without that much gain anyway, it's about your eq, your pickup position and how you place your hand to mute.