I'm a complete beginner at singing but i've been playing guitar for awhile. I have a few ''songs'' made up that i have lyrics to and know where i'd like to put them in the context of the song but i'm not sure how to go about singing on key. Here's an example of a song i made with some vocals( http://www.purevolume.com/menoralposes ) but i'm sure im not singing on key. How would i go about learning to sing to that or other things ive made? It's not really possible for me to get a teacher so i'd like to find some lessons or info online.
Last edited by cal1fub3ralle5 at May 21, 2010,
Know what key your song is in.
Then sit down with your keyboard/piano(thats me) and just start singing the lyrics. Making sure your hitting the notes.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE MELODY DOWN FIRST...In the chorus. Then build on from that
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
Figure out the melody on piano/guitar and sing along to that, at the moment it sounds like you're just mumbling into a mic with no melody or anything. Once you have the melody down note-for-note you can match it with your voice and go from there, btw it also sounds like you're singing way too low in your voice, transpose the song up a few semitones until it sounds comfortable for your range.
Sorry if this is a noob question, but how would i figure out the melody?
Last edited by cal1fub3ralle5 at May 23, 2010,
Well uh... do you have a melody for your song yet? If not, write something on guitar first and try to sing along to that. If you've already got an idea try to transcribe that onto guitar and then make sure you're matching every note with your voice.
Mabey try not to slur your speech so much too, try to pronounce each word, slowly at first, one at a time. This will probably help a ton.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
It sounds like old beck!
i've got a gun in my hand but that gun won't cock
my finger's on the trigger but that trigger seems locked
i can't stop staring at the tick tock clock
and even if i could i would never give up
Thanks for the beck comparison, even though it was sarcastic i still appreciate it
I think i understand abit better now but i'm still confused.
Say my song is in the key of C. Does the vocal melody always have to have a C where the guitar is playing a C, or just when it starts?
Assuming the previous statement is correct, where can i go after the C? Do i have to follow a certain scale, the scale of the progression, or something else.
Also, could i make a vocal melody by just following the notes the guitar is playing, like a bass line sorta?
Sorry for all these questions, and thanks for your responses.
Last edited by cal1fub3ralle5 at Jun 1, 2010,
you don't need to ever change keys in the melody of your song, I'd actually recommend if you're just starting out to just stick to a single key until you figure out how to make the key changes flow.
A lot of my songs still don't use key changes, same with a lot of pop music unless it's just transposing the last chorus up a step or two.

If it's in C, write the melody in C for now. And no the melody doesn't need to use a C at the start of every bar or anything, it doesn't even need to have a single C in the entire song's melody but it's a good starting point.
Quote by Cheeseman07
you don't need to ever change keys in the melody of your song, I'd actually recommend if you're just starting out to just stick to a single key until you figure out how to make the key changes flow.
A lot of my songs still don't use key changes, same with a lot of pop music unless it's just transposing the last chorus up a step or two.

If it's in C, write the melody in C for now. And no the melody doesn't need to use a C at the start of every bar or anything, it doesn't even need to have a single C in the entire song's melody but it's a good starting point.

So basically i can do anything i want with the notes CDEFGAB?
hi

a little but a very useful tip for u all just feel the lyrics and then make ur mind for singing
Quote by cal1fub3ralle5
So basically i can do anything i want with the notes CDEFGAB?

Yes, if it's in the key of C major.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud