Right now I've got a Peavey Vypyr 30. I love the distortion I can get out of it. I've played tube amps and my Vypyr side-by-side, and decided that even though the tube distortion was slightly superior, the Vypyr does an amazing job with high-gain music.

The problem is that the Vypyr's cleans suck. A lot. My friend has a MIA Strat and even it sounds cheap and digital through the twin or classic setting on my Vypyr.

I'm buying an American Standard Strat soon and I need an amp that can get me good clean sounds, for a price that won't destroy my dignity.

I'm talking under 300 bucks. From what I've heard, the Fender Frontman series has good cleans and bad distortion. That's what I'm looking for. If I need distortion, I can just use a good distortion pedal, right?

Red Hot Chili Peppers-ish cleans..."Under the Bridge" is what I'm aiming for.

What should I look for? Thanks!
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Peavey Bandit? I've got one and it's very good for cleans in my opinion.
Quote by DeadSoloist
Reported. This is your own auction.

Anyway, the Fender Frontman has good cleans, but horrible distortion. I used to have the 15W version. Be warned: a distortion pedal will NOT make it sound good. For 300 bucks you may consider the Roland Cube, but it's not a huge upgrade from the Peavey.
Quote by JayLacelle
Worst advice ever.

Seriously I would look at the fender blues jr. Nice cleans and I bet you could find one used inside your budget.
Does the blues jr. take pedals well? I remember hearing it doesn't have an effects loop. I could be wrong obviously.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by Ayses
Does the blues jr. take pedals well? I remember hearing it doesn't have an effects loop. I could be wrong obviously.

It doesn't have an effects loop but it takes pedals VERY well. In fact effects loops are pointless on single channel clean amps.
my own auction? I dont even ****in live in the US... Poglia seriously you got better stuff to do then report people.
Oh yea and the blues jr. doesnt respond to pedals really well
the thing about the frontmans does the EXACT SAME THING
Look into the Bandit, it's very powerful for its price too, but without sacrificing quality.
You're an idiot or a troll. My Blues Jr. takes pedals very well, other than my FD-2. And the Frontman I used to own made everything you put through it sound like shit. And used Blues Jrs. go for under $300 used. There's really nothing else to consider at your price point for cleans.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Get a Roland Cube 30. The cleans and distortion sound surprisingly ''real'' and good for a Modeling SS amp
Quote by fly135
I think the cleans on my Vypyr 15 are pretty good.
I almost don't believe you lol. I've played on multiple Vypyrs with multiple guitars and the cleans have always sounded PRETTY bad.

How do you get a good clean out of it?
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Might have something to do with how loud you crank it. I haven't used it much lately and since I keep it in my office at work I don't play it very loud. But digital isn't something that comes to mind when playing it clean.

Ironically the Vypyr allegedly has analog transtube distortion. But moderate bluesy gain tones sound grainy and then digital does come to mind.
well what kind of cleans are you looking for theres the sterile SS cleans think roland or line 6, now sterile isnt a bad word, they just arent warm, they are very clean, then you have the tube warm clean, which are you looking for? i like line 6 cleans, i have an older flextone II for practice and overall its a decent amp to practice, and record some things with, for a solid warm clean though i prefer fender or marshall, tube of course
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
I would say get a frontman and A/B Box that bitch with your vypyr.
Gear

Fender American standard ash Telecaster
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Fender American FSR Chambered Telecaster
Fender HH FMT Telecaster

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40w Amp
Quote by DeadSoloist
my own auction? I dont even ****in live in the US... Poglia seriously you got better stuff to do then report people.
Oh yea and the blues jr. doesnt respond to pedals really well
the thing about the frontmans does the EXACT SAME THING

You sir are a moron. Blues Jr. Takes pedals out front better than any other amp I've heard. Their great clean amps. Highly recommend looking into this.
Buy a Vox VT15. It’s cheap and covers a wide range of great vintage and modern clean sounds. Or if you really want to keep it simple get a used Vox Pathfinder for under $100.
Alright, used blues jr it is!
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M