Hey guys hows it going

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips or help with this song i just can't seem to get the right sound going, as in i can't seem to get that thick/heavy sounding guitar.

Any idea on what amp settings/ pedals they used for this song?

I am using a kelly ke3 and a hiwatt amp.

Cheers guys.
What are your current settings on your amp?
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
well earlier Metallica sounds were pretty straight forward just about dimed out everything and went for it. They started sculpting a bit more and rolled back some of the mids as they got more modern. I would say maybe sculpt back the mids to eith 3o'clock or noon and crank the bass and Highs to taste depending on response on the amp. if you are running a pedal depends the voicing but anything geared for higher gain should do it no problem.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Well, are you trying the slower part? I'm pretty sure that's 3 guitars, and one's playing lower notes. I think you might be able to use a pitch shifter to imitate it, but I'm not 100% sure. For the first and last parts I've got pretty much the same settings as you going but with the bass at 9, and it sounds fine, so I wouldn't know how to help you there.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by timmmmyah
as in i can't seem to get that thick/heavy sounding guitar.

I'm assuming your talking about the intro rhythm that precedes the bass solo and harmonized leads? I would cut the gain some for a rhythm tone. James used a Mesa Mark IIC+ for MOP. I read somewhere that he hated using dist. boxes and preferred the natural overdrive of his amps. Are you playing to a backing track? One important thing I have learned with guitar tones (especially metal) is that it will sound completely different when you add bass and drums to it. People tend to over compensate for the lack of bass and drums by adding excessive amounts of gain or scooping the mids too much and boosting the bass and highs. James was known to add track upon track of his rhythm in the studio to make it sound thicker. So try finding a backing track or bassist & drummer to practice with. It will make a world of difference.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."